Craigslist Buy/Build

I recently watched Linus's video on how he was challenged to build a gaming rig for less than $300, so my friends and I decided to try that as well.  I was the victor as I found a fully-built PC on craigslist for $300 with the following:

i7 2700k

Gigabyte z68xp-ud4 

Superclock EVGA GTX 580

Raidmax 1200 watt 80 plus gold power supply

A-Data 60gb SSD

Samsung 1tb HDD

8gb of 2000mhz ddr3

Outside of the most important hardware this thing came with a Sceptre 24" LED monitor, a razer blackwidow ult, a kinda old AZZA case, and a lot of extra cables.

I was wondering, what can I do to enhance this thing?  Is it worth trying to upgrade at all or should I just part this out and continue to build on a preexisting PC.  Ideally, I would like to have two (one for home and one for college) but yeah.  I guess I'm wondering what the modern limitations of this will be

Get a bit of cheaper processor for a better graphic card maybe. And a less overkill power supply for a larger SSD.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Upgrade the GPU to something like a GTX 960 and get another SSD for a boot drive and you got a pretty good PC :)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Get a bit of cheaper processor for a better graphic card maybe. And a less overkill power supply for a larger SSD.

You didnt read the thread I take it.

/pls

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

thats a great PC for the price

that CPU alone is worth over $200

I would definitely keep it and make a second PC

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

thats a steal the motherboard and processor is worth 300 the rest is bonus

hah thanks guys! I know it was a good deal, it wouldn't boot when I originally bought it.  Found out it was a problem with the mobo (had a broken sata port so I moved the drives around, works fine)  I was wondering how much I could overclock this thing without damaging it too badly.  I wanna try to get around 4.3ghz.  Also I am moat likely putting an r9 280x in it

hah thanks guys! I know it was a good deal, it wouldn't boot when I originally bought it.  Found out it was a problem with the mobo (had a broken sata port so I moved the drives around, works fine)  I was wondering how much I could overclock this thing without damaging it too badly.  I wanna try to get around 4.3ghz.  Also I am moat likely putting an r9 280x in it

Yeah a 280x in there with the 2700k should max out most games at 1080p.