System Usage

So I thought I would download F@H. It seems like a good thing to do, anything to help the medical community. However, the folding puts my CPU and GPU usage up quite high. Is there a way to adjust the usage?

I'd like to set it to approximately 20%-50%.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

You can adjust the overall usage with either the web-ui or the clients-gui.

Try setting it to its lowest setting. That should do it for you.

~Judah

You can adjust the overall usage with either the web-ui or the clients-gui.

Try setting it to its lowest setting. That should do it for you.

I tried this, however, the lowest setting sets my CPU to about 50% usage, but doesn't utilise my GPU at all. It just sits there, whereas I want that running at approx. 50% as well.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

I tried this, however, the lowest setting sets my CPU to about 50% usage, but doesn't utilise my GPU at all. It just sits there, whereas I want that running at approx. 50% as well.

If you are folding on GPU, it usually wont kick in until the computer is idle. The GPU is either folding, or it is not. There is no half-way point for it.

If you are folding on CPU, you have to take into account the system usage as well as the F@H usage. Also, if you are folding on GPU your CPU usage will report as very high, due to the GPU's high polling rate. The CPU is not doing much work, it is just being polled a lot. You can read more about this on its forum thread here:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/392404-gpu-folding-facts-and-fiction-configuration-and-settings/

~Judah

If you are folding on GPU, it usually wont kick in until the computer is idle. The GPU is either folding, or it is not. There is no half-way point for it.

If you are folding on CPU, you have to take into account the system usage as well as the F@H usage. Also, if you are folding on GPU your CPU usage will report as very high, due to the GPU's high polling rate. The CPU is not doing much work, it is just being polled a lot. You can read more about this on its forum thread here:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/392404-gpu-folding-facts-and-fiction-configuration-and-settings/

So you can't set a 'folding speed' as such?

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

So you can't set a 'folding speed' as such?

Not on GPU's. It is also fairly difficult on CPU's.

On my computer, folding on "light" uses 2 cores, medium uses 4, and high uses all 8. So it is kinda the same as on GPU's, except instead of only having one compute unit to work with, CPU folding can simply use more or less of the available compute units.

For example, in GPU folding:

0/1 compute units = 0%,

1/1 compute units = 100%

Where in CPU folding:

2/8 compute units = 25%,

4/8 compute units = 50%,

8/8 compute units = 100%

~Judah

Not on GPU's. It is also fairly difficult on CPU's.

On my computer, folding on "light" uses 2 cores, medium uses 4, and high uses all 8. So it is kinda the same as on GPU's, except instead of only having one compute unit to work with, CPU folding can simply use more or less of the available compute units.

For example, in GPU folding:

0/1 compute units = 0%,

1/1 compute units = 100%

Where in CPU folding:

2/8 compute units = 25%,

4/8 compute units = 50%,

8/8 compute units = 100%

Ahhh, I see. Thanks for the insight. :)

My only concern was that I was going to run it at night, but my PC is a little noisy under load.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

Ahhh, I see. Thanks for the insight. :)

My only concern was that I was going to run it at night, but my PC is a little noisy under load.

Maybe you could invest in good fans or a better cooler? That is always an option.

You could also simply stick to the lightest setting. Every little bit counts, so unless you are being competitive i wouldnt worry too much about if you can contribute a lot or not

~Judah

Maybe you could invest in good fans or a better cooler? That is always an option.

You could also simply stick to the lightest setting. Every little bit counts, so unless you are being competitive i wouldnt worry too much about if you can contribute a lot or not

I'm currently using a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO and 2x Corsair AF140's + 1x Corsair 120mm (don't know what it is, came with my case). I would say they're pretty good, but my custom fan curve has my system running at about 40% fan speed which is pretty audible.

I'm not interested in folding competitively, just want to help out. :)

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler