Case fan

Janezzz

Would adding a new case fan improve my cooling?

I am thinking of getting one because they are very cheap.

I already have one at the front of the case.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 3.2 Ghz \\ Motherboard: MSI H97 PC MATE ATX \\ RAM: Corsair 2x4 GB 1600 Mhz \\ GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 4 GB DDR5 \\ Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB, 7200 RPM and an external WD Elements 1 TB HDD \\ PSU: Corsair VS650W \\ Case: Cooler Master K350 \\ Optical drive: Samsung R/W 24x \\ OS: Windows 10 64-bit \\ Keyboard/Mouse: Both DELL \\ Display: Samsung 28-inch TV 1080p 60 Hz \\ Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Electric Blue 16 GB

yup

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

another fan probably isn't a good idea unless you like to overclock. One case Fan is enough. What are your specs?

Depends where and how it's placed; but for the most part, yes.

Some things you might want to take note of is the two different types: Static Pressure and Air Flow. Since you've not told us where you'll be placing a new fan and if anything is obstructing it, I can't help you past that, really.

You might want to post your case for us to look at in terms of placement, size, etc.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

I5 4460

GTX 970

1 TB WD BLUE

K350 COOLER MASTER

VS650W CORSAIR

8 GB RAM

another fan probably isn't a good idea unless you like to overclock. One case Fan is enough. What are your specs?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 3.2 Ghz \\ Motherboard: MSI H97 PC MATE ATX \\ RAM: Corsair 2x4 GB 1600 Mhz \\ GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 4 GB DDR5 \\ Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB, 7200 RPM and an external WD Elements 1 TB HDD \\ PSU: Corsair VS650W \\ Case: Cooler Master K350 \\ Optical drive: Samsung R/W 24x \\ OS: Windows 10 64-bit \\ Keyboard/Mouse: Both DELL \\ Display: Samsung 28-inch TV 1080p 60 Hz \\ Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Electric Blue 16 GB

I5 4460

GTX 970

1 TB WD BLUE

K350 COOLER MASTER

VS650W CORSAIR

8 GB RAM

If you're on the fence I would say go with your gut.

Depends where and how it's placed; but for the most part, yes.

Some things you might want to take note of is the two different types: Static Pressure and Air Flow. Since you've not told us where you'll be placing a new fan and if anything is obstructing it, I can't help you past that, really.

You might want to post your case for us to look at in terms of placement, size, etc.

Im planing to put it at the top or the back of the case

Based on what evidence? Stock clocked hardware benefits from lower temps as well. Lower noise production from GPU and CPU coolers and lower temps lead to longer component lifespan. Not to mention that boost states for the CPU and GPU can be more reliably maintained thus increasing performance even if you're not overclocking.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Your case [this?] supports a 120MM at the rear (exhaust). It doesn't sound like you have an radiator of any sorts on that rear, so it'll just be the standard fan.

Next question: would you prefer it to be really quiet or are you not really bothered?

Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Your case [this?] supports a 120MM at the rear (exhaust). It doesn't sound like you have an radiator of any sorts on that rear, so it'll just be the standard fan.

Next question: would you prefer it to be really quiet or are you not really bothered?

Yes indeed that is my case.

I am not really bothered if its loud.

Installing a new fan should improve cooling. Check out my Noctua VS Corsair fan comparison for more information:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/399195-noctua-vs-corsair-fans-rpm-airflow-acoustics-static-pressure-comparison-w-links/

I would recommend a Noctua NF-S12A PWM fan @ 120mm. It provides excellent airflow and includes a low noise adapter if you want to install that.

NF-S12A PWM link:

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=57&lng=en&set=1

BigDay

I would agree with BigDay. Go for Noctuas - I notice in some areas they are a bit more expensive than in others, so depending on this, you could also aim for Corsair AF120(s) as the next best thing. Do check out BigDay's links, they're really worth looking at.

I would agree with BigDay. Go for Noctuas - I notice in some areas they are a bit more expensive than in others, so depending on this, you could also aim for Corsair AF120(s) as the next best thing. Do check out BigDay's links, they're really worth looking at.

Installing a new fan should improve cooling. Check out my Noctua VS Corsair fan comparison for more information:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/399195-noctua-vs-corsair-fans-rpm-airflow-acoustics-static-pressure-comparison-w-links/

I would recommend a Noctua NF-S12A PWM fan @ 120mm. It provides excellent airflow and includes a low noise adapter if you want to install that.

NF-S12A PWM link:

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=57&lng=en&set=1

Thank you for your help

another fan probably isn't a good idea unless you like to overclock. One case Fan is enough.

Can someone explain this? More fans = more air flow, or am I mistaken?

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

Can someone explain this? More fans = more air flow, or am I mistaken?

Yes, but it gets to a point where there's probably not much room for lower temps without introducing other forms of cooling too compared to just having a bazillion fans.

In my humble opinion one fan in the front as intake and one at the back as exhaust is mandatory.

One more intake at the side getting fresh air to the GPU is good and adding another at the top as exhaust would give you some nice airflow in your case.

Fan prices range from 2-20€ here and for 15-20€ you can get 4pin PWM controlled and mostly quiet fans.

The more fans the better! If you got the money to spend on lots of fans, just go ahead and do it!

BigDay