Install Steam Games In Two Locations?

BMARX123

Hi forum,

This may be a dumb question that has been answered before, but I haven't been able to find a concrete answer yet myself. I will be getting a laptop with a smallish SSD, and was wondering if it is possible to have some Steam games installed directly on the drive, and others installed on a portable USB 3.0 drive? Would doing this cause any issues, and would I need to reboot the system each time I wanted to play a game off the portable drive?

Thanks in advance!

CPU: AMD FX 8350 GPU: Reference GTX 980ti Motherboard: Gigabyte 990fxa-Ud3 (rev. 4.0) RAM: 16GB 1600 Speed Memory Power Supply: Corsair CX600m 600 watt PSU Case: NZXT H440

Steam allows you to create multiple libraries.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I have like 3 of my games on my SSD and the rest on my hard drive. It works.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

This may be a dumb question that has been answered before, but I haven't been able to find a concrete answer yet myself. I will be getting a laptop with a smallish SSD, and was wondering if it is possible to have some Steam games installed directly on the drive, and others installed on a portable USB 3.0 drive? Would doing this cause any issues, and would I need to reboot the system each time I wanted to play a game off the portable drive?

Nope it's fine. Worst that could happen is that you'd need to close and reopen Steam if the drive was dis/connected

"Rawr XD"

It can work but i'd advise against it, running games from a usb3.0 drive arent going to run well

Instructions:

Open Steam

in the top left, click Steam > Settings

in the new window, click "downloads" on the left side

Click "Steam Library Folders" 

in the new window click "Add Library Folder"

Navigate to your USB Drive and add the folder you want the games to be install to. 

Then once you have done that and you go to download a game, steam will ask you where you want to install it.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015