How to make a bootable USB device?

Random32

So I have my Windows 7 64Bit ISO here... and a flash drive that's 16GB. I made one long ago on an 8GB drive that worked, but I gave it to a friend. I have since tried to make one. One on a 16GB USB3.0 device that ended up not working, and one on a 16GB USB2.0 device that was able to receive the ISO but was not able to be made bootable. The softwares that I used all three times were either Rufus' tool or Microsoft Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool. I need this Windows installation fast and I don't know why it's working on either of these devices. By the way, the error message on the Microsoft tool for the USB2.0 device is that 'bootsect.exe' encountered an error. I can't use the 16GB USB3.0 anymore because I used it instead to backup some pictures and whatnot. Please help me ASAP! Right now I'm running off of my old SSD that I put back in (it had Windows) because I couldn't get it on to my new drive. 

CPU: i7 2600k @4.2GHz GPU: GTX 660 Power Supply: EVGA SupernovaNEX 750W 80+ Bronze RAM: 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws X

Use Rufus program

https://rufus.akeo.ie

I.... I said I used it already...

CPU: i7 2600k @4.2GHz GPU: GTX 660 Power Supply: EVGA SupernovaNEX 750W 80+ Bronze RAM: 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws X

I.... I said I used it already...

I responded to title then proceeded to read the post

edited previous post

Use Rufus program

https://rufus.akeo.ie

EDIT:

I dont know why Rufus did not worked for you? Did you choosed right format (NTFS) though it should be automatic?

http://prntscr.com/7ovj7f

1.Open the Command Prompt. This can be done by triggering the Run -- Windows Key + R -- feature, and opening "cmd".
2.Type "diskpart" to open the disk partitioning software. Accept the UAC security prompt, if asked.
3.Insert the USB drive.
4.Type "list disk". The program will then show you a list of all the physical drives (HDD, SSD, USB, etc.) that are attached.
5.Identify the disk number of the USB drive (it can be recognized by looking at the size column; it's usually the last listed disk) and type "select disk X", where "X" is the disk number of your USB drive.
6.Type "clean". This will erase the contents of the USB drive, so make sure you have the contents backed-up beforehand.
7.Type "create partition primary". This command will create a primary partition on the USB drive.
8.Type "select partition 1". This command will select the created partition.
9.Type "active". This command will make the selected partition active.
10.Type "format fs=ntfs quick". This command will format the created partition as NTFS.
11.Type "assign". This command will assign a letter to the USB drive, which will make it show under Windows Explorer.
12.Copy the contents of the Windows 8.1 DVD or ISO from the created folder on the USB drive.

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1.Open the Command Prompt. This can be done by triggering the Run -- Windows Key + R -- feature, and opening "cmd".

2.Type "diskpart" to open the disk partitioning software. Accept the UAC security prompt, if asked.

3.Insert the USB drive.

4.Type "list disk". The program will then show you a list of all the physical drives (HDD, SSD, USB, etc.) that are attached.

5.Identify the disk number of the USB drive (it can be recognized by looking at the size column; it's usually the last listed disk) and type "select disk X", where "X" is the disk number of your USB drive.

6.Type "clean". This will erase the contents of the USB drive, so make sure you have the contents backed-up beforehand.

7.Type "create partition primary". This command will create a primary partition on the USB drive.

8.Type "select partition 1". This command will select the created partition.

9.Type "active". This command will make the selected partition active.

10.Type "format fs=ntfs quick". This command will format the created partition as NTFS.

11.Type "assign". This command will assign a letter to the USB drive, which will make it show under Windows Explorer.

12.Copy the contents of the Windows 8.1 DVD or ISO from the created folder on the USB drive.

Wait... Before I do this

Can I get a second opinion on deciding if it's worth it to go through copying the OS onto the other drive? or should I clean install. I just want to make sure.

Wait... Before I do this

Can I get a second opinion on deciding if it's worth it to go through copying the OS onto the other drive? or should I clean install. I just want to make sure.

if you clone the disk you get to carry all the cancer registry keys with you...

Personally I prefer to do clean install if possible.

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

if you clone the disk you get to carry all the cancer registry keys with you...

Personally I prefer to do clean install if possible.

xD Alright... Is the CMD method surefire? The reason why I'm so confused is because these two softwares have worked before but only on 1 device. These other 2 flash drives seem to not be bootable no matter what software I throw at it...

xD Alright... Is the CMD method surefire? The reason why I'm so confused is because these two softwares have worked before but only on 1 device. These other 2 flash drives seem to not be bootable no matter what software I throw at it...

it'll be fine, the method is fireproof

it'll be fine, the method is fireproof

Do I copy the ISO in or the things inside the ISO?

the rufus tool will work

but you have to choose the correct boot method for the type of bios

I found this out recently

when it wouldn't make a proper bootable usb drive unless the correct options where set

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

the rufus tool will work

but you have to choose the correct boot method for the type of bios

I found this out recently

when it wouldn't make a proper bootable usb drive unless the correct options where set

Oh? Can you walk me through it?

Oh? Can you walk me through it?

I can

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Once you do the cmd method, you can just copy the contents of the .iso to the stick.  It is a surefire method, I use it all the time.

Some sticks may not work at all.  I never had a problem with Sandisk, PNY, TDK, Verbatim or LaCie sticks, but my Emtec ones cause the PC to crash even before the boot selection.  It just locks up the second it tries to read the stick.

Do I copy the ISO in or the things inside the ISO?

things inside the ISO

Once you do the cmd method, you can just copy the contents of the .iso to the stick.  It is a surefire method, I use it all the time.

Some sticks may not work at all.  I never had a problem with Sandisk, PNY, TDK, Verbatim or LaCie sticks, but my Emtec ones cause the PC to crash even before the boot selection.  It just locks up the second it tries to read the stick.

Don't I need to do something with bootsect or some shit? Or can I just do the NTFS format for the drive and then drop the contents in

I never do anything with the bootsect, I just drop the files in.  I don't use NTFS though, FAT32 works just fine in most cases.