Are these good temps?

djpabz23
Go to solution Solved by jbslayer,

I have the EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+

Everything is stock, haven't overclocked or anything.

While gaming, my max was 73 degrees Celsius but it averaged around 66-68 degrees and I played for a good 1 hour.

I was wondering if that sort of temperature is normal or is it too hot?

Huh. A little high on those temps. Do you live in a warm area? What are the average temps you see others getting? Do you still have your warranty?

Those temps are normal. 980ti's run pretty hot and I have a reference one myself which peaks at 78 degrees. I say you should only worry if you're near 90 degrees as that is when GPUs tend to throttle.

While gaming, my max was 73 degrees Celsius but it averaged around 66-68 degrees and I played for a good 1 hour.

73 is on the warmer side of normal for stock speed but still nothing to be concerned about. You'll start running into problems at 86C which is where the card will lower its boost clock. 

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

73 is on the warmer side of normal for stock speed but still nothing to be concerned about. You'll start running into problems at 86C which is where the card will lower its boost clock. 

I wasn't even running a demanding game. I was playing a game in which my laptop with a GeForce 650m could max out at 60 fps 1080p

It's also idling at 44 degrees.

What's your fan speed at?  Maybe try raising your fan speed a little bit

What's your fan speed at? Maybe try raising your fan speed a little bit

My temps went from 45 to 31 fans atm are at around 1350 rpm

Huh. A little high on those temps. Do you live in a warm area? What are the average temps you see others getting? Do you still have your warranty?

I'm going to punch your face- IN THE FACE.

Well atm it's 19 degrees Celsius or if you're American, like me, its 67 degrees Fahrenheit. My computer has been idling for a good 2 hours now, screen off, and my gpu temp is at 27 degrees Celsius atm. Also, I just built my system last week. All parts were ordered 1-2 weeks ago, brand new.

Even though it's fairly hot during the day, I have my AC set to cool down my room to about 21 degrees Celsius or 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

Those temps are normal. 980ti's run pretty hot and I have a reference one myself which peaks at 78 degrees. I say you should only worry if you're near 90 degrees as that is when GPUs tend to throttle.

That's great to hear! Also, shouldn't my GPU be a lot cooler than a reference 980Ti since my card has heat sinks and dual fans? Yet, we have very close peak temps.

That's great to hear! Also, shouldn't my GPU be a lot cooler than a reference 980Ti since my card has heat sinks and dual fans? Yet, we have very close peak temps.

Your GPU is factory overclocked with a higher voltage since it has an aftermarket cooler, so it would make sense it would still be around the same temps.

Your GPU is factory overclocked with a higher voltage since it has an aftermarket cooler, so it would make sense it would still be around the same temps.

Ah, I see. Thank you so much for clarifying things for me, I appreciate it!

I guess EVGA's cooling solution is only okay. I was looking at Zotac's cards that had similar clock rates as well as MSI's new 980 Ti overclocked close to that and it seemed cooler. Although Zotac's are triple fan designs. MSI however is not.

I guess EVGA's cooling solution is only okay. I was looking at Zotac's cards that had similar clock rates as well as MSI's new 980 Ti overclocked close to that and it seemed cooler. Although Zotac's are triple fan designs. MSI however is not.

yeah it would make sense MSI's card runs cooler, it has bigger fans and bigger heat pipes on it haha

yeah it would make sense MSI's card runs cooler, it has bigger fans and bigger heat pipes on it haha

Very true! I like EVGA but the cards run way too hot for my liking. I'd rather get a thick card that can keep cool as opposed to a thinner one that runs so hot I can fry eggs on it. Hahaha. I ordered the Amp Extreme. It's a behemoth but I'm going to see how I like it. :3

Very true! I like EVGA but the cards run way too hot for my liking. I'd rather get a thick card that can keep cool as opposed to a thinner one that runs so hot I can fry eggs on it. Hahaha. I ordered the Amp Extreme. It's a behemoth but I'm going to see how I like it. :3

yeah that card is huge! I hope you enjoy it :)

I just downloaded EVGA Precision X and it probably changed some settings around. I tested by playing Witcher 3 on Ultra 1080p. The card didn't go past 45 degrees. It averaged around 38-40 degrees.

yeah that card is huge! I hope you enjoy it :)

Their Arctic storm comes with a pole stand to hold it up because it's so heavy. Hahahah. I'm going to angle my cords so the card doesn't sag. xD

I just downloaded EVGA Precision X and it probably changed some settings around. I tested by playing Witcher 3 on Ultra 1080p. The card didn't go past 45 degrees. It averaged around 38-40 degrees.

I must ask, if you are gaming at 1080p why not just get a 970? The Ti is pretty overpowered unless you do super sampling. Hahaha. Is that what you plan to do? Sample 1440 down onto your monitor while gaming?

I must ask, if you are gaming at 1080p why not just get a 970? The Ti is pretty overpowered unless you do super sampling. Hahaha. Is that what you plan to do? Sample 1440 down onto your monitor while gaming?

Well, I currently have a 1080p monitor waiting for my new one to come in to play at 1440p

Well, I currently have a 1080p monitor waiting for my new one to come in to play at 1440p

Ooo what monitor?? I have an Acer XB270HU.

Ooo what monitor?? I have an Acer XB270HU.

That's the exact same one I'm getting xD

I just got reference EVGA 980 ti SC, and the reference cards get up to 83 to 84 so i think youll be fine

I just got reference EVGA 980 ti SC, and the reference cards get up to 83 to 84 so i think youll be fine

What's odd is that before installing Precision X, my temps reached around 70. I believe it changed my fan settings because now, my load temp is around 51 degrees.

My G1 only gets up to 66 when I'm benching with heaven at 99% usage. I'm guessing Gigabyte's cooling is a bit better, but you may just need a more aggressive fan curve.