Dual Netgear Routers - Extend Range

Mattredsox

Hello! I currently own two Netgear routers, one is a WNDR4500 and the other is a WNDR3700. My main goal is to cover my entire two-story house with a wifi signal.

My current setup is the 4500 setup upstairs on a wired connection broadcasting on the SSID MattNetworkUp and uses both the 5 and 2.5 GHz. Downstairs, I have the 3700 broadcasting on the SSID MattNetwork and also using both 5 and 2.4 GHz. (The upstairs and downstairs routers use different channels).

Although this setup works really well for my stationary PCs upstairs and downstairs and doesn't reduce the bandwidth like other solutions will, it is extremely inconvenient for my mobile devices. My family and I are constantly having to bounce between the "up" and "down" wifi networks as we move around the house, and both iOS and android don't make the transition process between wifi networks very seamless.

Could anyone make some recommendations on how I could configure my two routers so that I can achieve the maximum range and bandwidth throughout my house? This could mean flashing either or both of the routers with a custom firmware, whatever is required.

If there simply isn't a good solution with my current hardware, I would be open to consider purchasing additional hardware as a last resort.

Thanks so much!

Just set them to the same SSID. When the devices are inactive on the network, they should switch to the stronger signal.