Facebook becomes serious competitor of youtube

jos

I use facebook more than I use this forum  :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Ke?

The lack of competency of the person who wrote this article is way to obvious.

Discoverability of videos on Facebook is close to 0 and that's the main thing that matters. Google will not promote competition in search results. There's no information about the AD coverage on those videos. 55% from 0$ is still 0$. Amount of active Facebook users in 1st world countries is dropping, not rising, and has been for many years. The most valuable group of AD receivers - middle class, educated 24-49, are limiting their FB usage ever since every damned company out there started monitoring FB. Also you can't use FB without logging in, making it even less desirable in many developing countries.

The amount of app downloads is irrelevant, especially since it counts full updates as downloads and FB app is default on almost any device nowadays. Even if it was genuine downloads, it has zero connection to video visibility etc.

lol facebook, thing is there are more stupid people out there than good people, so they use facebook which makes more revenue and hits, but no facebook is not better than youtube just because they have more stupids clicking their shit 

ugh. Only reason I still use Facebook is to keep in touch with friends and family. Barely use it for anything these days

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

who uses Facebook?

Your mom, your dad, your uncle, many of your teachers. See this is difficult to understand for us since Facebook is not pitching this to young people that are tech saavy, that will remain youtube's domain. Facebook however is huge with the casual crowd. Nearly every middle class middle age adult I know actively plays candy crush, uses Facebook to share family fotos, etc.

So you won't get a bunch of screaming let's player and epic meal time type videos on it, it has the potential to become more of a bigger business by traditional channels I wouldn't be surprised if daytime tv stuff eventually moves or gets overtaken by Facebook videos.

-------

Current Rig

-------

ugh. Only reason I still use Facebook is to keep in touch with friends and family. Barely use it for anything these days

That used to be my only reason, but then I realized that if I actually had any interest in keeping in touch with those people then it wouldn't be through Facebook.  I deleted my account years ago and nothing has changed for me.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

Anyone tech savvy knows (or at least they should know) that facebook spies on everything you do, in a way as bad as, if not worse than google, so....I don't see the point of a Linus Tech Tips facebook channel.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I've never even used facebook before, don't plan on starting.

Ke?

The lack of competency of the person who wrote this article is way to obvious.

Discoverability of videos on Facebook is close to 0 and that's the main thing that matters. Google will not promote competition in search results. There's no information about the AD coverage on those videos. 55% from 0$ is still 0$. Amount of active Facebook users in 1st world countries is dropping, not rising, and has been for many years. The most valuable group of AD receivers - middle class, educated 24-49, are limiting their FB usage ever since every damned company out there started monitoring FB. Also you can't use FB without logging in, making it even less desirable in many developing countries.

The amount of app downloads is irrelevant, especially since it counts full updates as downloads and FB app is default on almost any device nowadays. Even if it was genuine downloads, it has zero connection to video visibility etc.

I disagree. I do understand your point, however you are severely underestimating the incredible large and incredibly detail amount of information Facebook knows about you already. Sadly yes, even if you don't have an account they probably know who you are, where you live, what you like etc. Just because of extended family members and friends having accounts and such it can be extrapolated.

Think of how Google can get scarey accurate with suggestions and such and Facebook is potentially WAY better at that. The trick is that you don't need to discover anything, Facebook will just guess and put a video in front of you and they will probably be pretty fucking accurate at the type of video the user would search for anyway.

-------

Current Rig

-------

~snipz~

I actually talk very frequently with relatives that are overseas and aren't very tech-savy. I'd talk to them on skype or on the phone but international calls are expensive AF and they (mostly) don't know how to skype :<

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I use it because it is the most convenient way of staying in touch with my family and friends back home.

People who say who uses Facebook like did they even look at the chart in OP ??

I will make it clear to who uses Facebook.

A LOT OF PEOPLE USE FACEBOOOK

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

What the hell? Asking the question " Who uses facebook"?

Well let me answer. I do,(actually I only have an account that I will delete soon, but if you have an account you count as using it) my mom does, my dad does, every single student in my class does and a huge majority of teens here do.

The sad thing is that they're using Facebook to share their "strech your lips so you look better with filter x" photos and to play games and to share "quotes" that have been shared a thousand times.

A bloody lot of people use Facebook.

(This post may sound a little harsh, please take no offense.)

facebook, serious? the only people that take Facebook serious are the ones that work there....

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

As much as YouTube BADLY needs legitimate competition (and hopefully die some day) the last company on earth I'd like to be the one to do it would be Facebook. I stopped using it and will not use it ever again.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Welp, moe money for moe ppl. However, I mostly use Facebook too keep in touch with those that only have me on Facebook. :/

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Oh, look at all the people coming to announce they don't have Facebook,. what a surprise...

Every.Single.Facebook.Thread

Shut up already

Facebook steals my info.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Facebook... one of the most used social media and suddenly in this forum people ask if people use it... 

I wanna be so cool, let me say "what is facebook", or "I don't even have an account" I am so cool now.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

I disagree. I do understand your point, however you are severely underestimating the incredible large and incredibly detail amount of information Facebook knows about you already. Sadly yes, even if you don't have an account they probably know who you are, where you live, what you like etc. Just because of extended family members and friends having accounts and such it can be extrapolated.

Think of how Google can get scarey accurate with suggestions and such and Facebook is potentially WAY better at that. The trick is that you don't need to discover anything, Facebook will just guess and put a video in front of you and they will probably be pretty fucking accurate at the type of video the user would search for anyway.

They would need to develop far better algorithms than google ever has, considering suggestion both me and my wife get on youtube, especially when logged in. I understand that google, for example, uses some form of missmatch to prevent the 'creep' factor, but something is not working for them :) I can only imagine FB's 'watch this vid, your uncle already has!' level or relevance. In the end we will see, but i'm highly sceptical

For all the people saying "who uses facebook".

I do, and a lot of people I know do.

Mainly to interact with my peers.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I'm still at Friendster.  :ph34r:

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack