To (long-term preferably) owners of Sennheiser HD 558s/598s...

STRMfrmXMN
Go to solution Solved by ShearMe,

Do you think I should just go with the 558s?

That's up to every individual to decide. I'd pick the 558 personally if I was making the decision as they arguably sound the same as the 598, and are cheaper. Hell, I'd go with the 518 for the same reason...

So I'm considering (way out to Christmas but hey) new headphones as my current ones sound mediocre and hurt to wear now that I've owned them and the rubber padding has gone all hard. I've looked through Sennheiser's offerings and like the 598s because of the leather head thing but I want to know how the thing holds up after lots of use? Does the leather get uncomfortable after a long time? Should I consider the 558s instead for the velour headband?

Thanks.

TL;DR: Long term comfort of the headbands on your headphones?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

My 598s don't have leather, they have a velour type material around the ears, and leather on the headband.

I've owned (and commonly used) mine since Black Friday last year, and they're amazing quality. I would recommend them 100%. The fact that they're open backed make everything sound so much better. I would buy them several times over again.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

So I'm considering (way out to Christmas but hey) new headphones as my current ones sound mediocre and hurt to wear now that I've owned them and the rubber padding has gone all hard. I've looked through Sennheiser's offerings and like the 598s because of the leather head thing but I want to know how the thing holds up after lots of use? Does the leather get uncomfortable after a long time? Should I consider the 558s instead for the velour headband instead?

Thanks.

I'm not sure about the leather pads, but I have the velour pads and they are quite comfortable, the thing I don't really like about them is how they get lint on them pretty easily. But then again they are replaceable to that's a plus I suppose. Btw I have the 558, the cable I'd say is a bit too long, but that's my personal preference. 

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

I have a pair of 595s (which have the leather head band and velour ear cups) and comfort wise (at least on my head) are fantastic. A few years back I let my room mate at the time borrow them whenever he wanted to listen to music and he loved them as much as I did. 

My 555s have the velour, and cracked a little bit where the band adjustment mechanism is (like many of them) but they still sound great and they are extraordinarily comfortable.

My 598s don't have leather, they have a velour type material around the ears, and leather on the headband.

I've owned (and commonly used) mine since Black Friday last year, and they're amazing quality. I would recommend them 100%. The fact that they're open backed make everything sound so much better. I would buy them several times over again.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear, yeah I was wondering how the leather headband held up :)

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I'm not sure about the leather pads, but I have the velour pads and they are quite comfortable, the thing I don't really like about them is how they get lint on them pretty easily. But then again they are replaceable to that's a plus I suppose. Btw I have the 558, the cable I'd say is a bit too long, but that's my personal preference. 

Noted, thank you :) I can tie up the cable so that's no issue to me.

I have a pair of 595s (which have the leather head band and velour ear cups) and comfort wise (at least on my head) are fantastic. A few years back I let my room mate at the time borrow them whenever he wanted to listen to music and he loved them as much as I did. 

This question was more about durability of the leather which I just was wondering how they hold up. I don't like how the headband on my headphones has gone all hard and uncomfy. :)

My 555s have the velour, and cracked a little bit where the band adjustment mechanism is (like many of them) but they still sound great and they are extraordinarily comfortable.

Linus himself! Does the velour on the headband stay comfortable after you've owned them for some time? 

This question was more about durability of the leather which I just was wondering how they hold up. I don't like how the headband on my headphones has gone all hard and uncomfy. :)

My bad, I misread.

Well, I have owned my 595s since Summer of 2010, and I have taken good care of them. So far from what I can tell neither my headband, nor the leather has cracked. I haven't used them as much in the last two years as I used to since I got a pair of Beyerdyamic DT770s (which are also fantastic) but they have held up well, and still sound and feel wonderful to this day.

My bad, I misread.

Well, I have owned my 595s since Summer of 2010, and I have taken good care of them. So far from what I can tell neither my headband, nor the leather has cracked. I haven't used them as much in the last two years as I used to since I got a pair of Beyerdyamic DT770s (which are also fantastic) but they have held up well and still sound and feel wonderful to this day.

Awesome! 598s are looking like my choice atm but if the velour doesn't deteriorate and become uncomfy I might go 558s.

Awesome! 598s are looking like my choice atm but if the velour doesn't deteriorate and become uncomfy I might go 558s.

Pretty much any pad material will deteriorate, being pressed up against the skin is a fairly harsh environment. They'll stay comfortable for longer if you periodically wash them, but replacement will eventually be a necessity.

The fact that they're open backed make everything sound so much better.

Does very little for sound quality, in actuality. It's that they are well designed, and built headphones. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Pretty much any pad material will deteriorate, being pressed up against the skin is a fairly harsh environment. They'll stay comfortable for longer if you periodically wash them, but replacement will eventually be a necessity.

I'm just thinking that I might want leather over velour if they age better, I honestly have no idea how either fares after lots of use.

Common issue with the 5*5 series, the 5*8 series doesn't normally have this issue.

I'm just thinking that I might want leather over velour if they age better, I honestly have no idea how either fares after lots of use.

Velour should be washed semi regularly because dead skin builds up, leather/pleather largely needs no maintenance. Over time the foam breaks down, doesn't matter velour or pleather - with Sennheisers this makes them more comfortable, like a perfect fitting glove.

It doesn't, really.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear, yeah I was wondering how the leather headband held up :)

It's held up amazing. After lots of use, it's still extremely comfortable (it's stupidly soft), and the headphones literally show zero sign of wear.

They're great quality.

Comfort wise, I can literally wear them as long as I want, and they never get remotely uncomfortable.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

It's held up amazing. After lots of use, it's still extremely comfortable (it's stupidly soft), and the headphones literally show zero sign of wear.

They're great quality.

Comfort wise, I can literally wear them as long as I want, and they never get remotely uncomfortable.

Awesome! 598s are looking like the ones I want...

The only reason we caution against the 598 is that the 558 sounds the same for like $40 less, and the 518 is close for half the price.

The only reason we caution against the 598 is that the 558 sounds the same for like $40 less, and the 518 is close for half the price.

Still the comfort I'm most worried about. I've never owned velour earcups on headphones and never owned headphones where the headband is velour nor pleather. I wore 518s at a Radio Shack awhile back and likes them though the plastic felt a bit cheap and I've dropped my headphones on occasion and don't know how they would hold up.

Still the comfort I'm most worried about. I've never owned velour earcups on headphones and never owned headphones where the headband is velour nor pleather. I wore 518s at a Radio Shack awhile back and likes them though the plastic felt a bit cheap and I've dropped my headphones on occasion and don't know how they would hold up.

The big audio companies use quality plastic, so a drop shouldn't break them anymore than they'd break any other headphone made of plastic. The harder plastic that may "feel" more premium used in other headphones you may be familiar with is actually more prone to shattering/cracking.

The big audio companies use quality plastic, so a drop shouldn't break them anymore than they'd break any other headphone made of plastic. The harder plastic that may "feel" more premium used in other headphones you may be familiar with is actually more prone to shattering/cracking.

That's up to every individual to decide. I'd pick the 558 personally if I was making the decision as they arguably sound the same as the 598, and are cheaper. Hell, I'd go with the 518 for the same reason...

Thinking I'll meet in the middle with the 558s :) Thank you!