SSD Steup

Daniel0898

I just got my Samsung 850 Evo (250gb) and after plugging everything in and booting up, I went to my bios and it wasn't getting detected.

I'm running it with a 1tb hdd, on an Asus X99 pro motherboard.

But anyway, I was wondering if there were any special setup instructions? 

Do I need to turn on Intel Raid for it to be detected?

I already tried updating my bios, and after doing so to the latest version, nothing changed.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advanced!

I just got my Samsung 850 Evo (250gb) and after plugging everything in and booting up, I went to my bios and it wasn't getting detected.

I'm running it with a 1tb hdd, on an Asus X99 pro motherboard.

But anyway, I was wondering if there were any special setup instructions? 

Do I need to turn on Intel Raid for it to be detected?

I already tried updating my bios, and after doing so to the latest version, nothing changed.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advanced!

no, no need for intel rain setup, just change the boot priority, infact remove your old HDD and install with only SSD, turn on TRIM mode and you're good to go.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

no, no need for intel rain setup, just change the boot priority, infact remove your old HDD and install with only SSD, turn on TRIM mode and you're good to go.

Okay, will do, after i boot up with the ssd will it work normally? Because as of now, my hdd still takes all of the load while my ssd just sits there and does nothing...

Also after I boot with the ssd, can I turn off my computer, and plug my hdd back in?

Okay, will do, after i boot up with the ssd will it work normally? Because as of now, my hdd still takes all of the load while my ssd just sits there and does nothing...

Also after I boot with the ssd, can I turn off my computer, and plug my hdd back in?

after you install all the drivers and few restarts later, i suggest you connect the HDD while the system is on and delete the C drive, or make sure that your Boot priority is SSD

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

after you install all the drivers and few restarts later, i suggest you connect the HDD while the system is on and delete the C drive, or make sure that your Boot priority is SSD

Every time I try to boot form the ssd it kicks me back to the bios after a few seconds of loading.

Every time I try to boot form the ssd it kicks me back to the bios after a few seconds of loading.

what mobo are you using ? try setting the priority to SSD and disable boot detection, meaning set the ssd to the 1st priority and your usb and dvd and such to the last, so that when you restart, your system will not check for boot devices such as your windows 7 CD every time 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

what mobo are you using ? try setting the priority to SSD and disable boot detection, meaning set the ssd to the 1st priority and your usb and dvd and such to the last, so that when you restart, your system will not check for boot devices such as your windows 7 CD every time 

Asus x99 pro, Yes i have tried all of that, I've even unplugged everything and just tried to boot with the ssd, nothing...

Do you think i need to transfer my os on to my ssd?

Do you think i need to transfer my os on to my ssd?

No need, even i was facing the same issue when i got my SSD, what happens after going into bios menu? will it go it OS after save and exit ? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

No need, even i was facing the same issue when i got my SSD, what happens after going into bios menu? will it go it OS after save and exit?

I manually tell it to boot with the ssd. It then continues to try to boot, but then after about 10 seconds

of a black screen, it kicks me back into the bios.

It continues to do this until I boot with my hdd

I manually tell it to boot with the ssd. It then continues to try to boot, but then after about 10 seconds

of a black screen, it kicks me back into the bios.

It continues to do this until I boot with my hdd

ok, you need to remove your HDD and format your SSD and reinstall windows again, i did it too, before it worked.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

ok, you need to remove your HDD and format your SSD and reinstall windows again, i did it too, before it worked.

Sorry, lol, but can you maybe walk me through this?

Sorry, lol, but can you maybe walk me through this?

power outage here, will reply back when it returns. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

power outage here, will reply back when it returns. 

Okay

Okay

first thing, reconnect your HDD and set HDD as a priority and make sure your OLD os loads. 

if it does format your SSD in windows 

then remove your HDD and only connect your SSD, when you restart it should tell you no os found

then proceed to reinstalling WIndows at the middle of the installation, your PC should restart to continue installation, if it restarts and continue installation, then everything is working fine 

enable TRIM in the options, set SSD to priority back, enable intel raid, nothing can go wrong. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

first thing, reconnect your HDD and set HDD as a priority and make sure your OLD os loads. 

if it does format your SSD in windows 

then remove your HDD and only connect your SSD, when you restart it should tell you no os found

then proceed to reinstalling WIndows at the middle of the installation, your PC should restart to continue installation, if it restarts and continue installation, then everything is working fine 

enable TRIM in the options, set SSD to priority back, enable intel raid, nothing can go wrong. 

I can't format my ssd. I went to disk management and it showed my ssd was unallocated, there wasn't anything i could do

I can't format my ssd. I went to disk management and it showed my ssd was unallocated, there wasn't anything i could do

go to disk management and allocate it. then format it.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

go to disk management and allocate it. then format it.

awesome, found out how to allocate it lol, not sure how i missed it lol. I also formatted it. So do i just shut down, unplug the hdd, then boot back up with only the ssd?

awesome, found out how to allocate it lol, not sure how i missed it lol. I also formatted it. So do i just shut down, unplug the hdd, then boot back up with only the ssd

yup.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

yup.

I did that, but it kicked me back to my bios just like last time.

I did that, but it kicked me back to my bios just like last time.

Have you installed an OS onto the SSD? If you haven't then the PC won't be able to use it as a boot device (because there is no OS to boot there).

If this is the case you will need to reinstall Windows onto the SSD. Depending on your version of Windows it will vary in difficulty. Do you have Windows 8 or Windows 7 (or something else)? Was it preinstalled on your PC, such as an off the shelf from HP or Dell, or did you buy the licence and install it yourself? If you installed it yourself do you still have the install media?

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Have you installed an OS onto the SSD? If you haven't then the PC won't be able to use it as a boot device (because there is no OS to boot there).

If this is the case you will need to reinstall Windows onto the SSD. Depending on your version of Windows it will vary in difficulty. Do you have Windows 8 or Windows 7 (or something else)? Was it preinstalled on your PC, such as an off the shelf from HP or Dell, or did you buy the licence and install it yourself? If you installed it yourself do you still have the install media?

that's what i said from the beginning, install your OS onto your SSD , please tell me you did.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Windows 8. My os was pre-installed on my current hdd. I am not sure how to re-install my os on my ssd, without transferring all of my other files and other things as well :/

that's what i said from the beginning, install your OS onto your SSD , please tell me you did.

^^ That