Do you recommend the r9 390 over the gtx 970?

It's my first time building a pc and I'm not sure which graphics card to go with between the r9 390 the gtx 970? Please help and try explain your answer! :)

It's my first time building a pc and I'm not sure which graphics card to go with between the r9 390 the gtx 970? Please help and try explain your answer! :)

if you dont need to pay for the electricity or its cheap ,then yes the 390. i like the compute performance of the 390 when i need it. and generally dont like closed/proprietary approach.

vram is very useful for editing 4k

If you want more vram go for the 390, the 970 is a very potent card though. It also depends on how much you are willing to pay.

If it's significantly cheaper yes. If you want to play on 4K, yes.

Otherwise no.

who cares...

I'll recommend whichever is cheaper...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Both are great, the R9 390 has VRAM advantage and cheaper (not sure about temperature, I don't have this GPU) if your PSU can handle it then you can go for it.

But if your PSU can't handle the GPU, you can go with GTX 970, it's still a good GPU.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

They are both great cards. the 380 has slightly better performance out of the box, but the 970 is a much better overclocker so performance wise they are pretty similiar. The 970 consumes less power, but the 380 has more than double vram (3.5gb on the 970...). 3.5gb of  Vram shouldnt be an issue at 1080p resolution though. To be honest they are both great GPUs, go with the cheaper one..

They are about the same, expect the 970 to overclock a 5-7% better, but the 390 has over double the amount of Vram. It's hard to say how important Vram will be in 2-4 years, but if it's the same price i would go for the larger frame buffer.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

My vote would go for the R9 390, it performs generally equal or better for more Vram.

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

They are about the same, expect the 970 to overclock a 5-7% better, but the 390 has over double the amount of Vram. It's hard to say how important Vram will be in 2-4 years, but if it's the same price i would go for the larger frame buffer.

8GB will be standard next year with HBM V2

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

If you want to play in 1080p, the 3.5 Gb on the 970 is MORE THAN fine.

this video is the biggest lie and missadvice ive ever seen on youtube.

A to the edge overclocked MSI r9 390 4G against a reference clocked EVGA GTX 970 (1050MHz, Boost: 1178MHz)

And ofc the AMD card also wins the Benchmark in GTAV hahahahaha... ofc they denied that they had done this...

thats just ridiculous, the guys that made that video are just fanboys extreme or got money from AMD to do this....

If they would compare the MSI GTX970 4G with the MSI r9 390 4G... it would be acceptable 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

The 390 is the slightly better card but personally I still prefer the 970 for its efficiency. Here's a better comparison, keeping in mind prices vary in different markets

The 390 is the slightly better card but personally I still prefer the 970 for its efficiency. Here's a better comparison, keeping in mind prices vary in different markets

This is a comparison of a 390x vs a gtx970. These both cant compete either.

390x can be compared to a GTX980 not to a GTX970.

The truth is, its hard to find any fair comparison of a R9 390 to the GTX 970. Most Benchmarks ive seen so far posted here are manipulated to either favor the one or the other Card.  

The only thing i can say for sure. The new AMD cards doesnt overclock very well and eat alot of power

And a decent overclocked GTX970 is slightly faster then a reference GTX980. And still eats less power then a GTX980 or R9 390

Its easier to find Benches with reference GTX980's in it and compare them with a atleast factory overclocked R 390's (these cards cant go much higher accept for golden samples). And Nvidia clearly wins this battle. But you might say this isnt fair either (especially on 4k). But you will have an idea of what the cards would look like performance wise when overclocked.

Also if you are planing to play on a 4k resolution i would recommend to neither buy one of them. For 4k get a GTX980ti/FuryX/TitanX

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |