Which CPU would be best?

Hi there!

I am building a new PC soon and I need some help deciding between CPU options. I will be gaming and recording at the same time (perhaps a facecam as well and streaming), video editing and rendering. I definitely am thinking of going with Intel and I have narrowed down the options to the i7 4790k, the i7 5930k and the i7 5960x. I know that x99 will have added costs due to mobos/DDR4 as well. Please give justification to your answers please and thanks so much!

5820k, it's a happy median between the 4790k and 5930k.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

4790K or 5820K.

With the 5820K you will of course need DDR4, but it is honestly not that much more expensive. You will also have 6 cores and HT.

4790K will do great too and you can go for DDR3, but 'only' 4 cores and 8 threads

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Depending on your budget, 4790k or 5820k. If you can afford the X99 platform then go with it. The Z97 platform maybe cheaper but it's no slouch either. It can keep pace in gaming but falls behind with editing/rendering.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

My only worry is that I will run out of cores/threads if I am gaming/recording gameplay and facecam/streaming at the same time. Will this be a problem? Also, I am hoping to SLI Titan Xs or 980 Tis, will the reduced PCIE lanes on the 4790k/5820k hinder performance?

Isn't the only difference between the 5820k and the 5930k the number PCIe lanes? The 5960X has a step up in the number of cores, and is going to be the best that's not a Xeon, if you have the money to throw at it.

My only worry is that I will run out of cores/threads if I am gaming/recording gameplay and facecam/streaming at the same time. Will this be a problem? Also, I am hoping to SLI Titan Xs or 980 Tis, will the reduced PCIE lanes on the 4790k/5820k hinder performance?

dont worry about PCI-E lanes, for anything like 2xSLI on those chipps also id go with the x99 because DDR4 isnt that much more expensive and it has its advantages, but DDR3 and z97 is still a good option!

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

dont worry about PCI-E lanes, for anything like 2xSLI on those chipps also id go with the x99 because DDR4 isnt that much more expensive and it has its advantages, but DDR3 and z97 is still a good option!

On the very,very odd chance I did 3 way SLI with a 5820k, would performance be decreased since it is only x8/x8/x8? Thanks

On the very,very odd chance I did 3 way SLI with a 5820k, would performance be decreased since it is only x8/x8/x8? Thanks

nope not really, also i think linus has a good video on this that someone will probably post because i cant find it right now

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Isn't the only difference between the 5820k and the 5930k the number PCIe lanes? The 5960X has a step up in the number of cores, and is going to be the best that's not a Xeon, if you have the money to throw at it.

For gaming it destroys Xeons. For rendering it can lag behind a bit but honestly you pay a premium with xeons most of the time for the ecc compatibility. You need 10 or 12 cores in a xeon for it to beat the 5960x due to the sheer difference in speed.

To the OP if you were considering getting a 5960x then maybe you should consider a 4790k on a Z97 instead and buy a second setup dedicated to streaming I know that makes things more complicated but it does have its advantages.

First off its cheaper. Second you have a better quality stream. You can pick up a cheap i3 or even an AMD APU to be honest and ensures that no matter how taxed your gaming rig is it doesn't interfere with the stream quality. Third unless you need to render and edit massive quantities of video on a daily basis you probably wont notice that big of a difference in editing and rendering.

As far a SLI goes you don't really have to worry about that. Going past 2 cards isn't recommended generally and 16 lanes is plenty to run them. Even the king of cards a fully enabled Titan X doesn't saturate 8 lanes. When you have 2 sli cards the lanes are switched to 8 lanes each when using a 4790k and this wont bottleneck anything.

If you are on a budget the best single solution is a 5820k. If you have tons of money or someone else is paying the 5960x does have noticeable advantages.