~$2000 Gaming Build

Hey there guys,

I wanted to get some friendly advice on my first real gaming build... I have tried to keep it at around $2000 (Converted from local currency, ZAR). 

- Intel Core i7-5820K (3.6Ghz, 15M Cache, 12x Cores) CPU
- MSI X99A SLI PLUS LGA 2011-V3 USB3.1 DDR4 Motherboard
- 16GB 2400MHz Quad Channel High Performance RAM (Dominator Platinum)
- MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB 256bit Overclocked Card
- Antec High Current Pro 850W 80+ PLATINUM Fully Modular PSU
- Corsair Series H80i High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
- NZXT Noctis 450 Black 

That's my basic build... I plan on getting a second GTX 970 (And some more RAM) by the end of the year in order to save costs for now, is this recommended? Also would you guys recommend a different build at a rough $2000 budget.

Really appreciate the advice.

Peace Out  B)

are you going to be doing more than just gaming?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($378.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i GT 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($79.99 @ NCIX US) 

Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($197.89 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($679.99 @ Micro Center) 

Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($134.99 @ Micro Center) 

Total: $1724.83

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-04 07:36 EDT-0400

This should be decent, note that there is some money leeway for an OS and storage, not sure if things are more expensive in your location though

Desktop: i7-4790k, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, 2xR9 290 Vapor-X's (1 working atm), Asus Z97-Pro, NZXT H440 White, 16GB G. Skill Sniper RAM, NZXT HALE V90 850W.

Laptop: Samsung Chromebook 11.6" 

Phone: 8GB Galaxy S4

@spikehackerinc

Hi

Is this just for gaming ? Or do you plan on doing anything else like rendering/editing, streaming etc ?

Also what monitor are you going to be using ?

Also follow your topic to get notification of any replies, then people don't have to quote you.

Swap the 5820k for a 4790K, and the x99 board for a z97 board. You will not notice a performance decrease in gaming, and only a very mild one in professional uses.  then use the money saved to get either a 980 or a 980ti, or a Fury X depending on how much you have left from the change to 4790K and z97.  For gaming, even an i7 is considered way overkill, an x99 being just stupid overkill.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

It doesn't make a difference in SLI.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Thank you very much for all your replies and advice...

@Shifty, lee32uk: Yes, I will be using the PC for more than just gaming and intend on using it as my home development machine too. My current monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster B2430 but intend on upgrading to a 4k monitor in the near future. And thank you I have subscribed to my topic (I thought it auto subscribed me).

@Hyttech, FrisoVDVeen: Thank you for the link to PC Part Picker, handy awesome site. I had not included the storage in my original post but have included in my overall budget as my suppliers quote with 3TB WD Green and 500GB SSD is roughly $2000 along with the spec I provided. But yes unfrotunalty my location sells their parts alot more than globally.

@Atmos: I considered the 4790k as my supplier has alot of builds revolving around that CPU. The reason I picked the 5820k and x99 was because I thought to myself that I am already spending over $1500 for the PC, that I may aswell add in the extra ~$180 for the 5820k and x99 because its a slightly better for a small amount extra (In relation). I also considered the Fury X, but couldn't find much information around the internet on the SLI/Crossfire scaling as I know the Geforce 9 series almost scale to double. Also looking at some real life benchmarks the GTX 970's in SLI are only roughly ~10-20 frames behind the SLI 980's for roughly half the price. And I have been told it is abit of an overkill, but I do intend on using the PC as a dev machine aswell and could use the extra processing power and again looked at the original price of a PC and thought since I'm spending so much already I may aswell over kill it (To an extend, while keeping at reasonable budget).

@FrisoVDVeen, ADZ_123_!"£, mikat: Thank you for that, I didn't know that. But the 5830K increases price drastically and will most likely never get 4-way SLI.

Thanks again for all your replies and advice!

Peace Out  B)

@Shifty, lee32uk: Yes, I will be using the PC for more than just gaming and intend on using it as my home development machine too. My current monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster B2430 but intend on upgrading to a 4k monitor in the near future. And thank you I have subscribed to my topic (I thought it auto subscribed me).

@Hyttech, FrisoVDVeen: Thank you for the link to PC Part Picker, handy awesome site. I had not included the storage in my original post but have included in my overall budget as my suppliers quote with 3TB WD Green and 500GB SSD is roughly $2000 along with the spec I provided. But yes unfrotunalty my location sells their parts alot more than globally.

@Atmos: I considered the 4790k as my supplier has alot of builds revolving around that CPU. The reason I picked the 5820k and x99 was because I thought to myself that I am already spending over $1500 for the PC, that I may aswell add in the extra ~$180 for the 5820k and x99 because its a slightly better for a small amount extra (In relation). I also considered the Fury X, but couldn't find much information around the internet on the SLI/Crossfire scaling as I know the Geforce 9 series almost scale to double. Also looking at some real life benchmarks the GTX 970's in SLI are only roughly ~10-20 frames behind the SLI 980's for roughly half the price. And I have been told it is abit of an overkill, but I do intend on using the PC as a dev machine aswell and could use the extra processing power and again looked at the original price of a PC and thought since I'm spending so much already I may aswell over kill it (To an extend, while keeping at reasonable budget).

@FrisoVDVeen, ADZ_123_!"£, mikat: Thank you for that, I didn't know that. But the 5830K increases price drastically and will most likely never get 4-way SLI.

Peace Out  B)

the 5830k will improve 2 way preformance as well

the 5830k will improve 2 way preformance as well

For 2 way sli the 5930K isn't worth the extra money for the very small increase in performance.

Hey there guys,

I wanted to get some friendly advice on my first real gaming build... I have tried to keep it at around $2000 (Converted from local currency, ZAR). 

- Intel Core i7-5820K (3.6Ghz, 15M Cache, 12x Cores) CPU
- MSI X99A SLI PLUS LGA 2011-V3 USB3.1 DDR4 Motherboard
- 16GB 2400MHz Quad Channel High Performance RAM (Dominator Platinum)
- MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB 256bit Overclocked Card
- Antec High Current Pro 850W 80+ PLATINUM Fully Modular PSU
- Corsair Series H80i High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
- NZXT Noctis 450 Black 

That's my basic build... I plan on getting a second GTX 970 (And some more RAM) by the end of the year in order to save costs for now, is this recommended? Also would you guys recommend a different build at a rough $2000 budget.

Really appreciate the advice.

Peace Out  B)

I would suggest going with some cheaper ram. Corsair Dominator is nice and all that, but you are paying a lot more just for the bling. I would look at some G.Skill or Kingston HyperX.

The same with the power supply. The Antec High current pro platinum is an exceptional unit, but you can get better value with something like the EVGA G2/GS or XFX XTR etc. 

I would suggest a 240mm/280mm water cooler over a single 120mm one. The other option is to go with a high end air cooler from the likes of Noctua, BeQuiet or Phanteks. The Noctis should fit virtually all coolers as it has 180mm clearance. Just make sure you get low profile ram if you go down this road as some tall modules won't fit under certain coolers.

You will definitely need a 2nd 970 for good framerates when you go to 4K.

Peace Out  B)

Crossfire scaling, and sli scaling are almost entirely dependent on a games optimization for it. Some games do it great, some don't support it what-so-ever. It's always, always, always better to go for the single more powerful card than the two less powerful card. 

And just as a bit of a foot note, in a gaming build, usually the majority of the fund goes towards the gpu, as it is the part that most heavily influences gameplay. In a 2,000 build, it makes about as much sense to get a 970, as it would to get an i3. You really will see a night and day difference between the 980ti and a 970, you however will not see any difference at all whatsoever between a 4790K and a 5820K, infact in many cases you will see an improvement in fps while in games. Unless you're running chrome, streaming, and rendering a video clip at the same time; in which case the 5820K can handle that load slightly better. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Crossfire scaling, and sli scaling are almost entirely dependent on a games optimization for it. Some games do it great, some don't support it what-so-ever. It's always, always, always better to go for the single more powerful card than the two less powerful card. 

And just as a bit of a foot note, in a gaming build, usually the majority of the fund goes towards the gpu, as it is the part that most heavily influences gameplay. In a 2,000 build, it makes about as much sense to get a 970, as it would to get an i3. You really will see a night and day difference between the 980ti and a 970, you however will not see any difference at all whatsoever between a 4790K and a 5820K, infact in many cases you will see an improvement in fps while in games. Unless you're running chrome, streaming, and rendering a video clip at the same time; in which case the 5820K can handle that load slightly better. 

I am guessing that the op can't fit a 980ti into his budget. The currency He is using is ZAR which is the South African Rand. Things will be a lot more expensive there.

I am guessing that the op can't fit a 980ti into his budget. The currency He is using is ZAR which is the South African Rand. Things will be a lot more expensive there.

Hes going for x99 and 5820K, and that's not 2,000 ZAR, he converted his local currency to usd, he has a rough budget of 2,000 usd. More than enough to fit in a 980ti. Hell, you could even get a titan X in that budget.

Hes going for x99 and 5820K, and that's not 2,000 ZAR, he converted his local currency to usd, he has a rough budget of 2,000 usd. More than enough to fit in a 980ti. Hell, you could even get a titan X in that budget.

His budget is $2000 which converts to 24,627 Rand.

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=2000&From=USD&To=ZAR

A Titan X costs 17,395 Rand

http://www.comx-computers.co.za/SC-GTX-Gigabyte-Geforce-GTX-TitanX-12Gb-DDR5-384bit-Buy-p-118916.php

A GTX 980 ti costs 10,525 Rand

http://www.comx-computers.co.za/SC-A980MP-ASUS-ROG-Matrix-Geforce-GTX980Ti-4Gb-4096mb-Buy-p-113835.php

Are either of those more than 24,000? No? Then my point hasn't changed. 

In a gaming build, you do typically spend roughly 50-60% of the budget on a gpu. So a 980ti, or a 980/290x 8gb would be perfect. 

Thanks again for all the useful advice.

@lee32ukm, FrisoVDVeen: Thank you, yes the 5930K is almost $200 more and definitly won't fit into the budget.

@lee32uk: Thank you for this lee! I am adjusting the build now, I looked into the Dominator and it's almost $200 more. The only reason I considered the dominator was for astetic purposes because of the awesome lights. But re-evaluation of the situation based on your the advice, I could possibly put the money into something else. I am thinking of putting in Corsair vengance as it is roughly the same price as the kingston, would you recommend this? 

@lee32uk: As for the power supply, the supplier that has the majority of the components (That is much much cheaper than other suppliers) don't have many choices. And the Antec High Current Pro 850W is only $15 more than the bottom of the range 750W (Antec TP-750C 750W Power Supply).

And yes the 980ti is exactly double the price of the GTX 970. It isn't in the buget currently, but my intention was to get the 2nd 970 down the line (In order to save a bit of cash now), but if by your recommendation you suggest the 980ti over the sli 970s. I am willing to put the cash forward now in order to save for the future... Do you recommend that the single 980ti beats the 2 970s in sli and is worth the cost (Being them both exactly the same price, 2x 970 vs 1x 980ti)?

@Atmos, lee32uk: Yes there's absoultly no way I could even consider the titan X, im way better off getting the 980ti's in SLI for the price. And thanks for the comx supplier link, i actually forgot about them as there 980ti is R2000 cheaper than my current suppler and should look into them for a quote aswell.

@Atmos: You are right the single card isn't more than R24000, but considering the rest of the build, i am looking at around R15000-R18000 just for the base PC build exluding the GPU. As mention above though if my build comes out to alot more due to the single GPU (if recommended) then im willing and will skimp on some of the other components. The RAM alone will save me quite abit.

Thank you again for everyones advice... It has really saved me! And look forward to the rest of your advice. So in everyones oppinion it would be better for me to get the single GTX 980ti over the SLI 970s?

Peace Out  B)

Single 980ti, by far and wide. In games with amazing sli scaling then the 970 sli would be better, yes. But the majority of games just don't have that great of sli or xfire scaling. That and you won't have to deal with the 3.5gb vram buffer issues, meaning greater longevity, and not having to deal with the inherent issues you get in sli and xfire.

Single 980ti, by far and wide. In games with amazing sli scaling then the 970 sli would be better, yes. But the majority of games just don't have that great of sli or xfire scaling. That and you won't have to deal with the 3.5gb vram buffer issues, meaning greater longevity, and not having to deal with the inherent issues you get in sli and xfire.

2000$ gets you easily TWO 980ti's

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Micro Center)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($48.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($97.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($679.95 @ Amazon)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($679.95 @ Amazon)

Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($67.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $1989.84

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-05 07:58 EDT-0400

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Are either of those more than 24,000? No? Then my point hasn't changed. 

In a gaming build, you do typically spend roughly 50-60% of the budget on a gpu. So a 980ti, or a 980/290x 8gb would be perfect. 

Go on that website that I linked and put a Titan X and i7 5820K into your basket, and see how much you have left from 24,627 Rand.

Also if you read through the posts, you would have seen that it is not just a gaming pc.

2000$ gets you easily TWO 980ti's

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Micro Center)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($48.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($97.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($67.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $1989.84

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-05 07:58 EDT-0400

The op isn't in the USA. Read the opening post.

The op isn't in the USA. Read the opening post.

So what? I'm from Europe where 2000$ build is 2500 euro.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

So what? I'm from Europe where 2000$ build is 2500 euro.

The op is in South Africa. 

Also $2000 converts to 2250 Euros so that proves my point. 

The op is in South Africa. 

Also $2000 converts to 2250 Euros so that proves my point. 

*facepalm*

Do you think prices are the same?

A Msi 980Ti costs 679$ in the US, that converts to 610 euro here it's 749-799

The point is you can do a build with 1700-1800 USD with TWO 980ti's.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU