Looking for "the best" aftermarket 980 ti

A Troubled Man

Hello.

So, I am upgrading my graphics card from a 780 ti to a 980 ti.

At the moment, I am using a Gigabyte GTX 780 ti GHz Edition, possibly "the best" after market 780 ti avaliable at its time.

But I am confuzzled on the new 980 ti aftermarket cards, there's so many to choose from now :S

I've been looking at the EVGA Hybrid as it's a liquid cooled card (which would be great for lower temps).

I am looking for something that is a great overclocker, can get a low GPU temperature and just all around "the best".

Any advice would be very appreciated!

Well if you want an air cooled card I would recommend the G1 gaming from gigabyte but the EVGA Hybrid is also an excellent option both overclock like a dream  :)

[ Rig: CPU: 4930K, GPU: EVGA 780TI SC x2, RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Mobo: ASUS P9 X79 LE, Storage: 120GB Samsung EVO + 2TB Seagate Barracuda, PSU: Corsair RM1000 ]

980 ti classified.

Anyone recommending the G1 is lost, the classy has so much more to offer.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Don't buy any that are more than 50$ more expensive than reference, it doesn't make a lot of sense. It's better to save up for a future upgrade since there isn't that much difference (unless you're a hardcore overclocker or want a custom loop).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Look at the new Zotac 980 Ti Amp....wow. Looks beastly. I'd have to hear those 3 fans running though to see how loud they get. I've heard the Gigabyte card and it gets much too loud for my tastes.

No custom loops for me.

I'm trying to avoid them for as long as possible.

Does anyone know what the G1 is like for when it comes to adding a liquid cooler to it?

I've been thinking about doing this for a while on my 780 ti, but wanted to get the 900 series before I do it.

EVGA Hybrid or Inno3D Hybrid.

Most likely EVGA though.

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

I'll wait for the 980ti lightning to come out ;)

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

What's the Inno3D 980 ti 4X Air Boss Ultra like when it comes to overclocking?

It has a huge heatsink so I assume that it'll be good for when it comes to cooling the card.

I'd go with MSI Gaming/EVGA Classified/G1 Gaming (you can't overvolt right now so OC'ing is very limited)

I'd go with MSI Gaming/EVGA Classified/G1 Gaming (you can't overvolt right now so OC'ing is very limited)

The classified will do 1.3 volts out of the box with precision X with no modifications at all.

Once the classified controller software gets updated, 1.65 volts for gpu and 1.8 for memory will be available

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

The msi gaming is the quietest of the non-hybrid cards and is cheaper than most others. It also overclocks on par with the g1 gaming and evga hybrid as all three are limited (relatively speaking. They still overclock like champs) by voltage and not by thermals.

The classified is the first higher voltage card I am aware of. But I personally think it looks like shit.

The hybrid is by far the coolest.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I'm about to buy a 980ti but am somewhat overwhelmed by all of the choices. Can someone help me decide?

Im thinking of either:

• Gigabyte Gaming G1
  • EVGA Classified
  • MSI Gaming
  • Galax HOF

I'm going to be using it for 3440x1440 gaming. I definitely want to overclock, so a custom pcb is a must. I really like the HOF's aesthetics.

How do all of these cards compare? Which should I get?

Hello.

So, I am upgrading my graphics card from a 780 ti to a 980 ti.

At the moment, I am using a Gigabyte GTX 780 ti GHz Edition, possibly "the best" after market 780 ti avaliable at its time.

But I am confuzzled on the new 980 ti aftermarket cards, there's so many to choose from now :S

I've been looking at the EVGA Hybrid as it's a liquid cooled card (which would be great for lower temps).

I am looking for something that is a great overclocker, can get a low GPU temperature and just all around "the best".

Any advice would be very appreciated!

If you want the "BEST" then simply get a reference design and put a full waterblock on it.  

Barring that, you can use corsair's bracket (or NZXT's bracket) and put an AIO on it instead.  

This will give you temps that are fantastic and should allow for the best overclocking. 

That being said, there are reasons why the manufacturers sell their own designs - better VRM solutions, better binned chips and you're likely to get a beastly overclocking card with one of their "high end" solutions than their "low end" reference designs.  Again however, it comes down to the silicon lottery and that's why even reviewers will have completely different results from one to the next, and certainly even from what you can expect with your card.

@TechBenchTV

Ex-NCIX Tech Tips Producer.  Linus hates my scripts. 

Volts on the Classified don't mean crap unless you put it under water. I have two 980 Classy's right now. Not worth the asking price unless you water cool. The ti variant is a better option because it isn't 100 dollars more than a reference card unlike the 980 model at launch.  It all depends on the asic quality to be honest and the classy's don't guarantee great asic quality. No matter how much voltage you push through a chip, if the chip is garbage it won't go any further. EVGA has AMAZING warranty service and customer support so there is that. My experience with MSI was horrible in comparison to EVGA.

980 ti classified.

Anyone recommending the G1 is lost, the classy has so much more to offer.

Is this true if you're just on air cooling though? 

Is this true if you're just on air cooling though? 

There's so many more things the classy does, voltage monitoring + THREE bios chips, as well as way way more phases.

not to mention you get access to memory voltage, PCI-E voltage, and much more voltage to the GPU core itself.

THREE bios chips

And I'm sold to the Classified 980 ti.

Thank you very much.

I just bought Zotac's amp! Extreme. I'll let you know how it performs. Seems as if sites are giving it high praise. Guru3D gave it an editor's choice. 0.o

I'm going to punch your face- IN THE FACE.

Volts on the Classified don't mean crap unless you put it under water. I have two 980 Classy's right now. Not worth the asking price unless you water cool. The ti variant is a better option because it isn't 100 dollars more than a reference card unlike the 980 model at launch.  It all depends on the asic quality to be honest and the classy's don't guarantee great asic quality. No matter how much voltage you push through a chip, if the chip is garbage it won't go any further. EVGA has AMAZING warranty service and customer support so there is that. My experience with MSI was horrible in comparison to EVGA.

I have been looking for someone who owns a 980 Classified.  Did the height give you trouble fitting it in your case, also what case do you have?

If you could you take and post a couple of pics showing the clearance to the side panel I'd really appreciate it  (hopefully its a windowed case) .

Thanks

Good news everyone!

I've ordered off the EVGA 980 ti Classified Edition!

I have been looking for someone who owns a 980 Classified.  Did the height give you trouble fitting it in your case, also what case do you have?

If you could you take and post a couple of pics showing the clearance to the side panel I'd really appreciate it  (hopefully its a windowed case) .

Thanks

My case is the 780t by Corsair.  The card sticks out roughly 1" more than a typical card. It SUCKS to take the card in and out of the case though. Hopefully this gives you an idea, if not let me know.

post-6286-0-65147100-1435942397_thumb.jp

post-6286-0-92032600-1435942404_thumb.jp

My case is the 780t by Corsair.  The card sticks out roughly 1" more than a typical card. It SUCKS to take the card in and out of the case though. Hopefully this gives you an idea, if not let me know.

Thank you very much.  You seem to have a bout 20mm between the case side panel and the cables.  Is that about right?

Your case lists 170mm CPU clearance for height (no listing for GPU height), I am looking at getting this case:

http://www.cooltek.de/en/jonsbo-powered-by-cooltek/w-series/131/w2

Which lists 163mm CPU cooler height clearance.  This is 7mm less than yours.  Do you think at 7mm less it would still fit?

Thanks