I am suffering from a probably dying sleeve bearing fan. It emits this awful grinding indicating it is running out of lube. I turned it down because it could get irritating and give me a headache. Surely enough, my temps seem to have risen. In BF4, I saw Rivatuner report my core temps at over 74c at times, which is certainly abnormal.

I set my dying front intake fan's rpm back to normal, and it is making whining and buzzsaw/white noise sounds, but my temps are still a tad high, at least from what I perceived/remembered.

How demanding is 3Dmark Firestrike's Physics Test? I usually go into the early 70s on my CPU on it. Today, I saw up to 75c. Is this normal?

Is Front Intake really that vital in a mid-tower? 

Cinebench was also wielding some frightening results. I observed a max core temp of probably 86c. Is this normal or in-range of what one would expect with a stock 4790k with an H80i GT? Idles could be better as well, but it is/was humid out (with some air conditioning), so does that make all of this somewhat redundant?

Specs: Asus ROG Maximus VII Formula (Motherboard) | i7-4790k (CPU) | EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition (Graphics Card) | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (C:) (SSD) | Western Digital Caviar Black 3TB (G:) (HDD) | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (F:) (HDD) | LG 14X BD Rewriter (D:) (Optical Drive) | Corsair H80i GT (CPU Cooler) | Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1600MHz (RAM) | OCZ ZX 850W (Power Supply) | Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer (Case) | Asus ROG Swift VG278Q 144Hz 1440p (Monitor) | Kingston HyperX Cloud (Headset) | Corsair Vengeance K70 (Keyboard) | Corsair Vengeance M60 (Mouse) | Noctua NF-F12 (x4) (Fans).

Woah, 86 Deg C with a water cooler with stock speeds? Get a new fan bro.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

GET A NEW FAN

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Are you really putting your PC at risk over a single fan, go buy a new one for Pete's sake.

I'm not reaching TJ Max, so I would not say it is at "risk".

I am also using multiple fans. My front intake is a Coolermaster LED 200mm fan. It is probably dying.

I am using two NF-F12s in the top.

I have two IPPC NF-F12s mounted to my radiator in addition to all of this.

I cannot confirm for sure, but my temperatures yesterday were likely a result of heat. It was very humid, and could of forced those temperatures.

Cinebench runs in the high 60s on two cores and mid 70s on the others. I would say that is better, but I do not know the average temperature thresholds a Haswell or Haswell Refresh CPU can get on it. Does Cinebench OpenCL utilise AVX 2.0? That could explain the temps.

Specs: Asus ROG Maximus VII Formula (Motherboard) | i7-4790k (CPU) | EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition (Graphics Card) | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (C:) (SSD) | Western Digital Caviar Black 3TB (G:) (HDD) | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (F:) (HDD) | LG 14X BD Rewriter (D:) (Optical Drive) | Corsair H80i GT (CPU Cooler) | Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1600MHz (RAM) | OCZ ZX 850W (Power Supply) | Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer (Case) | Asus ROG Swift VG278Q 144Hz 1440p (Monitor) | Kingston HyperX Cloud (Headset) | Corsair Vengeance K70 (Keyboard) | Corsair Vengeance M60 (Mouse) | Noctua NF-F12 (x4) (Fans).

What is a little warm and humid to you? Outside temps here have been over 70*F(low) for the last month, and have gotten into the 90's for a number of those days.

I keep my house at a fairly consistent 70-75*F and with my tower folding at full power all night it is sitting at 50*C on the CPU and GPU.

Given I am running air cooled on a hyper 212 evo using all 6 cores for the last 24hrs I am seriously rethinking ever switching to water cooling with a single slot rad..

I'm not reaching TJ Max, so I would not say it is at "risk".

I am also using multiple fans. My front intake is a Coolermaster LED 200mm fan. It is probably dying.

I am using two NF-F12s in the top.

I have two IPPC NF-F12s mounted to my radiator in addition to all of this.

I cannot confirm for sure, but my temperatures yesterday were likely a result of heat. It was very humid, and could of forced those temperatures.

Cinebench runs in the high 60s on two cores and mid 70s on the others. I would say that is better, but I do not know the average temperature thresholds a Haswell or Haswell Refresh CPU can get on it. Does Cinebench OpenCL utilise AVX 2.0? That could explain the temps.

What is a little warm and humid to you? Outside temps here have been over 70*F(low) for the last month, and have gotten into the 90's for a number of those days.

I keep my house at a fairly consistent 70-75*F and with my tower folding at full power all night it is sitting at 50*C on the CPU and GPU.

Given I am running air cooled on a hyper 212 evo using all 6 cores for the last 24hrs I am seriously rethinking ever switching to water cooling with a single slot rad..

That seems very impressive. So much that I find it hard to believe for a hex-core using a Hyper 212 Evo. I used to have one back when I was on Z77. It didn't cool very well. I got better P95 temps, but that must be because Haswell does not sit well with it.

It is around 72F here. I consider that to be fairly balmy, plus the humidity that arises from it. I'm not used to temperatures in the 90s. I'm from Massachusetts. It can get as low as -10F during Winter.

Looking back, a few weeks ago I was getting a max Physics Test temp of 70c. I changed nothing since then. It must just be ambient wrecking havoc on me again. Once I get air condition on, maybe I'll see something different.

Is Folding very capable of causing high CPU temperatures? I have never used it, so depending on that it may be different.

I'm sure it isn't as stressful as benchmarking, but it has been running nonstop at this level for a few days now.

Oh. You're using an AMD CPU though.

It is probably partially related to ambients. However, I am not sure. 

I just used Asus' "Fan Calibration" tool in the Uefi. It slowed my idle rpms to very, very low. I do not know why. Is this trustworthy?

I am most concerned about BF4. I get temperatures in the 70s easily, which is strange compared to most games. Even a maxed out GTAV stays in the late 50s.