I tried to overclock and failed :(

Hello guys,

I just bought a new graphics card and I wanted to start overclocking (I never overclocked anything before), so I used MSI Afterburner and I added 10 MHz to the core clock, then I ran Unigine Heaven. I did this to get to a core clock of 1155 MHz on a GTX 780ti and I added 50 mV to the voltage. This is where Heaven stopped. I lowered my core clock to the same as before : black screen and my driver stopped working. Now I can't even run Unigin Heaven benchmark with no overclock at all and I'm really worried. I don't understand what I did and I'm really scared. PLS send help :(

I have a GTX 780ti and i7 4770k.

Yes I wanted to know my score before to start the overclocking

Did you put core clock, memory clock, and voltage offsets back to 0?  Don't forget to hit apply for the changes to take affect.

Yes I wanted to know my score before to start the overclocking

Revert back to stock speeds and voltages but what happens when you try to run it?

I just checked and the only profile I saved has everything back to 0 and I have GPU-Z open just to be sure everything is at default clock.

May seem stupid, but did you try restarting the computer? Also try closing MSI afterburner completely before running the benchmark.  For some cards it can cause instability.

Revert back to stock speeds and voltages but what happens when you try to run it?

It's really slow, like the image stops for a second then speeds up and it stops again. When i turn off Heaven, I have a windows note to tell me that the graphic driver stopped working but recovered.

It's really slow, like the image stops for a second then speeds up and it stops again. When i turn off Heaven, I have a windows note to tell me that the graphic driver stopped working but recovered.

Hmm.. as Speaker1264 said try restarting but also try reinstalling the drivers.

I've had overclocks go lower over time within 6 months on my current GTX970 where more voltage is needed to keep it stable or needing to dialing back but never a complete fail on stock.

May seem stupid, but did you try restarting the computer? Also try closing MSI afterburner completely before running the benchmark.  For some cards it can cause instability.

Yeah I restarted the computer and I just closed MSI afterburner. It's the same thing again : I have like worst than 1 FPS and when i close Heaven i have a notification that the graphic driver stopped working but recovered.

Yeah, try reinstalling the drivers, or revert to an older driver. It seems very unlikely that +10 core and +50 mv would have killed your video card.  Have you tried playing any games??  Do your drivers still crash?

I use Geforce experience, How do I reinstall the drivers? 

Did you screw with the voltage setting?

Download the new Nvidia 353.38 drivers. Google those as those fix a lot of problems introduced by 353.30 driver set.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Did you screw with the voltage setting?

Yes :( 

Download the new Nvidia 353.38 drivers. Google those as those fix a lot of problems introduced by 353.30 driver set.

+1

Yes :(

Don't worry I've done +125 mv on my card to no ill effects.  Not saying all cards are the same, but its unlikely.

I love all of you guys : IT WORKED!!! Now I just want to know if you think that one day I can learn how to overclock my GPU or if you know a really safe way to do it :)

I love all of you guys : IT WORKED!!! Now I just want to know if you think that one day I can learn how to overclock my GPU or if you know a really safe way to do it :)

Not saying voltage caused it all but dont screw with the voltage setting in the future, just some advice.

Not saying voltage caused it all but dont screw with the voltage setting in the future, just some advice.

Thanks, I admit that I cranked the voltage just to take my core clock up faster.