What about the free upgrade?

Massa9

Being one of the few people still using WIndows 8 (not 8.1) i can't help but feel i should have waited another month or so and picked up a copy of Win 8.1.  Hearing that Windows 10 is a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8.1 users only , kind of gets me. I know i can use the Windows App Store to Update to 8.1, which should have been a service pack imo, but i am not a fan of not having the same Product key and no official way to get the physical Windows 8.1 media disk . Also After letting Windows do this app store update , made a mess of things.  I have read a few articles on "how to get the Windows 8.1 media disk after applying the Free 8 to 8.1 update " or some title resembling that.  Now, in 2015 surely there must be something i can do, let me know your thoughts on obtaining 8.1 ISO,Physical Media, Product Key while using Windows 8 pro . Also if there is an effective method let me know please

Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade for any Windows 8 users, I bought a copy of Windows 8 Pro back when it was like £30 and its now running Windows 8.1 soon to be Windows 10.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Yeah, ok. I get it , mostly. The only part i am fuzzy on is re-installation. I am due for a fresh install soon, and i have already had a bit of activation flippery last summer. Reading only Microsoft words from their site or Windows Wizard or whatever it's called, it is very unclear . So maybe it is : Install Windows 8 from media disk  and activate  , update to 8.1, then activate again. Then I guess get a Windows 10 update and activate that.  

And I did get a new number for the 8.1 update, can't remember if it was the license number or product activation key. I had only used 8.1 for a week .