Gamers claim Elite: Dangerous graphics have been watered down

ahhming

Some user reported that the dust/fog effects have been radically reduced, the Galaxy Map has changed, textures look worse, and the Ring LOD and Station Letterbox Draw Distance have both been reduced. Frontier has hit back, saying that some of those things have indeed happened, addressing concerns on whether the PC version of Elite: Dangerous has been downgraded because of the upcoming release of the game on the Xbox One.

sVJVUXa.jpg
0BeqVPo.jpg

As Greg Ryder, Frontier’s Head of Rendering, said, the team is inclined to downgrade the appearance of anything in the game, and that the Dust/Fog system was optimised due to a pathological case of overdraw, thus some systems may look a bit worse than before.

“Please thank Granite for putting together a thread like this. The team is always striving to make things better, and we’ve found a number of things using the profiling tools on the Mac and Xbox One that have improved the PC build (thus the opposite to the fear they might lower the quality of the PC build). Elite: Dangerous is built to scale on PC (including 16k screenshot ability and hopefully one day 16k game when the monitors & graphics cards exist!). We are certainly not inclined to downgrade the appearance of anything in the game. Exposing more tweakables for an enhanced Ultra is clearly something you guys are passionate about and we’ll see where it can fit in the current roadmap.

On the ships / galaxy map front, I’m not aware of any changes that went in for 1.3.

Dust / Fog: This was optimised due to a pathological case of overdraw (which looked very broken in a number of cases). There’s definitely no downgrade due to our Mac and Xbox One versions, but there have been some changes. Performance and visual consistency should be improved in the general case, however it does seem that some systems are not looking as good as they did. As ever there is no perfect solution. For a fair comparison, the exact same position and lighting conditions are needed (some viewing angles will always looks more awesome!), but we could have entire threads dedicated to discussions on how to light rings (and we’ve had many long discussions internally). I have a number of open issues in our system on the look of the rings, though currently no ETA for when we’ll be addressing them.”

texture reduction

1xapF5c.jpg

Some graphical downgrade include
  • shorter draw distance

• reduce in planet surface detail

IMO surface detail in early betas was much more interesting than what we have now. Although craters for example looked a little cartoonish, overall planets had more memorable detail, variation and character to them. Some even simulating Voronoi-like erosion features.
Now the surface variation is quite lacking, everything looks bland and blurry even with custom ini tweaks.

Source:
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/elite-dangerous-gamers-claim-downgrade-ation-in-latest-build-frontier-responds/

Check out  original post for comparison 
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=162195

Man, space sims have come along way.

I guess the changes aren't too severe? I geuss we'll just have to see how 'downgraded' it gets.

So were those asteroid fields? They seem unnaturally dense.

E:D just doesn't seem like the ideal couch potato game. I hope it works out for Frontier. However I sadly remember the train wreck of trying to appeal to the instant action crowd in wwiionline. Maybe the rift will work on the Xbox and this will be a gateway drug.

Welp. Here we are again...anyone up for 50-page threads again? :P

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

is it possible to mod the game ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Hmm the game was already well optimized. Performance was already very good.

Hopefully CIG never tries to get Star Citizen to work on consoles.

They straight up said a while ago that consoles "couldn't handle it".

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Because they were shilling to mustards, I guarantee you people with worse hardware than consoles will play it

I beat Arkham Knight and have been playing witcher 3 on a 560ti, as long as the feature set is there, it can handle it in since capacity

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

F*&^ THAT S#$T NO NO NO 

Haven't played elite in 2 months cause im away from my pc and now i hear this F*&^ YOU CONSOLES

They also said, including Chris, that SC is A PC ONLY GAME.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

They also said, including Chris, that SC is A PC ONLY GAME.

I know, I know. But how many devs have blatantly lied before? I hope CIG never goes back on it's word like that but it's not completely impossible.

I know, I know. But how many devs have blatantly lied before? I hope CIG never goes back on it's word like that but it's not completely impossible.

Well, SC is quite a bit different from other games as well. Ultimately, it's Chris that makes these decisions, not CIG and he has always been a PC enthusiast.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Changes are definitely noticeable. I'm surprised they would do things like this in the wake of everything else that has happened...

Because they were shilling to mustards, I guarantee you people with worse hardware than consoles will play it

I beat Arkham Knight and have been playing witcher 3 on a 560ti, as long as the feature set is there, it can handle it in since capacity

Sure people with shit-tier PCs will try to play the game and will have shit performance. But just people some people will try to play the game with hardware worse than the consoles shouldn't mean the CIG should spent time and money trying to develop for two other platforms that will give a subpar experience. It costs them nothing to let people with low end hardware play the game.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

If you have a 'bad case of overdraw in some cases' then create option to disable/lower the quality of dust in Settings, don't just turn it off for the entire playerbase...

Whatever they did to the graphics, it won't change the fact that there's currently nothing to do in this game apart from grinding cash to buy better ships to grind faster.

Sure people with shit-tier PCs will try to play the game and will have shit performance. But just people some people will try to play the game with hardware worse than the consoles shouldn't mean the CIG should spent time and money trying to develop for two other platforms that will give a subpar experience. It costs them nothing to let people with low end hardware play the game.

Star Citizen would work nicely on consoles considering the other games which the consoles run. Remember people with console grade GPUs like the 750ti are playing star citizen comfortably. It not being on consoles is mostly a marketing thing. The initial premise of the kickstarter campaign was that this game is PC first in order to appeal to our community. Also the kind of development process they are following with beta modules released incrementally and heavy community involvement can only work on PC.

Once the game is out don't be surprised to see a console port. At 900p 30fps with graphics not turned up it will be fine. We know it's not a resource issue because they keep adding more staff and more features at the drop of a hat.

If I remember correctly, they've always said "star citizen will never be on console". It's designed for PC alone.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

but...why?

This game ran at 60fps1080p on a 650m...why would they do this?

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

My brother ran the game on a 670GTX maxed out at 1080p at around 80-100FPS, why on earth would they have to optimize more?

Star Citizen would work nicely on consoles considering the other games which the consoles run. Remember people with console grade GPUs like the 750ti are playing star citizen comfortably. It not being on consoles is mostly a marketing thing. The initial premise of the kickstarter campaign was that this game is PC first in order to appeal to our community. Also the kind of development process they are following with beta modules released incrementally and heavy community involvement can only work on PC.

Once the game is out don't be surprised to see a console port. At 900p 30fps with graphics not turned up it will be fine. We know it's not a resource issue because they keep adding more staff and more features at the drop of a hat.

Well console also has a severe lack of controls. I couldn't imagine playing Star Citizen with just a controller. Too many keybindings for important tasks.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Really?!
What, are they afraid people won't be able to drive a game, would be a bad thing to make a certain game look great on max and people could play it with more powerful PCs or later in future.

Why do visuals in games have to be so much reduced...

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |