Typing Slower on Mechanical Keyboard?

byalexandr

Hey guys!

So my Ducky Shine 3 TKL keyboard arrived today, the one I got for my birthday. I got it in the MX Blue variant with the red LED backlight, and I was wondering why I was typing slower. I am coming from a CM Storm Devastator Mouse/Keyboard combo, which is membrane, and yet I am typing slower on the mechanical keyboard and making a lot of mistakes. Is it just that the keyboard is new and I have to get used to typing on it? Or do I just need to start practicing touch typing? My average on my membrane was around 60 WPM (I know, not very fast) but now it is down almost to the 40 WPM range. Any ideas?

P.S. Loving the keyboard, though. Let me know if you guys want pictures.

When you first make the swap to mechanical you will be struggling a little bit. But give it some time, youll be even faster in no time at all! :D

This will especially apply to you with Blue Switches as these are more so specifically designed for typing.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

The more you use it the quicker you will get, the same goes for all keyboards and peripherals.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

When you first make the swap to mechanical you will be struggling a little bit. But give it some time, youll be even faster in no time at all! :D

Thanks. I tried doing some exercises but it just wasn't really helping. It wasn't really much the speed, but the amount of mistakes I was making. I am really glad I got this keyboard, though. The difference is night and day.

I have the same keyboard just a different sku of it  :D  (MX Browns w/ blue back light) 

It's a great keyboard, probably wont even take you a weak to get used to it if you do some moderate typing, hope you enjoy it  :rolleyes:

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

It's just the different feeling.

Typing on reds was hard for me at first, and I've gotten used to it now. Though I still find it easier to type in membrane, since MX reds are so light ;p

This will especially apply to you with Blue Switches as these are more so specifically designed for typing.

This exactly. It's a very strange switch to make and even though it may feel better you'll be a tad bit slower at first just because you aren't used to it.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

This exactly. It's a very strange switch to make and even though it may feel better you'll be a tad bit slower at first just because you aren't used to it.

Ha, switch. No pun intended.

It's just the different feeling.

Typing on reds was hard for me at first, and I've gotten used to it now. Though I still find it easier to type in membrane, since MX reds are so light ;p

I have the same keyboard just a different sku of it  :D  (MX Browns w/ blue back light) 

It's a great keyboard, probably wont even take you a weak to get used to it if you do some moderate typing, hope you enjoy it  :rolleyes:

Give it time.

The more you use it the quicker you will get, the same goes for all keyboards and peripherals.

Thanks for all of the help, guys. I can feel the power surging through my fingertips. Lol

Blues are also way way way heavier than membrane keyboards... So that WILL slow you down until you get used to it.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Wow, when i got my quickfire Tk my wpm went from mid 40's to low 50's within the first hour of using it. Now after getting used to it (and practicing a lot)I consistently type over 70 wpm .

Hi.

Hey guys!

So my Ducky Shine 3 TKL keyboard arrived today, the one I got for my birthday. I got it in the MX Blue variant with the red LED backlight, and I was wondering why I was typing slower. I am coming from a CM Storm Devastator Mouse/Keyboard combo, which is membrane, and yet I am typing slower on the mechanical keyboard and making a lot of mistakes. Is it just that the keyboard is new and I have to get used to typing on it? Or do I just need to start practicing touch typing? My average on my membrane was around 60 WPM (I know, not very fast) but now it is down almost to the 40 WPM range. Any ideas?

The spacing and layout may be different - MX switches have a particular spacing and layout (mostly) which is why you can buy replacement keycaps.  Stick to it and your fingers will get used to the amount of force/pressure that you need and you will be faster in no time!

@TechBenchTV

Ex-NCIX Tech Tips Producer.  Linus hates my scripts. 

Like everybody else has said, you're not used to it yet. What's getting you is probably the increased travel time of the keys compared to a membrane keyboard.

Its not even a fact that you type faster on a mechanical keyboard don't know why you assumed you would instantly type faster. They are nicer (imo) but that doesnt translate to speed.

For some reason, I'm incredibly inaccurate with blue switches. I switched to a cherry brown keyboard, and my accuracy instantly went from about 60% to 85-95% (no joke)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

typing.com < I go there whenever I need to get used to a keyboard.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Hey guys!

I used to play a sh*tty Korean game called Elsword (https://youtu.be/5o9eQ6TOYro) AndThisWasBeforeIWasGood... the game, despite having incredible class imbalances (the reason I quit) had an almost untouchable skill-ceiling. The melee classes in-game heavily relied on mindgames and stepping using the arrow keys + z and x keys for attacks, and was incredibly timing based. The dexterity and speed of the greatest players was incredible. Some of the best players in the entire game even 'lubed up' their hands so they could move their hands a lot faster than normally. (https://youtu.be/c5aetXAH0Wo) The point is, it was a less well-known fact among the really good 'steppers' (people who can utilize the arrow keys to perform incredibly quick movements) that broken-in membrane or scissor switch keyboards were generally superior to any mechanical keyboards, because there was a very clear actuation point and a very broken in mechanical/scissor-switch keyboard required a bit less force than a mechanical one. It was also easier to slide your fingers to press down keys on low-profile keys that were level with eachother, and this created major stepping advantages and made some timing-based movements much easier.

So basically... Players who've played this game for a very long time have realized that this hunk of junk: (http://www.amazon.com/HP-H3C52AA-ABA-K1500-Keyboard/dp/B00E4TOWR0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1436189721&sr=8-2&keywords=HP+Keyboard) was the greatest keyboard out of them all.

Not this: (http://www.amazon.com/Das-Keyboard-Professional-Soft-Tactile/dp/B00JG01QTY/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1436189849&sr=1-2&keywords=Das+Keyboard)

TL;DR: Mechanical keyboards really don't give you an advantage or increase your WPM alone, and if you were expecting that, you're a sucker. They give you a generally more enjoyable typing experience and a more premium feel that lots of enthusiasts have come to enjoy. 

Figured I should update.

After a few days of owning this keyboard, the difference is night and day. I feel tears welling up when I attempt to type on a membrane keyboard because of how mushy it is. My WPM has increased to around the high 60-low 70 WPM range, and I'm still improving. This keyboard turns heads at work (lol) and I can honestly say it is the best purchase I've made in a long time. While the switches are heavier than a membrane keyboard, my fingers are used to typing on them now and they feel light and extremely tactile, and it greatly improved my typing speed. Thanks for all the help, guys, and thanks to the mechanical keyboard community for pestering me to get one for such a long time (they were right).