Can I do better?

Dabombinable

I need to get a better storage drive for my laptop as the temporary 320GB isn't as fast as the original 500GB (5400RPM SATA II HDD vs 7200RPM SATA III HDD). I was thinking of getting a Hitatchi Travelstar 7K1000 1TB 7200RPM HDD as an upgrade, or a Seagate Momentus 5400RPM 500GB SATA III HDD. But after experiencing the performance of the OCZ ARC 100 240GB bought for my desktop, I've decided that an SSD around 500GB would be no loss, especially considering how long they are starting to last and the performance benefit. I was thinking of getting a 480GB Intel 730 series SSD which would cost $329. Now I know that there are cheaper 480/500GB SSD on this particular website, however I do not trust the 850 evo after Samsung's constant issues, or Kingston after the bait and switch, and I will not pre-order. Are there any SSD of around the 400-500GB range that are just as good and cost less?

Edit: This is in Australia BTW-and Amazon is too expensive especially when I take the exchange rate into consideration.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I need to get a better storage drive for my laptop as the temporary 320GB isn't as fast as the original 500GB (5400RPM SATA II HDD vs 7200RPM SATA III HDD). I was thinking of getting a Hitatchi Travelstar 7K1000 1TB 7200RPM HDD as an upgrade, or a Seagate Momentus 5400RPM 500GB SATA III HDD. But after experiencing the performance of the OCZ ARC 100 240GB bought for my desktop, I've decided that an SSD around 500GB would be no loss, especially considering how long they are starting to last and the performance benefit. I was thinking of getting a 480GB Intel 730 series SSD which would cost $329. Now I know that there are cheaper 480/500GB SSD on this particular website, however I do not trust the 850 evo after Samsung's constant issues, or Kingston after the bait and switch, and I will not pre-order. Are there any SSD of around the 400-500GB range that are just as good and cost less?

Edit: This is in Australia BTW-and Amazon is too expensive especially when I take the exchange rate into consideration.

Kingston is fine and all of there lines are great except for the V300 which had the NAND secretly switched and then switched back but all of there other lines are fine.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

~snip~

Hey there Dabobminable,

Have you considered a dual-drive or a hybrid drive solution for more space and more-friendly budget?
I could suggest checking out WD Black2 and WD Blue SSHD. Here are links with more info if you decide to check them out:

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there Dabobminable,

Have you considered a dual-drive or a hybrid drive solution for more space and more-friendly budget?
I could suggest checking out WD Black2 and WD Blue SSHD. Here are links with more info if you decide to check them out:

Captain_WD.

I was actually looking at the WD Black² as an option due to giving me a boot drive of decent capacity as well as more storage, but its difficult to find in any reputable stores. And its similar for the WD Blue SSHD as every store I look at only has a pre-order available.

PMSL

I was actually looking at the WD Black² as an option due to giving me a boot drive of decent capacity as well as more storage, but its difficult to find in any reputable stores. And its similar for the WD Blue SSHD as every store I look at only has a pre-order available.

WD Blue SSHD is indeed still in pre-order phase. You could opt for big online vendors or the WD store, if the shi[[ing cost isn't too much and it it's available at all. :) Otherwise I believe WD Black2 can bring a lot of value to any system used for general computing and other things. :) I personally am pretty happy with that it did with my laptop.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

WD Blue SSHD is indeed still in pre-order phase. You could opt for big online vendors or the WD store, if the shi[[ing cost isn't too much and it it's available at all. :) Otherwise I believe WD Black2 can bring a lot of value to any system used for general computing and other things. :) I personally am pretty happy with that it did with my laptop.

Captain_WD.

Well it does seem to give me everything without compromises, and if this desktop of mine is any indicator (240GB SSD with 38GB used, and a 1TB HDD with 369GB used), the capacity is plenty. Though being what it is I'm not sure how well it would work in my laptop. Its rated for HDD up to 1TB, and if this laptop is like another laptop from the same manufacturer that I upgraded, it will work with the drive, but not particularly well (constant issues with files corrupting, random crashes etc, downgrading from a 1TB HDD (500GB original) to, the recommended 750GB HDD solved the issues-and the 1TB runs with no issues in a caddy).

PMSL

Well it does seem to give me everything without compromises, and if this desktop of mine is any indicator (240GB SSD with 38GB used, and a 1TB HDD with 369GB used), the capacity is plenty. Though being what it is I'm not sure how well it would work in my laptop. Its rated for HDD up to 1TB, and if this laptop is like another laptop from the same manufacturer that I upgraded, it will work with the drive, but not particularly well (constant issues with files corrupting, random crashes etc, downgrading from a 1TB HDD (500GB original) to, the recommended 750GB HDD solved the issues-and the 1TB runs with no issues in a caddy).

I'd contact the manufacturer and ask specifically for that drive if it can cause problems and if it's safe to use inside the laptop. It should work fine, but since you've had bad experience with larger mobile drive I'd contact the manufacturer before purchasing anything and asking if and what problems can occur when using larger drives and, more importantly, why are they occurring. :)

Captain_WD.