Hobbyist OS development.

Hi there, many of you might not know, that in addition to these big, consumer-grade OS's, theres a whole world of people, dedicated enough to build their own kernels, and operating systems, And I'm not talking about any old Linux distros here, no - the only thing most of these OS's have in common with Linux is the POSIX standard and a few ported programs such as bash. Nothing else. This marvelous world lives on the OSdev forum and wiki. Go check us out, It's pretty amazing stuff.

I'd now like to bring out a few of the best hobbyist OS's, here they are:

And to end, my own OS: OS Zin, https://github.com/makerimages/OSZin

Java and fullstack web developer (JS). PM if you need major critical level support.

Beginners, please learn to debug your programs! --- If you're posting code, please use code tags!

Interesting, I am developer but my... confort zone is after de OS xD but is very interesting, I will give a watch. Thanks

I'm from Spain so English is not my main language but I'm trying to make my best not writing any typo.

*sigh* why can't I freeze time.......I have to add this to the Stack of "awesome stuff I would love to toy around with but dont have time for" :(

Hi there, many of you might not know, that in addition to these big, consumer-grade OS's, theres a whole world of people, dedicated enough to build their own kernels, and operating systems, And I'm not talking about any old Linux distros here, no - the only thing most of these OS's have in common with Linux is the POSIX standard and a few ported programs such as bash. Nothing else. This marvelous world lives on the OSdev forum and wiki. Go check us out, It's pretty amazing stuff.

I'd now like to bring out a few of the best hobbyist OS's, here they are:

And to end, my own OS: OS Zin, https://github.com/makerimages/OSZin

Could i boot OS Zin up somehow? I am a somekind of dev but not that smart enough.

Found it on the wiki i guess. http://wiki.osdev.org/Diskless_Booting

The Estonian Geek. 

Could i boot OS Zin up somehow? I am a somekind of dev but not that smart enough.

Found it on the wiki i guess. http://wiki.osdev.org/Diskless_Booting

WRONG there, lad :). The instructions for getting a bootable .iso of OS Zin can be found at:

https://github.com/makerimages/OSZin/wiki/Building-and-Testing

Java and fullstack web developer (JS). PM if you need major critical level support.

Beginners, please learn to debug your programs! --- If you're posting code, please use code tags!

Thanks! :P Gotta get Linux too then fired up on a VM.

You do so :D I recommend a 32bit build of Ubuntu or it's derivative (I'm using elementary OS myself).

You do so :D I recommend a 32bit build of Ubuntu or it's derivative (I'm using elementary OS myself).

:o elementary 0.3? Used it too a bit. 

The Estonian Geek. 

Building your own operating system sounds fun :P Also YellowDragon don't freeze time you can make your own linux setup with a few spare hours and linuxfromscratch.org

• 2 weeks later...

Also YellowDragon don't freeze time you can make your own linux setup with a few spare hours and linuxfromscratch.org

I'm pretty sure YellowDragon meant to play around with hobbyist OS's, which are nothing like linuxfromscratch. Yeah, you build LFS from source code, but it's basically a distro-maker- everyone else has made the things. Once again - Hobbyist OS's, in the osdev.org sense, are NOT LINUX DISTROS. They are, instead, complete self-standing systems, coded (yes, by actually writing all the code) from scratch (mostly, there are a few get-going tutorials on the osdev wiki, to get the thing to boot). If these systems resemble anything Linux, it's either: a) Using the POSIX standard b) File system layout or c) Ported software. 

On the other side: mr. Lange just released a liveCD of his toaruOS, available here. And I'm working on Paging (Virtual memory).