EVGA GTX 960 4gb FTW or MSI GTX 960 4gb

Hey guys i was in the market for a new gpu and i decided to go with the gtx 960 but i can't decide between the evga ftw 4gb or msi 4gb. I know the FTW is a better overclocker but it costs more and i prefer the look of the msi 960.This is a questions to owners of these two cards, i have a 60hz monitor and i plan to use v-sync so im locked at 60 fps so any performance past that doesnt matter to me. I plan to overclock the card i get to at least 1500mhz, so with that overclock will i be able to run the following games at the stated settings while maintaining a constant 60 fps with the msi version while being stable without any crashes or will i have to get the FTW and overclock it a lot further?

Battlefield 4 ultra presets with 4x msaa

Farcry 4 High or Ultra presets with 4x msaa

Planetside 2 Ultra presets with 4x msaa

GTA 5 At least high settings with msaa on

Hey guys i was in the market for a new gpu and i decided to go with the gtx 960 but i can't decide between the evga ftw 4gb or msi 4gb. I know the FTW is a better overclocker but it costs more and i prefer the look of the msi 960.This is a questions to owners of these two cards, i have a 60hz monitor and i plan to use v-sync so im locked at 60 fps so any performance past that doesnt matter to me. I plan to overclock the card i get to at least 1500mhz, so with that overclock will i be able to run the following games at the stated settings while maintaining a constant 60 fps with the msi version while being stable without any crashes or will i have to get the FTW and overclock it a lot further?

Get a 970 or R9 290X - Problem solved.

The 960 has probably not even enough power to play those games at ultra, let alone 4xMSAA.

The 4GB variants are also pretty useless, unless you don't use them in SLI.

Also you can never predict how much of an overclock the card can reach. I might only oc to 1.2Ghz and then crash. 1.5 is quite a high overclock.

just get the one that best sutes your pc build there shouldn't be any problems with overclocking on the cards as long there is good cooling and air flow in your case

If you can't get the 970 line and $ dictates the 960 then get the MSI GTX gaming 960 4G . The twin frozr V cooler keeps the card super cool and quiet . The card overclocks beautifully as well . It's $ 239 at newegg right now .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127860

MSI Z97A Gaming7 , 4690k , 2 X MSI 960 4g , 500gb ssd , 7tb of WD hdd storage , EVGA 100G2 , Corsair h100i , 2 X 32" 1440p as I RMAd the 4k ones , CM quickfire .

NOW I'VE LOST IT I KNOW I CAN KILL . TRUTH IS HIDDEN BEYOND THE GATES  IT'S ALL DARKER THAN BLACK .

$400+ to get dual mid range cards... hmm... not the best choice. 

Agreed but he probably has a budget . Plus he never said he was going to sli .

MSI Z97A Gaming7 , 4690k , 2 X MSI 960 4g , 500gb ssd , 7tb of WD hdd storage , EVGA 100G2 , Corsair h100i , 2 X 32" 1440p as I RMAd the 4k ones , CM quickfire .

NOW I'VE LOST IT I KNOW I CAN KILL . TRUTH IS HIDDEN BEYOND THE GATES  IT'S ALL DARKER THAN BLACK .

Agreed but he probably has a budget

Yes, and a GTX 970 is cheaper.  So is a R9 390, or 290X.

Get a 970 or R9 290X - Problem solved.

The 960 has probably not even enough power to play those games at ultra, let alone 4xMSAA.

The 4GB variants are also pretty useless, unless you don't use them in SLI.

Also you can never predict how much of an overclock the card can reach. I might only oc to 1.2Ghz and then crash. 1.5 is quite a high overclock.

There are benchmarks that show some games get up to 20% boost in fps because of the extra ram.

If the extra 2gb is a matter of $30 I'd say go for it.

The next best card is the 970 which is about an extra $150.

Yes, and a GTX 970 is cheaper.  So is a R9 390, or 290X.

WHAT ? Those cards are not cheaper than the MSI 960 4g .

There are benchmarks that show some games get up to 20% boost in fps because of the extra ram.

If the extra 2gb is a matter of $30 I'd say go for it.

The next best card is the 970 which is about an extra $150.

Where do you live that you pay an extra of $150 to get a 970?  :blink: 

The cheapest 960 4GB costs here in Germany only ~ 220€ and the cheapest 970 costs ~ 310€

That's a 90€ ($100 US) difference and usually prices in Germany are a lot higher than in the USA for example.

WHAT ? Those cards are not cheaper than the MSI 960 4g .

Oh geez, I am sorry.  I thought he was looking to SLI.

Oh geez, I am sorry.  I thought he was looking to SLI.

lol no worries . I do that all the time . I'll missread the original post and post some wrong answer :P

Where do you live that you pay an extra of $150 to get a 970?  :blink: 

The cheapest 960 4GB costs here in Germany only ~ 220€ and the cheapest 970 costs ~ 310€

That's a 90€ ($100 US) difference and usually prices in Germany are a lot higher than in the USA for example.

Best price I've seen a 960 is $170.  Best price I've seen on a 970 is $330.  $150 difference.

Best price I've seen a 960 is $170.  Best price I've seen on a 970 is $330.  $150 difference.

Yeah, but we were talking about a 4GB 960, not a 2GB 960.

Yeah, but we were talking about a 4GB 960, not a 2GB 960.

The extra 2gb of memory will cost you an extra $20.  So we're still close to the $150 price gap.

Which is why I tend to agree with others who want to see a 960ti.  $150 is just too big of a gap.