What would you do?

FineVisionz

Hello,  I am planning on upgrading my CPU and GPU.  I was wondering if I should buy the CPU/Mobo and then the GPU once I have money for it or should I just save until I can buy both at the same time?

Thanks

Depending which cpu you buy you will also need to buy a motherboard, so wait and buy both at once

I know I will need to buy a new Mobo, but I am planning on upgrading to a i7 4790k and a GTX 980ti.

Depending which cpu you buy you will also need to buy a motherboard, so wait and buy both at once

He knows this. If you read the OP again, you'll see he says that he would buy the CPU/Mobo.

I'd upgrade your CPU and Motherboard first. I was foolish enough to get a GTX 970, whilst bottlenecking myself behind an FX-6300. (I got a killer deal though..) Don't make the same mistake I did.

Get the CPU than the GPU, as prices for the R9 3-- series will have gone down by the time you'd buy one.

Gonna go with a GTX 980ti for a GPU

He knows this. If you read the OP again, you'll see he says that he would buy the CPU/Mobo.

I edited the post to add that in after he posted.

Hello,  I am planning on upgrading my CPU and GPU.  I was wondering if I should buy the CPU/Mobo and then the GPU once I have money for it or should I just save until I can buy both at the same time?

Thanks

CPU and Mobo first, then GPU.

Planning on making the switch to intel? if so, I'd recommend either a z97 board and an i5 4690K or an h97 board and something like the i5 4460.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I'd upgrade your CPU and Motherboard first. I was foolish enough to get a GTX 970, whilst bottlenecking myself behind an FX-6300. (I got a killer deal though..) Don't make the same mistake I did.

So,  I should upgrade the CPU first, and then the GPU once I get one?  And not wait until I can buy both at the same time?

Thanks

CPU mobo first, then GPU

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

CPU and Mobo first, then GPU.

Planning on making the switch to intel? if so, I'd recommend either a z97 board and an i5 4690K or an h97 board and something like the i5 4460.

Yes,  I am gonna go with a i7 4790k.  Lets not try to get to off topic and make this quick.  what Mobo would you recommend for the i7 4790k ?

I dont know about you, but in the future if you need to upgrade your CPU you will be limited in choices. Not even limited, you will have no choice.

Since you are running a 6300 now I assume that you will be upgrading to a 8320/8350. If in the future you still need to upgrade you literally have nothing else to upgrade to.

If you want a upgrade path I suggest changing the motherboard as well to an Intel based system, that way you can get an i3/i5 now (i3 is already more powerful than a 6300), and then get an i7 next time if you really need it, though i5 will be doing good in gaming for quite some time.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

So,  I should upgrade the CPU first, and then the GPU once I get one?  And not wait until I can buy both at the same time?

If you're comfortable waiting to do it all at once, then do that. It's more of a patience game at that point. I was just thinking that if you get the CPU / Motherboard now, you could fine-tune your overclocks. Not that you can't later, but it could help pass the time until you can get the card.

As for boards, it depends on your budget. 

CPU and mobo and just use your 7850, then when you get the money a fancy new 980ti or .furyX as optimized drivers may benefit it

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

yes, there's no need to buy them together

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

I dont know about you, but in the future if you need to upgrade your CPU you will be limited in choices. Not even limited, you will have no choice.

Since you are running a 6300 now I assume that you will be upgrading to a 8320/8350. If in the future you still need to upgrade you literally have nothing else to upgrade to.

If you want a upgrade path I suggest changing the motherboard as well to an Intel based system, that way you can get an i3/i5 now (i3 is already more powerful than a 6300), and then get an i7 next time if you really need it, though i5 will be doing good in gaming for quite some time.

Have you not seen the other posts?  I am going to go Intel :P  :D  !

I highly recommend grabbing a new GPU first. If you grab a new GPU, yes, you will have to deal with bottlenecking, but you'll be getting a lot more frames per second in just about every game anyway. If you upgrade the CPU first, you'll see very marginal improvements in games, considering your 6300 is probably not bottlenecking the 7850.

If you wait to buy both, you may be able to buy a Skylake processor instead of Haswell, which will be better performing anyway, but that's if you wait long enough.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Yes,  I am gonna go with a i7 4790k.  Lets not try to get to off topic and make this quick.  what Mobo would you recommend for the i7 4790k ?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $139.99

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-05 00:18 EDT-0400

Depends on the budget left over, kI hear this one is pretty damn good http://www.amazon.com/MSI-DDR3-2600-Motherboards-GAMING/dp/B00K23BZVI and there are plenty of other good ones out there as well.

Just wondering, what do you plan on doing with the PC? (in terms of usage)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I highly recommend grabbing a new GPU first. If you grab a new GPU, yes, you will have to deal with bottlenecking, but you'll be getting a lot more frames per second in just about every game anyway. If you upgrade the CPU first, you'll see very marginal improvements in games, considering your 6300 is probably not bottlenecking the 7850.

You are on of the few people who have recommended this,  I will wait and see what other people say about your recommendations.  Thanks!

Depends on the budget left over, kI hear this one is pretty damn good http://www.amazon.com/MSI-DDR3-2600-Motherboards-GAMING/dp/B00K23BZVI and there are plenty of other good ones out there as well.

Just wondering, what do you plan on doing with the PC? (in terms of usage)

I am planning on spending around $150 for the Motherboard.  

And for what I am gonna use the computer for is playing games on a 1080p monitor.  I also do some photo/video editing and music production here and there.

I am planning on spending around $150 for the Motherboard.  

And for what I am gonna use the computer for is playing games on a 1080p monitor.  I also do some photo/video editing and music production here and there.

Alright, then yeah that mobo should do perfect, same for the i7.

I wish I saved up the extra $100 or so and got an i7 4790K instead of i5 4690K... It'd make editing videos and rendering them so much faster..

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $139.99

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-05 00:18 EDT-0400

Looks like a great motherboard.  My PC doesn't have a color scheme yet,  but I am not a big fan of those colors on the motherboard.

You are on of the few people who have recommended this,  I will wait and see what other people say about your recommendations.  Thanks!

A lot of people have it in their mind that the FX-6300 will bottleneck any higher end GPUs, and it will, so they're trying to prevent that. The issue is that if you upgrade to a new CPU, you won't see any added benefits. With a new GPU, you'll see a lot more frames, but your GPU won't be utilized fully.

Just think about it like this.

New Graphics Card = More frames now, even more in the future.

New Processor/Motherboard = Same frames now, a lot more in the future.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.