SLI Question

Hey all, I have a question about SLI compatibility that I was hoping I could get some confirmation on. About a year ago, I built my first PC and went with an EVGA GTX 780 SC edition to start out with since it fit the budget the best at that time. Well about a month ago, I had a friend of mine sell me his GTX 780 FTW edition for $50, which is literally impossible to turn down, so of course I bought it. It's also an EVGA branded card, the only difference is that it's the FTW edition and my other card is a SC edition...so my question is would I still be able to run them in SLI? The SC edition has a default clock speed of 967MHz and the FTW edition has 980MHz if that means anything. I'd really appreciate an answer, so thanks in advance to anyone that answers! :)

CPU: Core i7 4790k - CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - GPU: Asus GTX 980Ti - Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming - Ram: 20GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Storage: ADATA 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD & WD 1TB HDD 7200RPM - PSU: NZXT Hale90 V2 1000W Gold+ - Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo Black Exterior/White Interior - Display: Samsung 29" Curved Ultra Wide - Keyboard & Mouse: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate & Roccat Tyon - Sound: Razer Kraken USB Headphones, Blue Yeti, Logitech z313 Speakers

It will work just fine as it's the same GPU. The FTW may slow down to the SC speeds, though.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

Hey all, I have a question about SLI compatibility that I was hoping I could get some confirmation on. About a year ago, I built my first PC and went with an EVGA GTX 780 SC edition to start out with since it fit the budget the best at that time. Well about a month ago, I had a friend of mine sell me his GTX 780 FTW edition for $50, which is literally impossible to turn down, so of course I bought it. It's also an EVGA branded card, the only difference is that it's the FTW edition and my other card is a SC edition...so my question is would I still be able to run them in SLI? The SC edition has a default clock speed of 967MHz and the FTW edition has 980MHz if that means anything. I'd really appreciate an answer, so thanks in advance to anyone that answers! :)

I believe everything must be the same to sli cards or at the very least it will downclock one of the cards to work. Also check the device ID's of the gpu's. If it has a different device ID it wont work in sli period. Had that issue when I had two 780 sc acx 6gb cards.

To check the Device ID number go to nvidia control panel then click on system information. From there scroll down in the menu that pops up till you see device ID.

MainRig- CPU: 4790k, RAM: 32gb 2400mhz, MOBO: Maximus Formula VII, COOLING: Full EK cooling, GPU: Titan X SLI, PSU: 1200w evga , STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 4TB hybrid CASE: 760T, EXTRAS: Sleeved cables

SecondRig- CPU:4690K, RAM: 16gb 1600mhz, MOBO: Maximus Gene VII, COOLING: H105, GPU: 970ftw, PSU: EVG650W,  STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 3TB, CASE: 540air 

Steam: pizzatime6 Plus two other pc rigs and a craptop.

As long as they are both 780s

GAMING RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5800X3D

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT

STORAGE: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 (Boot Drive) / 500GB Crucial SATA / 1TB WD HDD

CASE: Dimas Tech EasyBench V3.0

VR RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3

GPU: Zotac AMP! 2080 Super

STORAGE: 250GB ADATA SSD / 500GB WD Blue SSD / 1TB WD Blue HD

Ninja'd  :ph34r:

Haha, You posted that as I was typing. If only I could type faster than 40 WPM... :ph34r:  :P

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

As long as they are both 780s

And have the same device ID.

MainRig- CPU: 4790k, RAM: 32gb 2400mhz, MOBO: Maximus Formula VII, COOLING: Full EK cooling, GPU: Titan X SLI, PSU: 1200w evga , STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 4TB hybrid CASE: 760T, EXTRAS: Sleeved cables

SecondRig- CPU:4690K, RAM: 16gb 1600mhz, MOBO: Maximus Gene VII, COOLING: H105, GPU: 970ftw, PSU: EVG650W,  STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 3TB, CASE: 540air 

And have the same device ID.

Oh yeah  :P

GAMING RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5800X3D

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT

STORAGE: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 (Boot Drive) / 500GB Crucial SATA / 1TB WD HDD

CASE: Dimas Tech EasyBench V3.0

VR RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3

GPU: Zotac AMP! 2080 Super

STORAGE: 250GB ADATA SSD / 500GB WD Blue SSD / 1TB WD Blue HD

Oh yeah  :P

I was so pissed when I had to RMA my newer 780 becuase of this. Also a good reason to ask this before buying a used card for sli.

Itll work fine, gpu boost will lower the clocks of the FTW but because they are the same chip they will run perfectly fine. Its no different then when i tested my friends gtx 780 msi gaming edition with my own lightning edition 780 prior to buying the second 780, The faster card gets slowed down a bit to the clock speeds of the second card and in many cases once gpu boost activates in game they boost together.

Itll work fine, gpu boost will lower the clocks of the FTW but because they are the same chip they will run perfectly fine. Its no different then when i tested my friends gtx 780 msi gaming edition with my own lightning edition 780 prior to buying the second 780, The faster card gets slowed down a bit to the clock speeds of the second card and in many cases once gpu boost activates in game they boost together.

I wonder....Couldnt you overclock the second card to match the faster one instead? Not that 20mhz is a huge deal just wondering. Never got a chance to try it myself.

Thanks for all the replies - I just hooked it up and enabled SLI and everything is working fine, I ran a few benchmarks and I'm getting great performance. Played The Witcher 3 in SLI for about 15 minutes as well and was averaging 50FPS with everything on ultra. Only problem is the temperatures, even though I have the fan speed turned to 100% when I'm gaming on both cards.

CPU: Core i7 4790k - CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - GPU: Asus GTX 980Ti - Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming - Ram: 20GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Storage: ADATA 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD & WD 1TB HDD 7200RPM - PSU: NZXT Hale90 V2 1000W Gold+ - Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo Black Exterior/White Interior - Display: Samsung 29" Curved Ultra Wide - Keyboard & Mouse: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate & Roccat Tyon - Sound: Razer Kraken USB Headphones, Blue Yeti, Logitech z313 Speakers

Thanks for all the replies - I just hooked it up and enabled SLI and everything is working fine, I ran a few benchmarks and I'm getting great performance. Played The Witcher 3 in SLI for about 15 minutes as well and was averaging 50FPS with everything on ultra. Only problem is the temperatures, even though I have the fan speed turned to 100% when I'm gaming on both cards.

What are temps like?

Yes, they will run in SLI but the FTW card will downscale in MHz to match the slower card. You can always overclock the sc card to match the speeds.

Source.

I have a Titan X reference and Titan X SC in SLI.

Welcome to the forums.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I wonder....Couldnt you overclock the second card to match the faster one instead? Not that 20mhz is a huge deal just wondering. Never got a chance to try it myself.

Yeah, in msi afterburner (or whatever you opt to use) you have to de sync the cards. By default whatever the program is makes a point of trying to sync the boosts, fans etc which is why oc settings typically effect both cards. when de synced you can oc your boost, memory and control fans and voltage seperately for both cards.

That would be best. Overclocking the slower one plus 20mhz would be perfect. Any card can do +20mhz.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

What are temps like?

When I'm playing The Witcher 3 the main card gets up to 75-80C :/ Second card when gets to about 60-65C if I'm in SLI. Anything I could do to solve this? I have 5 case fans set up perfectly for my case for the best air flow, and I even turn the fan speed on both cards to 100% when I'm gaming just to help them cool down better. I know the temps could be worse, but I see alot of people that do benchmarks are getting like 50-65C on average when gaming, so mine seem pretty high. I know it's not hot enough to damage anything, because apparently the 780 is able to safely run until about 90C from what I've heard.

When I'm playing The Witcher 3 the main card gets up to 75-80C :/ Second card when gets to about 60-65C if I'm in SLI. Anything I could do to solve this? I have 5 case fans set up perfectly for my case for the best air flow, and I even turn the fan speed on both cards to 100% when I'm gaming just to help them cool down better. I know the temps could be worse, but I see alot of people that do benchmarks are getting like 50-65C on average when gaming, so mine seem pretty high. I know it's not hot enough to damage anything, because apparently the 780 is able to safely run until about 90C from what I've heard.

Honestly the top card is always going to run hotter then the bottom one. However this might also be because the game isnt using the second gpu at full load compared to the other one. Basically one card might be at 100% and the other running at 60%. Is there any way you can find out what the gpu useage is for the cards in game? If you don't know any software for this msi afterburner is a great tool to find this out.

I have a 780 ti in my mini-pc with its reference cooler running at 80C, And its fine as you said, The airflow between the cards is a bit starved, the only thing i can suggest to lower temps is getting a couple kraken g10's and 2 h55's and water cool the 2

What MHz does the top card run at when you are playing the game? What does the second card run at?

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Honestly the top card is always going to run hotter then the bottom one. However this might also be because the game isnt using the second gpu at full load compared to the other one. Basically one card might be at 100% and the other running at 60%. Is there any way you can find out what the gpu useage is for the cards in game? If you don't know any software for this msi afterburner is a great tool to find this out.

yeah I use Afterburner, it's a god send I'd be lost without it. Lately I've been monitoring my GPU usage and temps while playing witcher 3 cuz of how hard it makes both of my cards run, the second card never gets up to full load, the top card gets to about 90% full load while playing and about 75-80C while the second card gets around 60-65C. Both cards are not overclocked while I'm doing this, I put them both at default while testing them out. I'm currently overclocking both cards though and don't really see too much of a temperature difference when overclocking them like when overclocking my CPU.

I have a 780 ti in my mini-pc with its reference cooler running at 80C, And its fine as you said, The airflow between the cards is a bit starved, the only thing i can suggest to lower temps is getting a couple kraken g10's and 2 h55's and water cool the 2

I have NO experience with water cooling, but I'm willing to look into it some more. I've always wanted to give it a try anyway, it seems really fun. Only thing is being worried about leaking just like anyone else would be. How much do those cost a piece? In US dollars if possible.

I have NO experience with water cooling, but I'm willing to look into it some more. I've always wanted to give it a try anyway, it seems really fun. Only thing is being worried about leaking just like anyone else would be. How much do those cost a piece? In US dollars if possible.

Well, The thing i was talking about is using a water cooling braket with a All in one cooler, That has less chance of leaking, less hassle, and less money, and will cost you somewhere near $200

Parts list:

2 h55's $120

2 Corsair n780 brakets $80

A open loop water cooler will cost you somewhere near $350 but will need space in your case, but it will also have a CPU block, so all of your components are in one loop