Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1240 v3 or i7 4790k

I'm going to use this for gaming as well as video creation on Adobe CS.

If you have another alternative to this then do post it.

Thanks

Thanks

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

Xeon 1231 v3.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

go with the 4790k 

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

Thanks

Save money by buying the xeon and spend more money on a gpu.

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

Thanks

If you are going to OC then the i7, otherwise the Xeon but I would go with the E3 1231

Cheers guys but the only issue with the i7 is it's price.

Get the Xeon E3 1231 V3. You will get maybe 2-4 FPS less in games due to lower clock speed but thats not a big deal. Unless you want to play with overclocking you should pick Xeon over i7 and save some money.

Isn't there a big difference ?

I would get the 1231V3 if the price is a lot lower and with it you can get a cheap mobo

Otherwise, at same prices, i7 all the way

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

Cheers guys but the only issue with the i7 is it's price.

Yeah, Xeons are perfectly capable of gaming. It'll be a tiny bit slower but you won't notice, my 1276 v3 works fine for everything I do.

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

The i7-4790k is the better CPU in every way other than a slightly higher TDP at stock, so if the price difference isn't an issue get that i7.

Explain to me the benefits of having the 4790K other than the ability to adjust the multiplier?

A 13.5% bump in clockspeed isn't significant?

No, it isn't. The gigahertz war ended a decade ago. Besides, that extra 13.5% raw performance means nothing when 1) it's a $100 difference and 2) I can overclock a xeon anyway if I feel like it.

No, it isn't. The gigahertz war ended a decade ago. Besides, that extra 13.5% raw performance means nothing when 1) it's a $100 difference and 2) I can overclock a xeon anyway if I feel like it.

A 13.5% difference means a lot if you're playing something CPU bound like Arma and if $100 doesn't mean a lot to you. I don't know why you're taking issue with me saying the 4790k is a better CPU than the 1241v3. I never said it was a better value for AAA gaming; it isn't, which is why I have a 1231v3 in my own system, as all games I play are GPU bound.

A 13.5% difference means a lot if you're playing something CPU bound like Arma and if $100 doesn't mean a lot to you. I don't know why you're taking issue with me saying the 4790k is a better CPU than the 1241v3. I never said it was a better value for AAA gaming; it isn't, which is why I have a 1231v3 in my own system, as all games I play are GPU bound.

I don't take issue with you saying that the 4790K is a better CPU, in one or two cases it is, perhaps. The issue I take is with you saying:

"The i7-4790k is the better CPU in every way other than a slightly higher TDP at stock", something that simply isn't true.

The one thing you put forward was a 500MHz boost clock, something the average person on this forum could match with a Xeon with an FSB bump and a voltage tweak. Not hard.

Whereas for the Xeon I can put forward ECC memory support (not really relevant), slightly lower TDP (which you mentioned), hugely lower price (which you also mentioned, funnily enough), and being put through a more thorough binning process. Xeons are workstation and server processors, they are supposed to handle enterprise-grade workloads and conditions, something that might not be relevant to the average gamer, but something which can greatly affect the longevity of a system. In any case, you'd be better off spending the $100 on a better graphics card, because that would affect your framerates in a CPU-bound game like Arma much more noticeably than a better CPU would.

I don't take issue with you saying that the 4790K is a better CPU, in one or two cases it is, perhaps. The issue I take is with you saying:

"The i7-4790k is the better CPU in every way other than a slightly higher TDP at stock", something that simply isn't true.

The one thing you put forward was a 500MHz boost clock, something the average person on this forum could match with a Xeon with an FSB bump and a voltage tweak. Not hard.

Whereas for the Xeon I can put forward ECC memory support (not really relevant), slightly lower TDP (which you mentioned), hugely lower price (which you also mentioned, funnily enough), and being put through a more thorough binning process. Xeons are workstation and server processors, they are supposed to handle enterprise-grade workloads and conditions, something that might not be relevant to the average gamer, but something which can greatly affect the longevity of a system. In any case, you'd be better off spending the $100 on a better graphics card, because that would affect your framerates in a CPU-bound game like Arma much more noticeably than a better CPU would.

You're right about the ECC, I forgot about that, but I don't buy that they're better binned than CPUs designed to run almost 1GHz higher clockspeeds. Price doesn't affect whether one CPU performs better than the other, I never said the 4790k was a better value. I don't get your point on Arma III, that game is straight CPU bound by per core performance and going from a $330 GTX 970 to a $430 R9 390x won't improve framerate nearly as much as a higher clockrate to improve per core performance would.

I don't get your point on Arma III, that game is straight CPU bound by per core performance and going from a $330 GTX 970 to a $430 R9 390x won't improve framerate nearly as much as a higher clockrate to improve per core performance would.

No, but I bet going from a $220 280X to a $320 290X would. Want benchmarks? :D

Xeon has no iGPU.

You cannot increase the multiplier on a Xeon

The price argument is nonsense if you are thinking about gaming as a 4690k is the obvious choice over an e3-1231v3

depending on workload you may have better performance with an overclocked 4690k than an e3-1231v3 - and obviously better performance with a 4790k

In response to OP I say get the 4790k, worth the difference in price. don't sacrifice budget from other components for it though.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

However you can easily increase the base clock therefore adding a little extra power which on some chips pulls it up to 4ghz.