Which is better: EVGA GTX 970 or Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming?

Hi there,

I'm currently thinking about upgrading my gaming PC at Christmas, so I want to upgrade my GPU first. Before I go on, here's my current build:

-XFX FX-777A-ZNF4 Radeon HD 7000 Series; AMD; Radeon HD 7770; 1000 MHz; CrossFire; 2048 x 1536 pixels; 2560 x 1600 pixels (FX-777A-ZNF4)

-Intel Core i3-3220 3300GHz 3MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Desktop CPU

-Corsair CMX8GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 8GB (1x4GB) DDR3 1333 Mhz CL9 Performance Desktop Memory Module

-MSI LGA1155 u-ATX Motherboard (Intel H61, 2x DDR3, GBE, LAN)

-500 WATT ATX POWER SUPPLY QUIET 20-24 PIN with SATA

-LiteOn IHAS124-04 24x SATA Half Height Internal DVDRW Drive

-Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive

-Fractal Design Core 1000 Series Micro ATX Case

I want to know which one between these two is the best GPU for gaming:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-GeForce-Superclocked-Cooling-Graphics/dp/B00NSXYEQW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435963309&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+gtx+970

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-NVIDIA-Gaming-Graphics-Express/dp/B00NQ862GY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435963333&sr=8-1&keywords=gtx+970+g1

Okay, so before you say it, yes I am going to upgrade my CPU soon as well so it doesn't bottleneck my new GPU, however, at the moment, I am simply focusing on a new GPU. I was told that these two GPUs were the best in the GTX 970 group. Also, I'm open to new suggestions, but my budget is under £300 and Newegg products aren't good, because there's a high VAT and P&P price at the end. So, since these two are the best of the GTX 970s under £300, which one is the best? I don't mind looks or fan noise, however, I only want the best performance and looks on my games. I play GTA 5, Battlefield 4 and Hardline, Cities Skylines, Minecraft (although that's not GPU intensive), Payday 2, Empire: Total War. I would like to get medium-high settings at least, and 60fps in my games.

Another thing I was told is that my power supply isn't sufficient for the GTX 970, and that it could break and take the rest of my build with it. To eliminate that possibility, I'm also looking to buy a decent (but not overly expensive), new PSU to uphold the standards of the rest of my PC. Do you have any recommendations for that too?

(PS. I'm also upgrading my RAM, but I don't know if I should get an 8gb stick, or another 4gb stick).

One last question I have (sorry!), is that I was told that these GPUs won't be compatible with my motherboard and won't fit in my case. Is this true, can you confirm?

Thank you for all the replies,

Cheers!

G1 Gaming.

But yes, you definitely will need a new power supply. What is your budget for one?

"Rawr XD"

G1 Gaming.

But yes, you definitely will need a new power supply. What is your budget for one?

Under £40 would be acceptable. But ideally, I wouldn't want to pay any more than £25-£30. Also, I was told that the superclocked EVGA GTX 970 would be better than the G1 Gaming. I'm only curious as to why your opinion differs. Thanks for the reply!

Cheers!

G1 Gaming, the FTW+ was a pretty good card when I was looking, however the FTW sounded like they cheaped out on a lot. G1 its quiet and overclocks pretty well. It looks ok if you are into that. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Under £40 would be acceptable. But ideally, I wouldn't want to pay any more than £25-£30. Also, I was told that the superclocked EVGA GTX 970 would be better than the G1 Gaming. I'm only curious as to why your opinion differs. Thanks for the reply!

Definitely this one. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antec-NEO-ECO-520C-Supply/dp/B00DTP0BNO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1435964471&sr=8-3&keywords=neo+eco

The EVGA 970 cooler isn't as good as the one on the 970, it's apparently not as well built, and most importantly the G1 Gaming has cherry picked chips (GPU Gauntlet) whereas the EVGA doesn't until you start getting into the higher-end models (which honestly aren't worth the money). Out of the box they'll perform similarly but you'll get better overclocks with the G1.

"Rawr XD"

G1 Gaming, the FTW+ was a pretty good card when I was looking, however the FTW sounded like they cheaped out on a lot. G1 its quiet and overclocks pretty well. It looks ok if you are into that. 

Okay, you also thing that the G1 Gaming is better. Why is that, I'm only curious, because a lot of people told me that the superclocked EVGA version was better.

Cheers!

500W is the minimum required power supply but is definitely sufficient although obv your current psu is no good as you need two 6 pins I believe. I would go with this as it's cheap and is a great power supply I have it in my build and have no complaints (once I sent back the faulty one they originally sent) http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-500W-PC-Power-Supply/dp/B00GP5Y6J0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435964665&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+power+supply

As far as ram goes it's difficult to tell what you have atm as it says 8GB, 1x4GB but the link is a single eight but just another one of whatever you have as you should really have matching ram personally I think 8 GB is more than sufficient but if you have a single 8 I would get another.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Definitely this one. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antec-NEO-ECO-520C-Supply/dp/B00DTP0BNO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1435964471&sr=8-3&keywords=neo+eco

The EVGA 970 cooler isn't as good as the one on the 970, it's apparently not as well built, and most importantly the G1 Gaming has cherry picked chips (GPU Gauntlet) whereas the EVGA doesn't until you start getting into the higher-end models (which honestly aren't worth the money). Out of the box they'll perform similarly but you'll get better overclocks with the G1.

Okay, and which G1 Gaming version would you recommend for gaming, since there are a few. Also, I don't recognize the power supply's make. I was told not to buy PSUs from unknown companies, but only from companies like ASUS, Corsair, etc. Also, would the G1 Gaming fit into my case and be compatible with my motherboard?

Cheers! 

500W is the minimum required power supply but is definitely sufficient although obv your current psu is no good as you need two 6 pins I believe. I would go with this as it's cheap and is a great power supply I have it in my build and have no complaints (once I sent back the faulty one they originally sent) http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-500W-PC-Power-Supply/dp/B00GP5Y6J0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435964665&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+power+supply

Okay, that's a great suggestion, I'll probably get that one then. But in the picture, I don't see the large pins which go into the motherboard. Are they split into several 6/8 pinned ones?

Cheers!

Okay, and which G1 Gaming version would you recommend for gaming, since there are a few. Also, I don't recognize the power supply's make. I was told not to buy PSUs from unknown companies, but only from companies like ASUS, Corsair, etc. Also, would the G1 Gaming fit into my case and be compatible with my motherboard?

ASUS doesn't make PSUs?

Antec is a very reputable PSU brand, this one specifically the Neo Eco is made by Seasonic so you know it's good quality.

There's only one Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1, and the one you linked is the right one. Yes it will fit in your case and work with your motherboard.

Okay, that's a great suggestion, I'll probably get that one then. But in the picture, I don't see the large pins which go into the motherboard. Are they split into several 6/8 pinned ones?

NO. The Antec I linked earlier is noticeably better quality then the EVGA 500W1. The EVGA 80+ has cheap CapXon and Teapo capacitors and poor ripple suppression while the Antec has much more reputable Japanese Nippon Chemi-Con caps (a few lower Taiwanese caps on the secondary but still better then the ones in the EVGA), much lower ripple, better protection circuits, and is overall better built.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1500086/why-you-should-not-buy-an-evga-430-500-500b-600b-psu

"Rawr XD"

Cheers!

I'm not sure if you're referring to the additional power lines for the graphics card or the 24 pin and the 4 pin. Regardless it has two 6/8 pins for the GPU and a 24 pin and 4 pin for the MOBO well technically it's 20/24 and 4 for backwards compatibility. And don't listen to the guy below it's a great PSU does the job it's 80+ bronze certified I Overclock with it and have had absolutely no problems delivers nice consistent power at a reasonable price.

I edited the first post to say a bit about your RAM as well but you replied during so most likely missed it.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

ASUS doesn't make PSUs?

Antec is a very reputable PSU brand, this one specifically the Neo Eco is made by Seasonic so you know it's good quality.

There's only one Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1, and the one you linked is the right one. Yes it will fit in your case and work with your motherboard.

NO. The Antec I linked earlier is noticeably better quality then the EVGA 500W1. The EVGA 80+ has cheap CapXon and Teapo capacitors and poor ripple suppression while the Antec has much more reputable Japanese Nippon Chemi-Con caps (a few lower Taiwanese caps on the secondary but still better then the ones in the EVGA), much lower ripple, better protection circuits, and is overall better built.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1500086/why-you-should-not-buy-an-evga-430-500-500b-600b-psu

Yeah, that does actually clear up a lot of things, thanks, I will go for the power supply you linked then Just one last thing. Just to confirm 100%,, once again, why should I go for the G1 Gaming and not the EVGA version? I was told that the difference would be 3-4fps in favor of the EVGA version. I really don't mind sound at all. But temperature wise, which would be better? And gaming wise? Because, like I said, I want medium-high settings at least, and also 60fps.

Cheers!

Okay, you also thing that the G1 Gaming is better. Why is that, I'm only curious, because a lot of people told me that the superclocked EVGA version was better.

Cheers!

I read reviews. Lots said that EVGA cheaped out on the FTW edition and forced them to make a FTW+, the FTW+ was out of stock so I got the G1 Gaming after watching a few videos. No regrets. G1 is quiet and cool. Had some coil whine, but I don't really hear it much anymore. Maybe it started to go away or I'm just used to it.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

I'm not sure if you're referring to the additional power lines for the graphics card or the 24 pin and the 4 pin. Regardless it has two 6/8 pins for the GPU and a 24 pin and 4 pin for the MOBO well technically it's 20/24 and 4 for backwards compatibility. And don't listen to the guy below it's a great PSU does the job it's 80+ bronze certified I Overclock with it and have had absolutely no problems delivers nice consistent power at a reasonable price.

I edited the first post to say a bit about your RAM as well but you replied during so most likely missed it.

I'm not too sure which power supply is the best now, because both of you say the opposite things, but at the moment, I'm in favor of going with the one @Aniallation recommended, but my opinion may differ if you could convince me. Also, I have one stick of 4gb or RAM. My real RAM is this: 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006XB56VI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

But I don't know if I should buy another identical 4gb stick, or this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006XB56VI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

They're both exactly the same brand and they both are 1333Mhz models, so there is no difference other than the fact that one is 4gb and the other is 8gb, so compatibility/matching shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers!

I read reviews. Lots said that EVGA cheaped out on the FTW edition and forced them to make a FTW+, the FTW+ was out of stock so I got the G1 Gaming after watching a few videos. No regrets. G1 is quiet and cool. Had some coil whine, but I don't really hear it much anymore. Maybe it started to go away or I'm just used to it.

Okay, so you have the G1 Gaming GPU. What games do you mostly play on your PC (if you don't mind me asking) and what settings and fps do you play at? Could you also tell me the rest of your PC build?

Cheers!

G1 gaming ftw 

There is no Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming FTW. Only the Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming. There is the EVGA GTX 970 FTW, if that's what you were inferring.

Okay, so you have the G1 Gaming GPU. What games do you mostly play on your PC (if you don't mind me asking) and what settings and fps do you play at? Could you also tell me the rest of your PC build?

Cheers!

WoW, GTA 5, heroes of the storm. Thats about it right now. WoW runs at around 60 fps ultra going down to 20-30 in raids. GTA 5 I don't really know. I don't monitor FPS because it runs fine, same with heroes of the storm.

I have a 4770k, 16gb of ram and I run on 1080p with 3 monitors for multi tasking.

WoW, GTA 5, heroes of the storm. Thats about it right now. WoW runs at around 60 fps ultra going down to 20-30 in raids. GTA 5 I don't really know. I don't monitor FPS because it runs fine, same with heroes of the storm.

I have a 4770k, 16gb of ram and I run on 1080p with 3 monitors for multi tasking.

Are those all the games you play?

Cheers!

Are those all the games you play?

Cheers!

As of now, yeah. At least as far as modern games go. Sometimes I play skyrim, mass effect, or cs:go a bit. Those aren't taxing. 

Yeah, that does actually clear up a lot of things, thanks, I will go for the power supply you linked then Just one last thing. Just to confirm 100%,, once again, why should I go for the G1 Gaming and not the EVGA version? I was told that the difference would be 3-4fps in favor of the EVGA version. I really don't mind sound at all. But temperature wise, which would be better? And gaming wise? Because, like I said, I want medium-high settings at least, and also 60fps.

There's going to be very little difference between the G1 and the EVGA... if anything the G1 will perform better with GPU Boost 2.0, because the 970 is better temperature-wise.

I have the G1 myself and get solid 60 FPS in all the games I play at high-ultra settings, even with a CPU bottleneck.

"Rawr XD"

Cheers!

Whwre did you hear the EVGA 970 was better? I heard the it was EVGA<MSI<Gigabyte for 970s. I own a 970 G1 gaming along with 4790k and 16 GB of ram. I max out Mafia 2, ARMA 3, Just Cause 2 and even Arkham Knight and get almost always 60 fps. I can get even higher on some of those but I use Vsync.

I researched graphics cards like crazy and the G1 gaming is the one you will want for the best overclocks because it can draw more power than EVGA's, gauntlet sorting and the Windforce cooler. Temps stay low and over clocking is fantastic! Up to stock 980 speeds!

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

I'm not too sure which power supply is the best now, because both of you say the opposite things, but at the moment, I'm in favor of going with the one @Aniallation recommended, but my opinion may differ if you could convince me. Also, I have one stick of 4gb or RAM. My real RAM is this: 

But I don't know if I should buy another identical 4gb stick, or this:

They're both exactly the same brand and they both are 1333Mhz models, so there is no difference other than the fact that one is 4gb and the other is 8gb, so compatibility/matching shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers!

Yeah I get you I read the article and while what there saying about the PSU may be true it has no real world difference to be honest your not going to turn on your pc and think damn such and such is bothering me because you're never going to see or hear the effects because there only things that are going to annoy overly picky people and only because they know it's there not because they wouldn't even notice it if you put there system with a new label. But I'm not going to try and force you just buy what you're comfortable with.

And for your ram go with the identical 4 GB stick as you should match the size of RAM ideally the labels not so important as long as they operate at the same speed but should really go with same label for safe practice. You linked the 8GB version in both btw but I'll imagine it says 4GB instead of 8 :P

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Gigabyte did cheap out themselves, just FYI. And they aren't exactly quiet.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Get the Gigabyte G1. 

If someone told you to get more fps with a lower clockspeed he lied to you. The EVGA GTX970 comes with a little lower clockspeed then the Gigabyte Card.

Also the Gigabyte Card has a better cooler, potential higher powerlimit when it comes to OC. The Gigabyte Card is the better choice performance wise.

You can also use a Bios mod for Nospin fans when under a certain temperature.

There is no reason to favor the EVGA CARD. There are only reasons to favor EVGA as company because of there support. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |