So I've got a UPS, voltage fluctuations!

Sasinda98

I've got a ups that was sitting around for 2yrs or so and I connected a used car battery reading a initial voltage of 11volts. When the ups is unplugged(providing backup power from its sockets) the voltmeter shows 170volts fluctuating between 175 and 165.. Is the ups bad? My PSU is a V650 is rated to 250v-110v in the box it came in.

Do I need new ups? Is prolink SFC1200va good?

Note-: in my country they use 240V for wall socket..

I'm concerned of 170v instead of 240v when providing backup and those fluctuations. I need new ups don't I?

Voltmeter is accurate by the way.

Thanks to everyone!

PSU is built to run around 120V and 240V, handling fluctations. If it's a constant 170V I wouldn't recommend it... You might be able to ask the manufacturer about it.

-SNIP-

Note your car battery is dead at 11V it needs to be replaced or re conditioned to see if it can hold a proper 12-13V range which is where it should be at that may be causing the lower than proper 240V but I've never hear of Prolink UPS's so i don't know if they are reliable they are. however at such a low voltage it might cut out if a load is applied or shut down.

From initial look it seems to be decent with simulated sinwave and all the proper safety features but a bit low on the 600W rating at 1200VA.

http://www.lelong.com.my/prolink-pro1200sfc-1200va-super-fast-charging-ups-limmach-137876470-2015-08-Sale-P.htm

PSU is built to run around 120V and 240V, handling fluctations. If it's a constant 170V I wouldn't recommend it... You might be able to ask the manufacturer about it.

You mean it needs to fluctuate?

Note your car battery is dead at 11V it needs to be replaced or re conditioned to see if it can hold a proper 12-13V range which is where it should be at that may be causing the lower than proper 240V but I've never hear of Prolink UPS's so i don't know if they are reliable they are. however at such a low voltage it might cut out if a load is applied or shut down.

From initial look it seems to be decent with simulated sinwave and all the proper safety features but a bit low on the 600W rating at 1200VA.

http://www.lelong.com.my/prolink-pro1200sfc-1200va-super-fast-charging-ups-limmach-137876470-2015-08-Sale-P.htm

I did not charge the battery the time I checked whether it works on the UPS. When charged it holds 12volts

You mean it needs to fluctuate?

No, I mean that PSUs are designed to run at 120V/240V average, capable of handling spikes that go quite a bit above/below.

Not continuous.

No, I mean that PSUs are designed to run at 120V/240V average, capable of handling spikes that go quite a bit above/below.

Not continuous.

I did not charge the battery the time I checked whether it works on the UPS. When charged it holds 12volts

While it can do in between voltages since almost all PSU's have Active PFC it wouldn't be as good in the long term.

My guess in either the unit is out of spec since AC voltage can vary around +/-12% max on most units it's a bit far out of that 12% being at 170V.