HTML5 Chat is Live on Twitch.tv

nixter1029

Since the dawn of the time, our users have yearned to connect to chat using HTML5 instead of Flash – we’re pleased to announce this is now a reality. HTML5 chat is rolling out today.

With our shiny new WebSockets chat implementation, you’ll experience:

• Speed: Chat loads nearly 4x faster on average
  • Efficiency: Chat uses fewer CPU resources, especially in busy chat rooms
  • The Future: This is a big step towards a complete HTML5 Twitch experience

To our users who don’t use a WebSockets-capable browser or prefer using IRC, don’t panicBasket! Older browsers that aren’t WebSockets-capable will still connect using Flash and our existing IRC support isn’t going anywhere.

What do I need to do to get HTML5 chat? Absolutely nothing. As long as you’re using a Websocket-capable browser, HTML5 will start working automatically. Please note that we’re gradually introducing HTML5 chat to everyone throughout the day, so if you haven’t seen it yet – don’t worry. It’s coming.

Source: http://blog.twitch.tv/2015/06/html5-chat-is-live/

Now we wait for the player itself to move over to html5. It's ridiculous how sometimes watching a stream uses more CPU than actually playing the game would. 

Ughh... tell me about it.

how long is the delay in the chat now?

HTID

Anyone know if using Better Twitch TV would have any effect on this new update?

4x the speed means 4x the dongers. ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

I'm not going on Twitch for a while -_-

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

I do notice a speed difference when loading chat.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Now we wait for the player itself to move over to html5. It's ridiculous how sometimes watching a stream uses more CPU than actually playing the game would. 

Seriously. If I'm playing a game while listening to a stream I have to make sure twitch isn't the active tab, otherwise whatever game I'm playing is super laggy.

Anyone know if using Better Twitch TV would have any effect on this new update?

if it does, they will fix it in less that a day, those guy patch the add on very fast, it took them only 2 days to fix it after the last major update to twitch, which pretty much broke everything that was third party

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Not gonna happen for a long time because ads. 

Tell me about it. My laptop gets so hot with the Flash player that I would use the /hls URL to watch in HTML5. To view the chat I have to open a separate popout window. So ghetto.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

streaming isn't quite there yet

What?

There's hitbox, and it can stream in 1080p60 just like twitch via html5 perfectly fine.

Not to mention Youtube does HTML5 streaming.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Not to mention Youtube does HTML5 streaming.

The last I checked, YouTube's streaming service was still highly reliant on Flash.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

so that is why my laptop ramps up the fans when watching twitch

I just plain don't use websites that only have the option to use flash player anymore... I don't want it on my machine although I do miss out on some things I guess.

Now please give us an HTML5 player. Don't care what the chat uses.

The last I checked, YouTube's streaming service was still highly reliant on Flash.

Meaning what?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

Good but, hurry up with player update. About time it receives an modern update.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Well, it's certainly a step in the right direction. I have a feeling that Twitch will suddenly start "finding" ways to improve now that YouTube could provide some beefy competition.

It'll be a nice day when Twitch has HTML5 for everything and when (if?) they manage to roll out more servers for viewers outside of the United States. Watching Twitch streams from Australia, New Zealand, or pretty much any other country that isn't the USA or Canada seems to be an exercise in futility. 

*EDIT: Looks like connecting to chat from New Zealand is still horrifically unreliable. This has been a problem since I moved here over a year ago. I've seen this issue across multiple systems, and across multiple ISPs, and heard complaints about it from multiple friends.

0TEEBwR.png

C'mon, Twitch, ya can do better than that. And don't you dare blame my Internet connection!

Edited by Kodiack

i7-5820K | GTX 980 Ti

Meaning what?

When I, for example, visit the Tech Talk stream, the video frame tells me that the video does not support the player (HTML5), and then quickly jumps to using Flash Player.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

When I, for example, visit the Tech Talk stream, the video frame tells me that the video does not support the player (HTML5), and then quickly jumps to using Flash Player.

I have no idea what tech talk is, and the channel that came up when I googled it had it's most recent video 3 years ago.....so I'd assume it's not that.

I do know however that I've watched at least 4-5 different channels stream on youtube multiple times and it was always in HTML5

Linus Sebastian said:

Finally, now let's get rid of those annoying kids and trolls and chat will be amazing. I especially hate those people that keep crying about CSGO skins they gamble when "their" team is losing.

And I guess that a full html5 Twitch is coming pretty soon then.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Why can't flash just freaking die...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)