Gsync vs 144hz

zaxmazr

How noticeable is screen tearing on an 144hz monitor (no gsync) with say..a 980ti?

Because I'm in a pickle. I bought the Asus MG279Q (144hz, freesync optional) originally for the release of the Fury X. 

Well seeing the Fury X isn't performing that great at 1440p, I think the better card for me at the moment would be the 980ti.

If I keep the Asus monitor and run 144hz, do you think I would honestly need gsync? I've heard the tearing is less noticeable at 144hz.

Or should I just stick it out with the underwhelming Fury X? 

Also, I'm not a fanboy of any kind, I just like supporting whomever has the right solution for me. 

Been around since the beginning of LTT & the forums, but mostly just lurk!

Unless you can return the monitor at no cost to you, I'd just say keep it and run with it.

Get a Fury X if having free or gsync really matter that much, IMO gsync and freesync are really overrated anyway

How noticeable is screen tearing on an 144hz monitor (no gsync) with say..a 980ti?

Because I'm in a pickle. I bought the Asus MG279Q (144hz, freesync optional) originally for the release of the Fury X. 

Well seeing the Fury X isn't performing that great at 1440p, I think the better card for me at the moment would be the 980ti.

If I keep the Asus monitor and run 144hz, do you think I would honestly need gsync? I've heard the tearing is less noticeable at 144hz.

Or should I just stick it out with the underwhelming Fury X? 

Also, I'm not a fanboy of any kind, I just like supporting whomever has the right solution for me. 

There is zero tearing if you just turn on v-sync, and unless you are running way above the refresh rate of the monitor, like 200 fps, tearing will be minimal.

I would wait a bit before picking. AMD are sure to optimise the Fury X's performance with drivers, and will unlock the voltage, allowing for proper overclocks that MIGHT outperform the 980Ti.

You can't return the monitor for a Gsync one? :(

I can return it to Newegg, but dont they have a dumb restocking fee? And then on top of that, a Gsync monitor of the same caliber would be around $800 or something, right?

There is zero tearing if you just turn on v-sync, and unless you are running way above the refresh rate of the monitor, like 200 fps, tearing will be minimal.

I mean with Vsync capped at 144fps, would that be silky smooth enough, thus not needing Gsync?

I mean with Vsync capped at 144fps, would that be silky smooth enough, thus not needing Gsync?

I haven't used it, but Linus says that it only really makes a difference when dropping below 60 fps.  Dunno how much of a difference input lag is.

I can return it to Newegg, but dont they have a dumb restocking fee? And then on top of that, a Gsync monitor of the same caliber would be around $800 or something, right?

Their restocking fee is 15%, yeah.

I kindda feel like a monitor is a long term investment so I'd try to make sure it's just perfect.

On the other hand, that mode of thinking might become outdated seeing how monitors are changing nowadays.

Disclaimer: I've never even tried variable refresh-rate.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

then there will be shutters if you turn on v-sync

then there will be shutters if you turn on v-sync

Then are other methods to handle stuttering.  Over 144 fps, turn v-sync on to eliminate screen tearing, below 60 turn v-sync off to remove stuttering.  Between 60 and 144 I don't think it makes much difference with v-sync on or off.  Plus you always have the option to cap fps at 144, so you don't go over and cause screen tearing, and going low doesn't cause stuttering.

You are making a big mistake here

FURY X + Freesync + 144hnz easily better than a 980ti + 144hz

God, the fury X deals blows with the 980ti.

Nothing wrong with it

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

You are making a big mistake here

FURY X + Freesync + 144hnz easily better than a 980ti + 144hz

God, the fury X deals blows with the 980ti.

Nothing wrong with it

There's no doubt the Fury X is a great 4K card, but every benchmark I've seen it loses at 1440p, which is what I'm running.

I have the money, so why not get the better solution?

Also, I'm just asking a question here. I'm not going to just run out and buy something right away.

There's no doubt the Fury X is a great 4K card, but every benchmark I've seen it loses at 1440p, which is what I'm running.

I have the money, so why not get the better solution?

Also, I'm just asking a question here. I'm not going to just run out and buy something right away.

:o

I would say 144hz, Ihave tried Freesync before, and seemed to like a plain 144hz monitor. Since gsync and Freesync are basically the same, you should see the same result to.

Also, who not just cfx two fury xs? Because it is faster than titan X sli

:o

I would say 144hz, Ihave tried Freesync before, and seemed to like a plain 144hz monitor. Since gsync and Freesync are basically the same, you should see the same result to.

Also, who not just cfx two fury xs? Because it is faster than titan X sli

It's impossible to even get one Fury X right now, let alone dos. 

I'm in the market for a single card solution currently (another $1500 going into my sleeve).

It's impossible to even get one Fury X right now, let alone dos. 

I'm in the market for a single card solution currently (another $1500 going into my sleeve).

Ook

Well I recommend water cooling a 980ti with 144hz then :)