GTX 980 Ti SLI Bottleneck(?)

JMJenkins

Would a i7-4790k bottleneck 2 GTX 980 Ti's in SLI running on the Acer XB270HU?

No sir

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Well, you ask a simple question, you get a stupidly fast reply. What was that, 2 seconds after I posted it?

Would a i7-4790k bottleneck 2 GTX 980 Ti's in SLI running on the Acer XB270HU?

Nope. You would need 4 of those in SLI for it to be a bottleneck.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Thanks for the clarification man!

Actually that's wrong. 3 Titan X (which are almost the exact same thing) are bottlenecked by a 5960x @4,5 in JayzTwoCents's build. 

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

It really depends on the game. In Arma 3 that CPU might bottle neck the GPU, but mainly because the game is horridly optimized on the CPU.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD R7 5800X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO | Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO | Memory: G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 3200mhz 64GB | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra | PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w | OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | Games Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Media Drive: 2x WD Blue HDD 1TB in Raid 0 | Media Drive: 2x WD Black HDD 2TB in Raid 1 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q UHD | Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q WQHD

Actually that's wrong. 3 Titan X (which are almost the exact same thing) are bottlenecked by a 5960x @4,5 in JayzTwoCents's build. 

I remember watching that video, so this gets me slightly confused as I don't know the exact details.

Thanks for the clarification man!

Your Welcome

I remember watching that video, so this gets me slightly confused as I don't know the exact details.

That really depends on the Titan X overclock and the overclock of the 5960x. It has been shown several times that the 4790K overclocked performs better for gaming purposes.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Your Welcome

That really depends on the Titan X overclock and the overclock of the 5960x. It has been shown several times that the 4790K overclocked performs better for gaming purposes

What has been shown is that at stock the 4790k will do better than the 5960x at stock but that is because the 4790k's stock speed is 1 GHz higher than the 5960x's. It has also been shown that clock for clock a 5960x will beat a 4790k in games that can use more than 4 cores. (Logical versus Actual cores.) Also the OP did not specify that he wanted to overclock his CPU (yes I know. I think it's stupid too but there are lots of people  that do not like the idea of their stuff running outside of spec.) I am not saying that 980ti SLI will be bottlenecked by the 4790k (I'm running two Titan Xs with a 4790k @4,8 ) but one should overclock the 4790k to be on the save side. 

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

Buying a K series and not doing overclock?

Should have bought non-K and donated the rest to good charity or something.