Overclocking questions and doubts

Hey,

A few GPU overclocking questions, some info before that though, my GPU is a GTX 970, all the questions assume power limit is at max (110%) and that there is no temperature bottleneck occurring. I know something on how to overclock but even after looking at some guides I still have some questions:

1. Is there such a thing as running too many benchmarks which could in some sort of way decrease the lifespan of the GPU?
  2. Is the core voltage the variable which if increased can decrease the lifespan of the GPU or do the other variables (core clock and memory clock) also decrease lifespan as much?
  3. Is there any damage done to the card when the driver stops working and recovers when you overclocked it too hard?
  4. What is the difference between base clock and boost clock?
  5. What is maybe the one most important thing I should look out for when overclocking that could cause permanent damage to the card?

Thanks guys

1.) If the GPU is running at 100% constantly, yes it does reduce lifespan because you are pushing more current through the GPU and subsequently more voltage because of power saving features.

2.) Increasing voltage does decrease the lifespan of a component. Clock speed does as well, but to a much lesser extent.

3.)Instability does not necessarily reflect damage to the card. It can, but it likely won't. It just means the GPU can't sustain the requested clocks.

4.) Base clock is what the GPU starts at. Boost clock is what the GPU well...boosts to. It gets confusing because the boost clock on a product page isn't really accurate anymore. People have gotten higher boost clocks than what was on the product page without doing any overclocking.

5.) Voltage and temperatures.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1.) If the GPU is running at 100% constantly, yes it does reduce lifespan because you are pushing more current through the GPU and subsequently more voltage because of power saving features.

2.) Increasing voltage does decrease the lifespan of a component. Clock speed does as well, but to a much lesser extent.

3.)Instability does not necessarily reflect damage to the card. It can, but it likely won't. It just means the GPU can't sustain the requested clocks.

4.) Base clock is what the GPU starts at. Boost clock is what the GPU well...boosts to. It gets confusing because the boost clock on a product page isn't really accurate anymore. People have gotten higher boost clocks than what was on the product page without doing any overclocking.

Well, I learned more from this than any other guide and in just a few minutes. thanks

I dont think that having the gpu running at 100% for the time frame that most benchmarks are run at will cause any harm to the card. Unless its 24/7 like what bitcoin cards go though, it should be fine.

Running multiple benchmarks should not really do anything other getting really bad scores...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

I dont think that having the gpu running at 100% for the time frame that most benchmarks are run at will cause any harm to the card. Unless its 24/7 like what bitcoin cards go though, it should be fine.

Running multiple benchmarks should not really do anything other getting really bad scores...

It causes additional wear and tear which is still damage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_and_tear

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

It causes additional wear and tear which is still damage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_and_tear

yes, but the gpu usage between running one benchmark (assuming its optimized), and multiple at the same time wont be very different, so it should also wear out the same no matter how many benchmarks you are running.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

yes, but the gpu usage between running one benchmark (assuming its optimized), and multiple at the same time wont be very different, so it should also wear out the same no matter how many benchmarks you are running.

I did not say running multiple benchmarks at the same time would do anything - I said running the GPU at 100% causes damage due to the voltage and power increase. This applies to not only benchmarks, but normal usage in games. Any usage causes wear and tear - it applies to shoes, engines, power supplies, desks, phones, etc.

Can I just throw a question here as you seem so knowledgeable, should I worry about my card reaching 80 degrees celcius under full load? (Gtx 770 with stock cooler) aver overclocking it, will it decrease its lifespan?

Can I just throw a question here as you seem so knowledgeable, should I worry about my card reaching 80 degrees celcius under full load? (Gtx 770 with stock cooler) aver overclocking it, will it decrease its lifespan?

NVIDIA says 80C is safe and their cards reach 80C by default anyways.