Asking for likes a little overboard?

Totallycasual

I always found it a little cheesy when people couldn't make it through a video without asking you to hit the like button, correct me if im wrong but LTT didn't do this in the past did they? I've always given the LTT channels videos a like in the past if i particularly liked the topic or something about but but now its always about teasing another video or finding some other excuse to have us hit the like button.

Do YouTubers get paid more for likes or can they charge more for advertising if they hit certain 'like' thresholds? If that's the case then i get it but i find it pretty annoying  :unsure:

More likes mean that youtube will put the video higher up when people search for them. I actually find Linus asking to be useful cause I often forget to like their videos.

[ Rig: CPU: 4930K, GPU: EVGA 780TI SC x2, RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Mobo: ASUS P9 X79 LE, Storage: 120GB Samsung EVO + 2TB Seagate Barracuda, PSU: Corsair RM1000 ]

The like-dislike ratio can also give some idea of your image in the community (even if it's not accurate)...

Reminding people to hit the like button increases the chances of those people remembering the channel

It's a marketing technique 

I always found it a little cheesy when people couldn't make it through a video without asking you to hit the like button, correct me if im wrong but LTT didn't do this in the past did they? I've always given the LTT channels videos a like in the past if i particularly liked the topic or something about but but now its always about teasing another video or finding some other excuse to have us hit the like button.

Do YouTubers get paid more for likes or can they charge more for advertising if they hit certain 'like' thresholds? If that's the case then i get it but i find it pretty annoying  :unsure:

If you like it then you like, feel neutral then you just leave it, or if you do not like it just dislike it.

Linus isn't going to be like "Oh man since we didn't hit x amount of likes we will not be releasing this video to the public!" . That would be suicidal and half of us 1.6M subscribers would probably unskrubscribe. 

You do have to remember that LMG do not have a fixed pay. They (probably) get payed by youtube, or from their sponsors. Setting up projects like Scrapyard wars, or reviewing things that were not sponsored by the company (AKA review unit) means cashing out on their own money.

More likes mean that youtube will put the video higher up when people search for them. I actually find Linus asking to be useful cause I often forget to like their videos.

Basically this in a nutshell. Help to bring LTT up higher, so that Linus can probably embark on more projects. 

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

They don't ask for upvotes only; they ask you to share your opinion on the video. they're giving you a choice.

I'll admit to having disliked the occasional video for reasons I can't remember. It's more of a measure of "How good are we doing in the eyes of the viewers", imo

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Its all good, i guess i just always though praise should come unsolicited but if there is some reason why likes help, i honestly just didn't know the mechanics behind what a like actually does to a video.  :)

Edit: Just for clarity i wasn't talking about the usual like it if you like it dislike it if you didn't thing that Linus always says, i mean the more recent if you want to see XXX video hit the like button etc etc.  

"Like the video if you liked it, dislike the video if you disliked it"

Gets the message across for me.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

I always found it a little cheesy when people couldn't make it through a video without asking you to hit the like button

I remember watching a video from Blunty3000 where he said he doesn't like asking people to like his videos because he feels his audience is smart enough to know if they like a video or not.

I suppose it's down to personal preference.

I like how Linus goes about asking for it, it's more necessary for him to do it since his channel is his job so every like matters.

I stopped doing it in my videos just to see if it made any difference and it didn't for me, but my channel isn't exactly big so it's probably not the best example lol

Well... I've pressed "Like button" maybe 4 times since I started using youtube (ages ago) *please don't kill me*

I've never really got used to do that and I don't even know why. I should change that.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

I never ask for likes and usually go ignored so..

AMD Phenom II B55 Quad / unlocked dual core 4.3ghz CB R15 = CB 422
XFX R9 390 8GB MY RIG: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MVwQsY
Fastest 7770 on LTT . 3rd Fastest Phenom II Quad on LTT

PCSX2 on AMD CPU? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/412377-pcsx2-emulator-4096x2160-amd-phenom-ii/#entry5550588