Apple has filed a patent for person-to-person transactions

jos

First, the user opens their Wallet app, chooses which of the credit cards stored there they want to use to make the payment, and type in the amount they would like to pay. The payment can be authenticated using a fingerprint or the iPhone's passcode. The system would also let the person paying pick the recipient from nearby iPhone users. Then, an encrypted payment "packet" is sent to the person receiving the payment, including the payment amount, verification and a payment "credential," which could represent the sender's credit card details.

I guess TIM Cook have not heard of Paypal, Venmo etc...Apple doesn't always create the technology it patents, and could just be trying to stop a competitor using it.

Source: http://www.itproportal.com/2015/07/03/apple-patents-person-to-person-transactions/

When I read the title I thought apple where patenting how we already pay for goods and services.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

I guess TIM Cook has not heard of Paypal, Venmo etc...Apple never create the technology it patents, and are trying to stop a competitor using it.

Source: http://www.itproportal.com/2015/07/03/apple-patents-person-to-person-transactions/

Ftfy.

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

How can they patent this?

agreed
Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

How can they patent this? 

It is the transfer of money through Apple's wallet ecosystem to local users. 

That's why I assume. 

It is the transfer of money through Apple's wallet ecosystem to local users. 

That's why I assume. 

So they're not patenting the general idea of person to person transactions. Just their way of doing it. That would make sense but the way op is worded it is a bit misleading.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

wat.

So what exactly is apple trying to patent?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I hope the patent is more specific. The last thing we want is Apple suing everyone for direct transfers of currencies.

Might as well patent online banking too.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Knowing apple, they will out of the box begin suing Paypal, trying to drive them out of business. 

Good fucking game apple. I honestly hope that god forsaken company goes under in my lifetime just so i can yuk it up. Much the same with IGN and Facebook.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

That would make sense but the way op is worded it is a bit misleading.

The way OP worded it was to make Apple look evil, or OP just didn't read the very article he posted.

They're protecting their already existing technology and the technologies that they use with Apple Pay, they aren't patenting PayPal's or other's money transferring systems. Does OP really think PayPal wouldn't already have their own methods patented and protected? Please, Apple isn't the only company in the world to use the patent system, far from it.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

When I think of Apple, this is what I think of:

cqOLGtk.png

Feel free to use it in any Apple argument :P

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

I hope the patent is more specific. The last thing we want is Apple suing everyone for direct transfers of currencies.

It's fairly specific, the only real potential offenders would be if Android Pay adopted the feature or a third party app ported it over to Android.

Knowing apple, they will out of the box begin suing Paypal, trying to drive them out of business.

How and why would they sue PayPal? The patent fully describes the money transfer as being wirelessly between two cellular devices within proximity of each other, with details of the process not at all describing PayPal's. Apple would have no case, and waste their money if they were to sue PayPal.

People hate Apple cuz their phones aren't as nice as iPhones lol.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I'm sorry but that's not why I dislike Apple. I dislike them because they have a history of overcharging for their stuff which they exploit people in developing countries to produce for them and which does not cost them even a fraction of what they charge for it. Not to mention that they promote their own very tightly controlled ecosystems as being the best in the entire world since clearly everyone wants a locked ecosystem... Also they try to appear as though they are supposedly helping the world while they are simultaneously abusing human rights in developing countries to create their products at the lowest possible price. As such I consider them to be utterly despicable.

It's fairly specific, the only real potential offenders would be if Android Pay adopted the feature or a third party app ported it over to Android.

How and why would they sue PayPal? The patent fully describes the money transfer as being wirelessly between two cellular devices within proximity of each other, with details of the process not at all describing PayPal's. Apple would have no case, and waste their money if they were to sue PayPal.

I can open my paypal app, chooses which of the credit cards stored there I want to use to make the payment, and type in the amount I would like to pay. The payment can be authenticated using a passcode. The system would also let me pick the recipient if he is nearby or away. Then, an encrypted payment "packet" is sent to the person's app receiving the payment, including the payment amount, verification and a payment "credential,"  /is this a problem.

wait, so tomorrow if i exchange money out in the open with someone apple has the right to sue me or anyone else under patent infringement?

Details separate people.

For those interested, here is Apple's exact wording on what they are patenting:

Using electronic devices (such as cellular telephones) that communicate wirelessly, two individuals can make person-to-person payments. In particular, an individual using an electronic device may identify another proximate electronic device of a counterparty in a financial transaction, and may provide an encrypted payment packet to the other electronic device that includes: a financial credential for a financial account of the individual, a payment amount, and a payment sign.

When the other electronic device receives the encrypted payment applet, the counterparty may accept the payment in the financial transaction specified by the encrypted payment packet. Then, the other electronic device may provide the encrypted payment packet and other encrypted payment packet (with a financial credential for a financial account of the counterparty, the payment amount and the opposite payment sign) to a third party that completes the financial transaction.

Sounds very, very similar to a lot of already existing things. Knowing Apple, they might just try and go after a bunch of already existing things and sue them. Although they seems to have cut back on that since Jobs died so maybe they won't abuse the absurd powers the patent office has once again granted them.

Apple......just go ahead and patent the idea of money, then sue the entire planet for royalties. (the sad thing is, it's not that hard to believe they might have already thought of that)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm sorry but that's not why I dislike Apple. I dislike them because they have a history of overcharging for their stuff which they exploit people in developing countries to produce for them and which does not cost them even a fraction of what they charge for it. Not to mention that they promote their own very tightly controlled ecosystems as being the best in the entire world since clearly everyone wants a locked ecosystem... Also they try to appear as though they are supposedly helping the world while they are simultaneously abusing human rights in developing countries to create their products at the lowest possible price. As such I consider them to be utterly despicable.

you have just described half of all companies that exsist in the world to day and yet apple are the devil?  

i looks like apple applying there airdrop method to money transfers...sounds good and i look forward to seeing how it works

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

We hate them because they are the celluar version of Beats by Dre. Overcharged items, who are in general crap, just look at the One Plus One when it launched side by side with the iPhone, they had pretty much same specs, however One Plus One costed 1/3 of the iPhone, and it has been praised by even LTT and others to be a good phone.

Further more, Apple introduces brain damage to youngsters, making them think that its cool to own Apple products for the sake of fasion wear, when it should be technology related. My younger cousin just got a Macbook and she is just a fraction of those who want a Macbook because its fasion wear and status.

By the way, you can create a really good product and take money for it, but when you just do ''minor'' changes that nobody will actually use and just bump the price for the sake of ''fuck it, people are retarded they'll pay for it'', you're no good.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

wat.

So what exactly is apple trying to patent?

This.

Can someone explain this please? I'm having a bit of trouble understanding...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

This.

Can someone explain this please? I'm having a bit of trouble understanding...

This is what they seem to be patenting:

You open the Apple Pay app and get a list of nearby Apple Pay enabled devices (or maybe you use NFC). You select the one you want to pay to. The one you selected gets a message on their device telling them they are about to get a payment. They confirm and then both devices contacts Apple and they handle the money being transferred between the bank accounts.

The only thing I see as different from the many competitors (such as the Swish app developed by a bunch of Nordic banks in a collaboration) is the "proximity" part instead of for example a phone number (Swish) or an account name (Facebook, Gmail, PayPal etc).

But like always the wording is very vague and the "proximity" part is handled by "radio" and it uses "wireless signals", which might as well mean just any cellular data connection, and in that case even PayPal will be infringing on Apple's patent. The diagram itself doesn't even specify that the two devices has to be near each other.

Some of the things in the whole process are marked (optional) as well, so like always the patent will probably cover far more cases than Apple might implement it as.

to bad Apple Facebook was before you! You can pay a friend to friend with you're phone or on the web!

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular