4K gaming , Graphics card

Hi everyone , i am building my first rig , its one of linus's build , the 4k gaming rig, however i decided to change the 2 GTX 780 ti to 1 GTX 980 ti, is 1 gtx 980 ti better than 2 gtx 780 ti ? 

Whats the difference between running 1 grpahics and 2 graphics card ? 

1 graphics card is better. 980ti is good.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

1 graphics card is better. 980ti is good.

Uh. dude? Pure power-wise, SLI 780 ti beats a 980 ti by about 40% assuming not crappy SLI scaling. Only issue would be some games like GTA V might not like the 3GB of VRAM. For most games, sli 780 ti would be better especially if you overclock because 700 series overclocks a lot better than 900 series. 

Hi everyone , i am building my first rig , its one of linus's build , the 4k gaming rig, however i decided to change the 2 GTX 780 ti to 1 GTX 980 ti, is 1 gtx 980 ti better than 2 gtx 780 ti ? 

1 card. No hassles with SLi, less power required. and an actual 6GB of VRAM. I think I've made my bias known here.

If you can get 2 780Ti's for less than a single 980Ti then it is still an option, just be aware some games will have issues running in SLi, and you will be stuck with single card performance if there isn't a profile for it.

I might have the power requirements wrong, but I think the difference between pushing a maxwell card to the limit, and pushing two of it's older brother hard will make up the difference.

980TI will perform abuot the same as SLI 780tis in many games and will work better in games that dont support SLI

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/zotac_geforce_gtx_980_ti_amp_extreme_review,24.html

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

thanks everyone for their advice , but what is the purpose of using 2 graphic cards in SLI ? vs 1 ? 

thanks everyone for their advice , but what is the purpose of using 2 graphic cards in SLI ? vs 1 ? 

Running SLi of two cheaper cards might match or better the performance of the more expensive card for less money. Or you had one of the cheaper card allready, and buying one more is far cheaper than scrapping it and upgrading.

Also what ^said.

Some games dont support SLI very well, meaning you would either need to change a lot of settings or disable SLI for that game and use only 1 card. 2-way SLI means somewhat higher temperatures and higher power consumption.

4K gaming will likely need the extra RAM the 980ti provides, plus the reduced complexity (and potential issues surrounding SLI) of single card config makes it an easy winner.

I'm currently 4K gaming on a single 6GB 780 and it really struggles, but it already utilises more than 3GB of RAM, so higher quality textures will push this use higher.

I'm actually planning SLI 980ti for my 4K setup (waiting waiting waiting on stock).

This is a potential upgrade path for you down the line should you want more graphical power.

Uh. dude? Pure power-wise, SLI 780 ti beats a 980 ti by about 40% assuming not crappy SLI scaling. Only issue would be some games like GTA V might not like the 3GB of VRAM. For most games, sli 780 ti would be better especially if you overclock because 700 series overclocks a lot better than 900 series. 

uh dude we are talking about 4k here. 3gb of vram IS NOT enough. Even today it's on the limit.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

uh dude we are talking about 4k here. 3gb of vram IS NOT enough. Even today it's on the limit.

Most of the games people play are actually not demanding though. Unless you play every newest modern title, you don't need more than 3GB.

Pretty sure with such an expensive rig he's intending to play the latest games!

Build Log : Red N White Army

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

Palit 980 Ti Super Jetstream

16GB HyperX Savage 1866 RAM

Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

Thanks guys for all your opinions , i guess i will go with 1 GTX 980 ti, since its the most cost efficient . as getting 2 gtx 780 ti will cost 400SGD more than 1 gtx 980 ti.

It ain't great, but my 280x still pushes 30-40 fps on mixed settings for most titles.

Fury X or 980ti OR if you feel bold and want to waste money Titan X.

Fury X does pull ahead in 4K

980ti for really retarded reason beats a Fury X in lower resolutions (Which is weird...)

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

Fury X or 980ti OR if you feel bold and want to waste money Titan X.

Fury X does pull ahead in 4K

980ti for really retarded reason beats a Fury X in lower resolutions (Which is weird...)

fury x does not pull ahead in 4K, it pulls ahead at stock speeds, 980ti overclocks incredibly well and does win.

Spoiler

No they don't that is stock speeds. And comparing launch day performance means nothing just that Nvidia worked on drivers.

Spoiler

Nonsense, 40%? more like 10% at most and that is only in games without heavy tessellation, plus think of the power, and the heat! 

It would be madness to buy SLI 780ti's, not enough VRAM, weaker performance in heavy tessellation games, higher power consumption, more heat, less support for dx12.

Just for confirmation, 3dmark scores for dual 780ti's in fire strike ultra lag behind 970's by 600 points with identical CPU's this is about the same as performance gap to 980ti- approx-10%

MY RIG- I call it the millennium falcon “she doesn’t look like much but she’s got it where it counts kid”

CoolerMaster HAFX, ASUS Maximus Ranger vii, Intel i-5 4690k @4.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, Reference GTX1080, 480GB SSD, Corsair RM850W. . Cooling- Corsair H60 w Noctua NF-F12, EK DBay res/pump combo, EK-FC1080FE block, 360mm radiator, 3x Noctua industrial 2000rpm fans. . Displays- LGOLED55B7V, ACER KG241. Peripherals- Corsair M65, Roccat RYOS MK-PRO, Logitech G633, Logitech G920

Nonsense, 40%? more like 10% at most and that is only in games without heavy tessellation, plus think of the power, and the heat! 

It would be madness to buy SLI 780ti's, not enough VRAM, weaker performance in heavy tessellation games, higher power consumption, more heat, less support for dx12.

Just for confirmation, 3dmark scores for dual 780ti's in fire strike ultra lag behind 970's by 600 points with identical CPU's this is about the same as performance gap to 980ti- approx-10%

That's only because people are stupid and don't overclock properly. Kepler overclocks better than Maxwell. There will be more heat but if you get them cheap enough, it's worth it. A 780 ti at 1250mhz is about the performance of a gtx 980 at 1500mhz. Just check out Linus' benchmark on it. I've gotten 780 tis to way higher than 1250 as well. If you get them cheap, 780 tis are definitely worth it. Also 3dmark score really doesn't mean much. 

Thanks guys for all your opinions , i guess i will go with 1 GTX 980 ti, since its the most cost efficient . as getting 2 gtx 780 ti will cost 400SGD more than 1 gtx 980 ti.

Oh yeah if 2 780 tis cost more, then definitely go for the 980 ti. 

That's only because people are stupid and don't overclock properly. Kepler overclocks better than Maxwell. There will be more heat but if you get them cheap enough, it's worth it. A 780 ti at 1250mhz is about the performance of a gtx 980 at 1500mhz. Just check out Linus' benchmark on it. I've gotten 780 tis to way higher than 1250 as well. If you get them cheap, 780 tis are definitely worth it. Also 3dmark score really doesn't mean much. 

Not enough VRAM for 4k, and heavy tessellation use is more likely the culprit rather than all the people using 3dmark with 780ti's not knowing how to overclock. But I will agree to disagree, I don't want to be rude to the OP by starting a debate in his thread.

OP should go with 980ti for 4k

MY RIG- I call it the millennium falcon “she doesn’t look like much but she’s got it where it counts kid”

CoolerMaster HAFX, ASUS Maximus Ranger vii, Intel i-5 4690k @4.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, Reference GTX1080, 480GB SSD, Corsair RM850W. . Cooling- Corsair H60 w Noctua NF-F12, EK DBay res/pump combo, EK-FC1080FE block, 360mm radiator, 3x Noctua industrial 2000rpm fans. . Displays- LGOLED55B7V, ACER KG241. Peripherals- Corsair M65, Roccat RYOS MK-PRO, Logitech G633, Logitech G920

2 would be better if you can afford it :P

No they don't that is stock speeds. And comparing launch day performance means nothing just that Nvidia worked on drivers.

Exactly, if thats JUST stock speeds wait until the Fury X is fully unlocked driver side...Stock speeds do matter regardless as it can determine the outcome of future overclocks bar the Silicone Lottery.

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.