Check my hard drive speed?

So since I got these 2 Hitachi HDD replacement for my Msi laptop I suspect they are slow as ****. On window 8.1 in task manager it always showed that the disk usage spikes to 100%.

Check CrystalDiskMark.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Hard Disk Sentinel is also good to check the health of your HDD's

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Laptop drives are usually slow 5400rpm drives

If your lappy can take two drives, and if financially possible, a 2.5" SSD + bigger capacity 2.5" 7200rpm storage would suit it well.

Would bring it up a huge notch.

If money is tight, throw an SSHD/Regular SSD in there by itself and it will bring new life to it.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Speedfan does that just as well, or if not, better.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Check CrystalDiskMark.

Laptop drives are usually slow 5400rpm drives

If your lappy can take two drives, and if financially possible, a 2.5" SSD + bigger capacity 2.5" 7200rpm storage would suit it well.

Would bring it up a huge notch.

If money is tight, throw an SSHD/Regular SSD in there by itself and it will bring new life to it.

I bet you they are slow as balls :) Check the first 2 values in Crystaldiskmark. Those are Read/Write. 

So these are my speeds on the C: and E: drive, both the same except for the E: drive that has nothing on it. I will definitely have to buy a new hard drive. 

ZGqtQ0Q.png

nsDRvus.png

So these are my speeds on the C: and E: drive, both the same except for the E: drive that has nothing on it. I will definitely have to buy a new hard drive. 

ZGqtQ0Q.png

nsDRvus.png

That's actually not even bad.

That's actually not even bad.

What??? Really? My lapotp is so slow and it's the HDD I'm sure. On Win 8.1 I can see the disk usage is always if not most of the time at 100%. Maybe it's a bug or something?

What??? Really? My lapotp is so slow and it's the HDD I'm sure. On Win 8.1 I can see the disk usage is always if not most of the time at 100%. Maybe it's a bug or something?

My laptop gets around 80-90 read, 60-70 write

My laptop gets around 80-90 read, 60-70 write

Ok well theres a problem somewhere. Opening a chrome webpage takes 7 seconds to load. When I star my PC, it takes around 10 mins before it starts to not lag and even then opening a program takes 10 seconds. I just formatted my computer. The only thing I can think about is that I did not install Intel Rapid storage technology, yet I doubt its that.

Ok well theres a problem somewhere. Opening a chrome webpage takes 7 seconds to load. When I star my PC, it takes around 10 mins before it starts to not lag and even then opening a program takes 10 seconds. I just formatted my computer. The only thing I can think about is that I did not install Intel Rapid storage technology, yet I doubt its that.

The first drive is the culprit IMO.

Speeds look MUCH like a bogged down 5400/7200RPM drive would get. But I hazard its 5400rpm used here.

The second drive looks accurate enough to say its a 7200rpm drive.

Replace your first drive with an SSD/SSHD and it will improve greatly over that it currently has.

/You should make sure though that proper drivers are installed for your device hardware, if this is NOT the case, it could very well lead to potential issues like this.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

The first drive is the culprit IMO.

Speeds look MUCH like a bogged down 5400/7200RPM drive would get. But I hazard its 5400rpm used here.

The second drive looks accurate enough to say its a 7200rpm drive.

Replace your first drive with an SSD/SSHD and it will improve greatly over that it currently has.

/You should make sure though that proper drivers are installed for your device hardware, if this is NOT the case, it could very well lead to potential issues like this.

All drivers are installed except for the Intel Rapid Storage Technology. When I installed that, my laptop looped Blue screen and had to re-install and format everything.

All drivers are installed except for the Intel Rapid Storage Technology. When I installed that, my laptop looped Blue screen and had to re-install and format everything.

My mums i5 laptop had a 5400rpm drive in there, capable of 100/60 (similar to yours) but it was DOG SLOW in most things...

It now has an SSD (Sata 2, not even S3) and its super responsive now like a Desktop+SSD type system.

Might be windows 8.1 I've been having the same problem on my desktop with my 7200 rpm drive. Might go back to windows 7

Might be windows 8.1 I've been having the same problem on my desktop with my 7200 rpm drive. Might go back to windows 7

More likely a bunch of software keeping your HDD busy...

7200rpm drives should be fast enough to not bog down too badly like a 5400rpm drive does...

And W7 itself won't be the cure, but a non-quick full format will,...and another OS of either W7/8.1 will do it some justice...

7200rpm drives should be fast enough to not bog down too badly like a 5400rpm drive does...

And W7 itself won't be the cure, but a non-quick full format will,...and another OS of either W7/8.1 will do it some justice...

I've been confused i'm on a brand new computer with 8.1 installed and it reads 13mb/s as 100% drive usage. Only thing slowing my games down and computer in general.

I have win 7.

But I mean, it's impossible. It won't be this slow. There is something wrong.

I've been confused i'm on a brand new computer with 8.1 installed and it reads 13mb/s as 100% drive usage. Only thing slowing my games down and computer in general.

13mb/s, FUCK THAT SHIT

I'd be replacing that drive pretty soon,...

Is it near full? Maybe thats why its dog slow and bloated with mass-tiny files.

Brand new PC drives are not that slow, something is either broken with the drive, or some software/bloatware is screwing with your read and writes.

I have win 7.

Does that mean you already tried going back to windows 7? That's what I was gonna try to do to mines, i'm completely out of ideas i've disabled services and all. Let me know if you find a fix i'll keep looking aswell.

13mb/s, FUCK THAT SHIT

Brand new PC's are not that slow, something is either broken with the drive, or some software is screwing with your read and writes.

Yea i'm lost it's my first pc build gonna try CrystalDiskMark aswell to see what that gives me.

Yea i'm lost it's my first pc build gonna try CrystalDiskMark aswell to see what that gives me.

AS-SSD gives a pretty accurate result of a hard workload, even for mechanical drives.

But if you already got Crystaldisk I'm sure thats fine its been years since I touched it.

13mb/s, FUCK THAT SHIT

Brand new PC drives are not that slow, something is either broken with the drive, or some software/bloatware is screwing with your read and writes.

I hit around 2mb/s and 100% usage....

I hit around 2mb/s and 100% usage....

Both of you guys..

How big is the C:\ you have,...How much free space is left?

Ever do a proper heavy defrag (not using Windows inbuilt one) but defrag software, it ACTUALLY works wonders if not done in a while...

Both of you guys..

How big is the C:\ you have,...How much free space is left?

Ever do a proper heavy defrag (not using Windows inbuilt one) but defrag software, it ACTUALLY works wonders if not done in a while...

1TB for me it's a brand new drive just put it in yesterday, crystaldisk mark shows that it should be fine : http://imgur.com/0bMb5Fl

Which is why i'm lost because its a brand new install of windows 8.1 and a brand new drive that appears to be good.