24" 4K vs 27" 1440p

Santiaga
Greetings!

What would be better to buy - 24" 4K monitor or 27" 1440p monitor. Help me, please :)

p.s. now I'm using 1080p 24" monitor.

What are your system specs?

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Due to how terrible scaling is I'd go with a 27" 1440p

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

1440p 27 inch gets my vote. No need for scaling, easier to play games on.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Only get the 4k if you have the hardware capable of running it.

980, 290X 8gb, 980ti, Titan X, 780ti, Titan, Fury X, or 295x2.

If you don't have one of those cards, or don't plan on upgrading to one of those soon after getting the monitor, then get the 1440p. Minimum recommended card for a 1440p is a 970. The 290x 8gb performs better at that res, as a bit of info.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

If your graphic card isn't up for 4k, get the 1440p monitor.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I have 780ti SLI. But can I see a REAL difference between 1080p and 4K on 24" display? And how is it for eyes?

I have 780ti SLI. But can I see a REAL difference between 1080p and 4K on 24" display? And how is it for eyes?

With that you COULD run 4k. But I would recommend 1440p as it is better for scaling.

ALSO, please go ultrawide :)

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

With that you COULD run 4k. But I would recommend 1440p as it is better for scaling.

ALSO, please go ultrawide :)

Ultrawide? I'm not sure about that....

I thought about AOC Q2770PQU or Asus PB278QR for 1440p and about Samsung U24E850R for 4K.

Why not?

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

With GTX 780ti SLI, go for the 4k. You got the performance, why not use it?

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

And what about size? Won't 24" be too small for 4K? This is another subject matter of my dilemma :)

I had the same dilemma for display a couple weeks ago my advice is to go with the display you first chose, I went with the Asus MG279Q 1440p and I am quite disappointed with my choice at the moment due to it arriving with several dead pixels and the 144hz refresh isn't all that noticeable, to me anyway. If you do go 4k though I definitely recommend more than 24" as scaling isn't great for 4k at the moment 27" may be ok but 32" seems to be the sweet spot for 4k right now. just to add 1440p is a great res also if your going for 27" or less :D

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

And btw, what about  Samsung U24E850R input lag? Can't find any review :(

a 24" 4k monitor makes no sense and will be no benefit. a 28" 4k monitor yes.

and please ignore all the 4k scaling issues.. these are all from people who dont have 4k... and just listen to others..

I've had my 4k monitor since january and I've had 0 yes ZERO windows scaling issues.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

and please ignore all the 4k scaling issues.. these are all from people who dont have 4k... and just listen to others..

I've had my 4k monitor since january and I've had 0 yes ZERO windows scaling issues.

Thank you for stating this , I have had the same issue with monitor selection and now you have alleviated my fears. 

Thank you for stating this , I have had the same issue with monitor selection and now you have alleviated my fears. 

my preferred settings for windows at 4k, is large icons and 150% DPI , it basically gives you the same look and feel as 1080p icons and windows, at a much higher resolution. 

you can of course leave it as standard and you could probably fit 10,000 icons on the desktop lol, but i like it my way.

theres non of this blurry text rubbish that people claim. well not with windows anyways. steam doesnt have a 4k skin yet so text is a little bit fuzzy with my settings, but thats not a windows issue, its a steam issue and something valve are most likely working on.

by a 4k monitor with confidence it will be the best choice you've made in a long time! i just wish id have bought mine much sooner than i did!! spent too long thinking it would be a terrible experience based on peoples opinions on here lol

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

my preferred settings for windows at 4k, is large icons and 150% DPI , it basically gives you the same look and feel as 1080p icons and windows, at a much higher resolution. 

you can of course leave it as standard and you could probably fit 10,000 icons on the desktop lol, but i like it my way.

theres non of this blurry text rubbish that people claim. well not with windows anyways. steam doesnt have a 4k skin yet so text is a little bit fuzzy with my settings, but thats not a windows issue, its a steam issue and something valve are most likely working on.

by a 4k monitor with confidence it will be the best choice you've made in a long time! i just wish id have bought mine much sooner than i did!! spent too long thinking it would be a terrible experience based on peoples opinions on here lol

Thanks for the advice, gonna help me quite a bit with my selection. 4K here I come! 

Dont you want to truly enjoy games?

Why do you think people build 3 monitor setups? ... because 16:9 is claustrophobia.

You could go 3440x1440p, that will use less GPU power and it will be more immersive than 4K

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

As far as scaling in 4K-only setups goes, it's mostly fine. Applications scale properly and I've yet to have any program really mess up.

The real problem arrives as soon as you go to run two different monitors (e.g. 4K + 1920x1200) the scaling is horrible in Windows. Win 8.1 only allows you select a single scaling factor across all displays simultaneously, so to get things big enough on your 4K (I've got a 28" 4K and it's still really tiny at 100%) you have to make everything look huge on the other display. Items launched on one display sometimes don't scale when moving to other displays, either. Microsoft reckon they have some magic algorithm that's supposed to compute the correct scaling factor so this problem doesn't occur, but I've yet to meet a single person who has any experience that says it works. The only way around it for some applications is to force it into non-scaling mode in the registry (high-DPI aware applications list) and then scale manually within the program itself. But this of course only works for a set few apps that have the right settings, e.g. Photoshop / Illustrator.

However, these woes should all go away with Win10. Microsoft have said they're changing how it works, so you can now manually configure scaling levels for each monitor independently. Hallelujah!

Workstation: 2x Xeon 8276L (56 cores), 192GB ECC RAM, 4x NVMe SSD in VROC, 2080Ti, Chelsio T520 2x10G NIC

NAS: TrueNAS, 8x 6TB WD Red Pro in RAIDZ2, 96GB RAM, 1TB NVMe L2ARC, Chelsio T520 2x10G NIC

i decided to go UltraWide :) 

Samsung S34E790C - is it good enough?