CPU usage limited to 43%

Oberon.Smite

My friend's FX 8320E is limited to 43% usage, 1.1Ghz. He's using some Antec water cooler. His idle is 13, under load it's only 18. And this is while I'm running Prime 95 on his system. Dose anybody know what's happening? It's also causing him to score REALLY low on benchmarks. He scored a 2.03 on Cinebench, which is REALLY strange.

First of all, the temps aren't right. Use HWiNFO to read the temps, 13 and 18 can't be right.

Also, what motherboard do you have?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

impossible his idle is 13 and load 18 unless his room is 0 degrees or hes using a liquid chiller

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Sounds like thermal throttling, those temps are ridiculous unless you're in the arctic circle...

Sig under construction.

Sounds like thermal throttling, those temps are ridiculous unless you're in the arctic circle...

Probably liquid nitrogen cooling that he stole from K|NGP|N :D or there's black ice left over inside his case from his vacation to Antarctica. 

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

First of all, the temps aren't right. Use HWiNFO to read the temps, 13 and 18 can't be right.

Also, what motherboard do you have?

He's using an MSI 970 GAMING and also an Antec Khuler 1250. The temps are basically impossible, as I said.

My friend's FX 8320E is limited to 43% usage, 1.1Ghz. He's using some Antec water cooler. His idle is 13, under load it's only 18. And this is while I'm running Prime 95 on his system. Dose anybody know what's happening? It's also causing him to score REALLY low on benchmarks. He scored a 2.03 on Cinebench, which is REALLY strange.

Does your friend have power settings to performance mode ? And does he have a Asus motherboard or anything else that can change voltage and what not. For example ASuite screwed with my power settings and caused my cores to go to 1.4 ghz. So I had to change it to auto.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

This is his friend. I reinstalled Windows twice and got all new drivers. My PC is not performing anywhere near what it should. I originally intended for crossfire 290s but even with one 290 the cpu is bottlenecking everything. Could this be a motherboard issue? This cpu was brand new from when i RMA'ed my old cpu with AMD. What about the PSU? My psu is a 80+ gold EVGA 1000w. However, I got it from newegg refurbished but it should still be fine right? Which parts should I rma or is it entirely a software issue. All help is appreciated. I will post screenshots when I have the time. I was looking forward to a great summer with a kickass gaming pc but right now its trash :(

Windows power management is set to performance mode. All catalyst/amd drivers are installed.

This is his friend. I reinstalled Windows twice and got all new drivers. My PC is not performing anywhere near what it should. I originally intended for crossfire 290s but even with one 290 the cpu is bottlenecking everything. Could this be a motherboard issue? This cpu was brand new from when i RMA'ed my old cpu with AMD. What about the PSU? My psu is a 80+ gold EVGA 1000w. However, I got it from newegg refurbished but it should still be fine right? Which parts should I rma or is it entirely a software issue. All help is appreciated. I will post screenshots when I have the time. I was looking forward to a great summer with a kickass gaming pc but right now its trash :(

Hmm. I'm not sure. PSU sounds like it should be fine for years to come. Make sure that all the motherboard and CPU power connectors are plugged in properly on both ends, maybe the board has bad VRMs and can't deliver the full amount of power they should be able to give?

Sig under construction.

This is with prime 95 running in the background. As you can see multiple programs report temp as 18 degrees C when my ambient is 30 degrees C. Which part is at fault for this? And my speed is limited to 1.x ghz on a 4.0ghz boost cpu

post-182571-0-94103300-1436131712_thumb.

I just overclocked my cpu from 3.2 to 4.6ghz. But in prime95 the cpu usage is still 30-40 and the speed stays at 1.3ghz. However the temp has gone up from 18 degrees to 27 degrees c with the cooler running at silent. I will be RMA'ing this CPU. :( This would be my 3rd cpu. I should have bought it from a store so at least I didn't have to deal with shipping. This is my 1st time building a PC but I have heard bad things about AMD CPUs. Next time I will probably switch to intel.

This is with prime 95 running in the background. As you can see multiple programs report temp as 18 degrees C when my ambient is 30 degrees C. Which part is at fault for this? And my speed is limited to 1.x ghz on a 4.0ghz boost cpu

Surely his CPU Vcore should be more than 0.8v ? clear Cmos and try again ?

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

Totally forgot about CMOS. Will try that when I have time. But this motherboard is practically new and speeds were at stock. But still worth a shot

Totally forgot about CMOS. Will try that when I have time. But this motherboard is practically new and speeds were at stock. But still worth a shot

yea good idea , but as i said , it should be using more voltage than that , my 8350 uses 1.4v @stock settings , the 8320e will use less but it should be more than 0.8v

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

Thanks for the suggestion, but my cpu still wont go above 43% and the temps were completely wrong(17c under load). I will rma this cpu as soon as I can. Hopefully its not a motherboard problem because this will be my 2nd time and I accidentally broke one of the pcie lane latches. My friend tested my asus r9 290 and its doing just fine in unigine heaven. I hope that this issue gets resolved so I can get into 1440p gaming :(

Thanks for the suggestion, but my cpu still wont go above 43% and the temps were completely wrong(17c under load). I will rma this cpu as soon as I can. Hopefully its not a motherboard problem because this will be my 2nd time and I accidentally broke one of the pcie lane latches. My friend tested my asus r9 290 and its doing just fine in unigine heaven. I hope that this issue gets resolved so I can get into 1440p gaming :(

i doubt its a faulty CPU , its very rare to have a defective CPU , normally they are dead or working fine , not inbetween 

there has to be something in the bios stopping the voltage going over 0.8v

My Pc Specs

i doubt its a faulty CPU , its very rare to have a defective CPU , normally they are dead or working fine , not inbetween 

there has to be something in the bios stopping the voltage going over 0.8v

Also as far as the temps go , AMD sensors are known for being crap 

My Pc Specs

I already overclocked the processor once to 4.6ghz by raising the voltage to around 1.4v. I will see if I can force a higher voltage in the bios. Stock voltage for this chip is around 1.125 I think

I already overclocked the processor once to 4.6ghz by raising the voltage to around 1.4v. I will see if I can force a higher voltage in the bios. Stock voltage for this chip is around 1.125 I think

hmmmmmmm go into the bios and reset eveything that way , maybe Cmos clear didnt work properly , find out what the stock voltage is and force it to that to begin with

My Pc Specs

I tried forcing higher voltages but cpu usage was locked at around 40%. I am going to rma my cpu asap. Hopefully its not a motherboard or psu issue because those would be a pain to ship. I will keep updating but so far the only problem with my build is the cpu. My friend who borrowed one of my 290s for my amd build is getting 80fps on ultra 1080p.

i just thought of one more thing 

search for "power options" in your start menu , 

What ever is highlighted in there , clock " change plan settings"

The Click on "change advanced power settings "

find , "processor power managment " and open that sub menu , you will then see minimum and maximum processor state , set them both to 100% 

that may fix your problem

My Pc Specs

Clear CMOS. Maybe you have the multiplier reduced in the BIOS or the voltage is very low.

I would try the Set power limit thingy in Windows.

I personally have min to 0 and max to 100.

Update drivers.

Increase stock volts at stock settings.

Update and clear Cmos. Is that CPU fully supported by that motherboard?

Enable "turbo boost". Well the equivalent of it for AMD if that doesn't work then,

Disable power saving features in Bios

Then take if from there.

You are using a fully supported AM3+ board yes?

It's not a race to the bottom.