SSD Steup

Daniel0898

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that i found my product key, so that is no longer an issue.

Just remove your HDD, install your OS on your SSD fresh install and make sure your system is booting to your SSD, and then connect your HDD while your system is on and format C drive of your HDD 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

PS. i'm cleaning my in over 6 months, so i'll be awol until later, hope it goes well for you.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that i found my product key, so that is no longer an issue.

Glad you found the product key, I wasn't aware that Windows 8 keys were printed anywhere with OEM PCs.

You will need to install the OS with only the SSD connected to the PC (as stated above). This is because Windows will put the boot info on the HDD with the existing boot info. This would mean the OS on the SSD wouldn't have any boot info with it.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Glad you found the product key, I wasn't aware that Windows 8 keys were printed anywhere with OEM PCs.

You will need to install the OS with only the SSD connected to the PC (as stated above). This is because Windows will put the boot info on the HDD with the existing boot info. This would mean the OS on the SSD wouldn't have any boot info with it.

Okay

So, after I install the os on to the ssd, and I restart with the hdd plugged in, how will i get all my programs back?

So, after I install the os on to the ssd, and I restart with the hdd plugged in, how will i get all my programs back?

you won't, you have to reinstall them. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

you won't, you have to reinstall them. 

****. I have so many things on my computer

****. I have so many things on my computer

no wonder you were replying to the other day so quickly 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

no wonder you were replying to the other day so quickly 

So re-installing windows on my ssd is going to force me to lose everything on my computer; even though all of the info with still be there?

So re-installing windows on my ssd is going to force me to lose everything on my computer; even though all of the info with still be there?

just think of it as fresh install of windows as you just bought a PC. everythings gonna be reset.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

just think of it as fresh install of windows as you just bought a PC. everythings gonna be reset.

That sucks.

That sucks.

It sort of does, but you will also reap the benefits of a cleaner OS. Most of your programs will be pretty easy to reinstall (you might already have the setup files) and you will be able to access all the data on your HDD from the new OS. Hopefully you have the licence keys for your products, but if not you can probably recover them from your old OS using something like Magic Jelly Bean Keyfinder.

You can even redirect your desktop and documents folders to the ones on your HDD using the "Location" tab on Windows 7 and 8:

http://researchaholic.com/2012/08/16/windows-8-how-to-move-user-folders-personal-folder/

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/customize-a-library

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-change-location-folders-such-documents-or-downloads

I hope this helps you somewhat, at least you're not changing platforms :)

It sort of does, but you will also reap the benefits of a cleaner OS. Most of your programs will be pretty easy to reinstall (you might already have the setup files) and you will be able to access all the data on your HDD from the new OS. Hopefully you have the licence keys for your products, but if not you can probably recover them from your old OS using something like Magic Jelly Bean Keyfinder.

You can even redirect your desktop and documents folders to the ones on your HDD using the "Location" tab on Windows 7 and 8:

http://researchaholic.com/2012/08/16/windows-8-how-to-move-user-folders-personal-folder/

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-change-location-folders-such-documents-or-downloads

That's all I want, is to be able to install the os on my ssd, and then have all my information be there when I plug in the hdd :/

Why can't this be more simple lol

Why can't this be more simple lol

https://ninite.com/

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Thanks lol, I've been using this site ever since linus's "4k build." But i am going to do the clean install on my ssd today. I realized that I have a lot of unnecessary **** on my computer, so maybe this will be a good thing lol.

Also I saw that I don't really have a lot to re-download, So I'm only worried about the really big games like bf4 and such :/

So this install should work, I WILL make sure my hdd is unplugged, then I will probably re-format it just to clean it up :)

Anyways, thank you for all your help. You have been very patient with me, more than most people would've been. 

Thanks lol, I've been using this site ever since linus's "4k build." But i am going to do the clean install on my ssd today. I realized that I have a lot of unnecessary **** on my computer, so maybe this will be a good thing lol.

Also I saw that I don't really have a lot to re-download, So I'm only worried about the really big games like bf4 and such :/

So this install should work, I WILL make sure my hdd is unplugged, then I will probably re-format it just to clean it up :)

Anyways, thank you for all your help. You have been very patient with me, more than most people would've been. 

Formatting your HDD will render the data on it inaccessible, so don't do that until you have recovered your files. You can transfer the "common" files form your old Steam install location (on the HDD) to the new install location, or just reinstall Steam into the folder on the HDD. This will remove the need to redownload the games.

Glad to be of assistance :)

Formatting your HDD will render the data on it inaccessible, so don't do that until you have recovered your files. You can transfer the "common" files form your old Steam install location (on the HDD) to the new install location, or just reinstall Steam into the folder on the HDD. This will remove the need to redownload the games.

Sorry, can you explain that more in depth?

And also, i am perfectly fine with wiping my hdd, as long as i can boot up with the ssd. I have a lot of unused programs that are just taking up space, and it would be good to start over.

Additionally, it would only take me about a day to get everything i need back 

I finally did it!!! Windows is now on my ssd! I just need to grab drivers and stuff :D 

Also, as I said previously, can you go more in-depth on how to re-install that steam folder so I don't have to re-download all my games???

I finally did it!!! Windows is now on my ssd! I just need to grab drivers and stuff :D

Also, as I said previously, can you go more in-depth on how to re-install that steam folder so I don't have to re-download all my games???

there's a backup feature on steam, if you had backed up those games, you could have restored them after a reinstall. or you could copy the entire steamfolder to a different location and reinstall steam to that location afterwards.

0401c0db44f78e84f18b13b70510d31e.png

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

The method described by @Rohith_Kumar_Sp above is a good option, you should do that if you can.

If not then you can copy the folders inside the "common" folder where you installed Steam (by default in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\common").

After you move the folders into the new Steam "common" folder you can click "Install" on Steam and it will detect the game files. These are the actual games files that run when you load the game, but don't include your save games. The save games vary in location, so if there are any you want to backup look up the specific game.