TLS - Thin Laptop System - Nvidia Grid K2 and dl380z

So, I've been working on a project for the last few months and i Hoped i could get a feedback here!

I've started this idea after i spent more than 3000 bucks on my new work-station which, after the introduction of the 5th generation of intel's processors it immediatly became outdated.

But this is tech world right?

Now, imagine spending 300 bucks instead of 3000 for a computer withouth making compromises, imagine just spending those money for a Raspberry Pi-like computer and being able to drive adobe premiere pro, playing the latest games with the highest settings. It's impossible you would say.

This is where TLS '' Thin laptop System'' comes in.

You are paying just for a thin client like laptop, with no fancy graphics card or ultra fancy ssd.  All the hardwork is being done on a remote server, which hadware is constantly monitored and updated. You can render high-ASS 4k videos in a bar, on your laptop, with the same files you have at home. It could be even more effective if seen as an ecosystem.

But let's stop the advertising for this moment.

I want to know what you think, don't come and say ''it is impossible bla bla bla'' i just want to understand right now which could be the target for this kind of stuff. And of course i want to understand your opinion about this!

I've just started the setup, I will keep you updated.

UPDATE 1!

I currently have two dl380 g8 with the following configuration:

-Dual Intel Xeon E5-2690 8 core

-64 GB of DDR3 RAM

-Nvidia 1 GRID K2 (to get)

-2x 750 Redundant Power Supply

-2x 10gbps Fiber Card

For the storage i am using:

-MSA2000 + 2x P2000 g3 SAN controller

-2x Sata Array

-24x 1TB WD Black

-SSD for boot.

IMG_4863.jpg

UPDATE 2 - GRID K2 ARRIVED!

The new card just arrived, it was a pretty easy installation i must say, plug the card, tweak bios, install vbi, and you are pretty much done!

The streaming quality improved a LOTTTT

Finally i was able to stream games at 1080p at 60 fps without any problem! I've run Uniengine Heaven benchmark and the results aren't that bad!

ULTRA SETTING - MSAA x2 1080p  -  I've configured the vm to the the highest preset: the 280q with a full access to the processor and 4GB of vram. The stream was pretty smooth and it was using just 10mbps of bandwidth! The compression of the stream through the card is really impressive. I guess that 3000 bucks are worth something.

Screenshot:

Screenshot_2_copy.png

post-126016-0-36014000-1436008253_thumb.

This will be a thing in a few years but for right now the TDP is too high to be able to make something that small. But lucky the manufacturing process keeps shrinking for both CPU and GPU. 

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

If you render 4K files network bandwidth is an issue.

If you play games ping is an issue.

Cloud computing is not a thing yet and it wont be for a while.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

If this is local, it's very feasible... else bandwidth and latency issues will occur...

I like the idea though...

I'm right now configuring vmware, i know bandwitch is a problem but yesterday i managed to stream 4k videos on 4g network which is nice. I think that a 1440p virtual machine could work

Ps.. someone at nvidia told me that they will present grid K3 or so in september/october

This will be a thing in a few years but for right now the TDP is too high to be able to make something that small. But lucky the manufacturing process keeps shrinking for both CPU and GPU. 

Actually, the hardware exists right now. I hope i could make a prototype in a month... first i have to ask my contact at nvidia for a test k2.

Damn those cards are so expensive (~3000 usd)

I'm right now configuring vmware, i know bandwitch is a problem but yesterday i managed to stream 4k videos on 4g network which is nice. I think that a 1440p virtual machine could work

Ps.. someone at nvidia told me that they will present grid K3 or so in september/october

4K video is compressed. You can stream that on 30 mbit network. If you want to stream even 1440p at decent quality 30mbit will not be enough it will be blocky and blurry. 1440p monitor is like 5gb/s or more I think. Sure you can probably compress it and get 150-200 mbit 1440p 60fps stream look decent.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

If you manage to get it working, this would be amazing.

doubt it, nvidia can't make 720p game stream work well, one person can make 1440p stream work heh.

Spoiler

doubt it, nvidia can't make 720p game stream work well, one person can make 1440p stream work heh.

Good news! Windows rdp can stream 30 FPS 1080p on 10mbps network! Btw currently installing UPS. When i am done i will work on VmWare horizon and see how much bandwitch will it take!

60 FPS are my goal right now, i will try different streaming software. Like HP RGS that can handle 4k remote desktop.

Good news! Windows rdp can stream 30 FPS 1080p on 10mbps network! Btw currently installing UPS. When i am done i will work on VmWare horizon and see how much bandwitch will it take!

60 FPS are my goal right now, i will try different streaming software. Like HP RGS that can handle 4k remote desktop.

10mbit 1080p on desktop maybe, in games that will not look great.

Spoiler

If i am not mistaken the Nvidia Grid cards all have dedicated h.264 encoders built in since they are designed for this sort of thing.

If i am not mistaken the Nvidia Grid cards all have dedicated h.264 encoders built in since they are designed for this sort of thing.

I'm really impatient to test them out!

UPDATE 1

Btw i've just made the list for the "TLS" prototype:

-Motorola Lapdock

-Raspberry Pi 2

-Cable adapters

-Wi-Fi 5ghz adapters

It will cost something like 150 usd. Hope I will receive some help for the modded chassis. In horizon i've just created a windows 10 pool, I'm having some problems with the view composer server though. Yesterday evening I have recabled everything, it has been one hell of a work.

bbe2b8a9854500fdc29a4b35b230db0c.jpg

4K video is compressed. You can stream that on 30 mbit network. If you want to stream even 1440p at decent quality 30mbit will not be enough it will be blocky and blurry. 1440p monitor is like 5gb/s or more I think. Sure you can probably compress it and get 150-200 mbit 1440p 60fps stream look decent.

Blu-ray is compressed 1080p @ ~34 Mbps and is only 4:2:0 Chroma, to do 4:4:4 1440p 60 FPS you'd need a link capable of Gbps. Dual link DVI which can handle a maximum resolution of 2560x1600 @ 60Hz which does a bit rate of 7.92 Gbps. So even compressed you'd need a stream of at least a 1 Gbps to look decent.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Blu-ray is compressed 1080p @ ~34 Mbps and is only 4:2:0 Chroma, to do 4:4:4 1440p 60 FPS you'd need a link capable of Gbps. Dual link DVI which can handle a maximum resolution of 2560x1600 @ 60Hz which does a bit rate of 7.92 Gbps. So even compressed you'd need a stream of at least a 1 Gbps to look decent.

yeah i know it's almost impossible at the time. 

Spoiler

Steam in home streaming does not use that much bandwidth. Perhaps you should look into how they managed that. I got it working over a vpn connection to an AWS gpu instance.

Oh yes. Did you know that you can get servers at AWS with Nvidia Grid gpus?

Steam in home streaming does not use that much bandwidth. Perhaps you should look into how they managed that. I got it working over a vpn connection to an AWS gpu instance.

OK, it's time to do a proper test. I will post results as soon as possible.

I am really confident in this project, and I believe it is possible on 4g network.

steam in home streaming is on wlan/lan...  :blink: if you got it working over network it uses less bandwidth and quality shouldn't be even close...

found this guy, he set it up over the network too, 28mbit bandwidth and it looks like a jpeg that was compressed 55 times. 

http://i.imgur.com/b6OkOfh.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/26w0b8/tutorial_how_to_steam_in_home_stream_over_the/

and you want to stream 1440p 60 fps...

Spoiler

steam in home streaming is on wlan/lan...  :blink: if you got it working over network it uses less bandwidth and quality shouldn't be even close...

found this guy, he set it up over the network too, 28mbit bandwidth and it looks like a jpeg that was compressed 55 times. 

http://i.imgur.com/b6OkOfh.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/26w0b8/tutorial_how_to_steam_in_home_stream_over_the/

and you want to stream 1440p 60 fps...

Remember that he isn't using GRID vgpus with an incard compression.

Vmware Horizon should help too, i've found out that the best program i could use for stream is definetely vmware horizon PCoIP. Still configuring the software though, i will post results as soon as possible.

Remember that he isn't using GRID vgpus with an incard compression.

Vmware Horizon should help too, i've found out that the best program i could use for stream is definetely vmware horizon PCoIP. Still configuring the software though, i will post results as soon as possible.

still. compressing 8gbps to 4g network speeds is just impossible.

Spoiler

It may be hard but not impossible. I have faith that he will be able to at least partially pull this off.

YESSSS 1080p 60fps video! THIS COULD WORK!!! I haven't even used the VmWare Horizon Client!

Highest peak 21mbps!!

Untitled_1.jpg

e5jipj.jpg

I'm guessing you accelerated RDP graphics with RemoteFX?

Yep! Now trying to get results with horizon!

While you are doing this, perhaps you should try and push this through a web browser. The possibilities...