About Windows 10 migration

Do you guys think it will be worth upgrading to Windows 10?
Specifically, it will be worth migrating from Windows 7 to windows 10?

Is there something that makes windows 10 attractive and can justify migration?

no it's trash, use the 6 year old os till the end times.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Go Windows 10 if you absolutely need DX12...

Windows 7 is the new Windows XP...

Go Windows 10 if you absolutely need DX12...

Windows 7 is the new Windows XP...

yeah, xp was just as annoying.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Windows 10 has a lot of features stripped out of it, so I honestly can't recommend that you upgrade to it for quite a while after the release-if at all. (The laptop I was using has the tech preview as an upgrade from Windows 7 Pro-I'm not impressed with all of the steps back, aka removed features).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Windows 10 has a lot of features stripped out of it, so I honestly can't recommend that you upgrade to it for quite a while after the release-if at all. (The laptop I was using has the tech preview as an upgrade from Windows 7 Pro-I'm not impressed with all of the steps back, aka removed features).

It takes a bit of getting used to... I admit... but it does look nice...

I'll be testing how it affects battery life on my D732Z...

So far there's a memory access error upon shutdown on my installation... and it's a software error...

How the hell is Windows 7 annoying? And XP still kicks the shit out of Linux when you need a light weight fully featured OS (believe me, I compared it to Lubuntu 10.04LTS and Macpup 550 on my Celeron 300A rig with 128MB RAM).

PMSL

How the hell is Windows 7 annoying? And XP still kicks the shit out of Linux when you need a light weight fully featured OS (believe me, I compared it to Lubuntu 10.04LTS and Macpup 550 on my Celeron 300A rig with 128MB RAM).

windows 8.1 is better. it just is. works better, better interface once you stop using metro.

Spoiler

It takes a bit of getting used to... I admit... but it does look nice...

I'll be testing how it affects battery life on my D732Z...

So far there's a memory access error upon shutdown on my installation... and it's a software error...

I've been seeing that memory access error on shutdown as well-I'm glad that I'm not the only one with it. And battery life on my 2006 Tecra M5 was reduced by about 1 hour over Windows XP, and Windows 7 with the classic theme and performance settings enabled squeezed around the same amount of time out of the battery as Windows 10 (12 cell battery with 98% wear).

PMSL

windows 8.1 is better. it just is. works better, better interface once you stop using metro.

Straight up that's the problem-you need to modify or change the GUI from the original (or the ones available to Windows 8.1/10). And how does it work better exactly? Its not like dumbing an OS down while stripping out features is improving an OS or the users experience.

PMSL

Straight up that's the problem-you need to modify or change the GUI from the original (or the ones available to Windows 8.1/10). And how does it work better exactly? Its not like dumbing an OS down while stripping out features is improving an OS or the users experience.

it loads faster, uses less resources, gets more fps, works out of the box with two or more displays.

oh not using a feature is modifying something, didn't know that.

Spoiler

??? How?

XP was great... especially if you kept it updated...

it only got annoying after Win 7 went out...

Not sure what you're trying to say but Win 8.1 without metro handles a lot like Win7...

just saying...

it loads faster, uses less resources, gets more fps, works out of the box with two or more displays.

Oh... Haven't used 8.1 on a multimonitor yet...

Not sure what you're trying to say but Win 8.1 without metro handles a lot like Win7...

just saying...

yes exactly, it's like 7 just improved.

Spoiler

The sole and only reason why I would go to Windows 10 is DX12 and the productivity features built in.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

You obviously don't know how to set up Windows 7 then. Windows 7 also works out of the box with 2 or more displays, uses about the same amount of resources, and the FPS difference is always within margin of error. Your argument is baseless.

PMSL

You obviously don't know how to set up Windows 7 then. Windows 7 also works out of the box with 2 or more displays, uses about the same amount of resources, and the FPS difference is always within margin of error. Your argument is baseless.

windows 7 does not use the same amount of resources. I have tested that. Windows 7 on 1-2gb of ram is struggling while 8.1 is doing fine.

windows 7 does not work with two displays fully, you need displayfusion to enable taskbars or more wallpapers.

and you just said setting up 7, so setting up 7 is acceptable while setting up 8.1 is not acceptable, nice.

Spoiler

Well i Don't see why i should upgrade at all if there are no noticeable differences

Well i Don't see why i should upgrade at all if there are no noticeable differences

Personally I like windows 10s metro especially the control panel replacement...

If you don't need something that forces you to use 7 or 8.1...try it

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

windows 7 does not use the same amount of resources. I have tested that. Windows 7 on 1-2gb of ram is struggling while 8.1 is doing fine.

windows 7 does not work with two displays fully, you need displayfusion to enable taskbars or more wallpapers.

and you just said setting up 7, so setting up 7 is acceptable while setting up 8.1 is not acceptable, nice.

Lol, you really don't know how to do a fair test do you? My testing consisted of a fresh install of Windows 7 and 8.1 on my 320GB 5400RPM 2.5" HDD and my 240GB OCZ ARC 100 with 2GB of RAM (2x1GB-the minimum recommended for Windows Vista+) and I draw my conclusions from what I saw with both OS getting 1 week of use with the same programs and drivers. And granted Windows 8.1 does allow you to extend the taskbar and use different wallpapers, Windows 7 lacking just those 2 features doesn't mean that it can't work with 2 or more displays out of the box. 

And this is what I said:

PMSL

Let's keep this discussion a calm and fun one, shall we?

Your best off testing out for for yourself. Certain people are too tied to nostalgia or prior experiences(cough* windows 8.0 metro) or privacy concerns which concern only some people

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

I honestly have liked Windows 10 minus the issues shutting the system off on my laptop (is this the memory issue eveyrone is reffering to?) My battery life has actually INCREASED compared to the Win7 clean install. I'm just not used to the new task manager as I never got into Win8.1.

I honestly have liked Windows 10 minus the issues shutting the system off on my laptop (is this the memory issue eveyrone is reffering to?) My battery life has actually INCREASED compared to the Win7 clean install. I'm just not used to the new task manager as I never got into Win8.1.

That bug disappears with 10159 by the way

That bug disappears with 10159 by the way

That was released about four days ago, right? If so, it's no wonder I don't remember it being fixed! I haven't been on my Win10 system in five days.