Laptop for College...gaming or Mac mod ?

What's up guys,

I have asked this question before but I have changed my mind recently. I really liked the dell xps 13, but the screen looked small when I saw it at the Microsoft store. I'm coming from a 32 inch Samsung monitor on my pc, so I might have to adapt. I finally figured out that bringing my rig is going to be too much of a hassle so I need something that can run witcher 3 decently or cs go, I like the power behind gaming laptops but not the size. Razer blades look amazing to me, but a little on the pricey side... I would get a Mac because my brother has one and it looks stunning and performs well. I saw someone that had a pci expansion box (something like that) and transformed his into a gaming laptop, any info on that?  Also I heard of Asorus, but I can't find one anywhere.

To make things short, I need a laptop that is thin like a blade with a mac book budget so around($2000) but performs like a gaming rig. As always thanks for the info, its appreciated :)

SNIP

my vote goes for the MSI GS60 Ghost pro with 970m 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I didn't even know that existed, thanks.

As ShadowCaptain said, the gs60 will be a good choice if you find the blade a bit too pricey, and dont mind the lesser build quality. It has very similar specs, so is a much better choice in regards to price/performance

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

As ShadowCaptain said, the gs60 will be a good choice if you find the blade a bit too pricey, and dont mind the lesser build quality. It has very similar specs, so is a much better choice in regards to price/performance

Is the blade worth the extra $400?

Is the blade worth the extra $400?

I have the blade, but only because i got it used off someone for a fairly reasonable price.

Even though I had been eyeing out the blade since the 2014 model came out, i cant see myself getting it first hand, even though it has everything I want in a laptop...

If you put build quality above all else, then go for it, because I had a msi gs70 before the blade, and even though it was made of metal, the build quality was not amazing, and it had as much flex as some laptops with a plastic construction. 

The gs60 if im not mistaken has a spot for a laptop hdd as well, so objectively speaking it is the better choice, but if you are looking for the build quality of the blade/ a black macbook, then you will be hard pressed to find it anywhere else...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

If you put build quality above all else, then go for it, because I had a msi gs70 before the blade, and even though it was made of metal, the build quality was not amazing, and it had as much flex as some laptops with a plastic construction. 

The gs60 if im not mistaken has a spot for a laptop hdd as well, so objectively speaking it is the better choice, but if you are looking for the build quality of the blade/ a black macbook, then you will be hard pressed to find it anywhere else...

I have done some research, is the bloatware alot on the msi and what about the bezel? 

I have done some research, is the bloatware alot on the msi and what about the bezel? 

I dont think so, but my gs70 was a demo unit in the shop, so windows was reinstalled before I got it.

The bezel on the gs70 was about average in size, and made out of plastic, so it didnt really instill confidence in the build quality (its meant to be removable in case someone needs to repair the lcd)

Clevo P650SE. Has 3 cooling fans, 970M, 4 RAM slots, 2 M.2 SSD slots, 2 2.5" SATA slots, 25mm in thickness and 2.5kg in weight. The only downside is the brushed metal finish.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

I dont think so, but my gs70 was a demo unit in the shop, so windows was reinstalled before I got it.

The bezel on the gs70 was about average in size, and made out of plastic, so it didnt really instill confidence in the build quality (its meant to be removable in case someone needs to repair the lcd)

What do you think of the GS70 in comparison to the GS60? Is the GS70 heavy? Is the 17" screen too large?Hows the screen quality and does the thing overheat to hell?

I'm seriously considering a laptop and I simply can't decide between the two, the silver GS70 I'm considering looks so damn good though. Both have a 965m.

It will be constantly travelling with me and I'm in the UK.

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

What do you think of the GS70 in comparison to the GS60? Is the GS70 heavy? Is the 17" screen too large?Hows the screen quality and does the thing overheat to hell?

I'm seriously considering a laptop and I simply can't decide between the two, the silver GS70 I'm considering looks so damn good though. Both have a 965m.

It will be constantly travelling with me and I'm in the UK.

I got the gs70 as an upgrade to my previous desktop replacement (series 7 games from Samsung), as I thought it would be easier to take it around (its like half as thick), but a 17" laptop is going to be bulky no matter how thin it is. It isnt very heavy at all, but it barely fit in my bag which was a slight hindrance.

my gs70 had a pretty horrible tn screen, where the matte film on top made white hues sort of sparkle, so that wasent the best (the newer ones come with an ips panel, so it should be better)

temps were not too bad, especially in daily use, but the fans were very "edgy" and would ramp up in reaction to spikes in the cpu temps, that became pretty annoying (it got fixed a bit in a bios update, but it is likely ok in the newer models)

the 965m likely has a low tdp due to its maxwell architecture, so temps should be better than the 765m I had in mine, and even then temps were not too bad (it did not throttle when I played games in India with ambient temps of 40C)

the gs60 will likely be better if you plan on traveling a lot, but if you like larger screens, then it will take a bit of getting used to

I got the gs70 as an upgrade to my previous desktop replacement (series 7 games from Samsung), as I thought it would be easier to take it around (its like half as thick), but a 17" laptop is going to be bulky no matter how thin it is. It isnt very heavy at all, but it barely fit in my bag which was a slight hindrance.

my gs70 had a pretty horrible tn screen, where the matte film on top made white hues sort of sparkle, so that wasent the best (the newer ones come with an ips panel, so it should be better)

temps were not too bad, especially in daily use, but the fans were very "edgy" and would ramp up in reaction to spikes in the cpu temps, that became pretty annoying (it got fixed a bit in a bios update, but it is likely ok in the newer models)

the 965m likely has a low tdp due to its maxwell architecture, so temps should be better than the 765m I had in mine, and even then temps were not too bad (it did not throttle when I played games in India with ambient temps of 40C)

the gs60 will likely be better if you plan on traveling a lot, but if you like larger screens, then it will take a bit of getting used to

Yea it's just I'd like a larger screen and the GS70 in silver I'm looking at looks stunning. It also looks less flimsy than the ghost.

1024.png

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

Yea it's just I'd like a larger screen and the GS70 in silver I'm looking at looks stunning. It also looks less flimsy than the ghost.

1024.png

If you are looking for something that isnt flimsy, the gs70 isnt it. I cant say about the gs60, but the gs70 had some noticable flex behind the monitor, and beside the touchpad area.

Its construction uses a very thin alloy, so while it feels cold to the touch, it does not have any other redeeming quality of a metal construction.

If you are looking for something that isnt flimsy, the gs70 isnt it. I cant say about the gs60, but the gs70 had some noticable flex behind the monitor, and beside the touchpad area.

Its construction uses a very thin alloy, so while it feels cold to the touch, it does not have any other redeeming quality of a metal construction.

Just wondering; how's the Razer Blade? I would consider it but the pricing is straight up insane.

Just wondering; how's the Razer Blade? I would consider it but the pricing is straight up insane.

Its real nice... very few compromises, but it comes at a cost. The pricing really isn't great unless you buy it used like I did.

does msi gs60 has two heat sinks???????????

does msi gs60 has two heat sinks???????????

Dunno I dont own one, notebookcheck did a great review of it, also been hands on with it a few times, its not perfect but for its price its brill

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii