best AMD cpu for media center pc (no dedicated video card)

I thought it was a little bulkie but if it what your looking for Congrats. :D

Also that board has 2 Msata slots NOT M.2 one 1x msata for a tiny wifi card and 1 16x msata for expansion or ssd. (according to the Amazon description.)

also I still recommend http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i34130t as it will be cooler under load and Quiet is your best friend for an HTPC.

the MB has a wifi card slot up near the cpu socket and then a m.2 for an ssd, but i just realized i have an extra 256gb 840evo that im not using.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RqxrQ7 i think this might be my build... i already have the MB, ram and ssd... just bought the case, just need the few extras to be up and running, no OC so stock cooler will be fine and honestly i dont even see the need for any case fans.

the MB has a wifi card slot up near the cpu socket and then a m.2 for an ssd, but i just realized i have an extra 256gb 840evo that im not using.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RqxrQ7 i think this might be my build... i already have the MB, ram and ssd... just bought the case, just need the few extras to be up and running, no OC so stock cooler will be fine and honestly i dont even see the need for any case fans.

The manual for that board says it has 1 x mSATA 3Gb/s connector not an m.2 they are not the same standard.

Edit: Never mind your using a full sized SSD anyway. 

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

ill also mention i already have a itx socket 1150 motherboard laying around. we have 3 other pcs in the house so we will be doing alot of network video streaming. i only plan to put in a single 120gb ssd for space. 

any thoughts on SMALL itx cases. 

If you do then grab an i3 and the Elite 110 is a good small case. :)

I'd still go either Celeron or Pentium for this. The Pentium G3258 has no problem with 4K 30fps, I tried that with my own HTPC

I'd still go either Celeron or Pentium for this. The Pentium G3258 has no problem with 4K 30fps, I tried that with my own HTPC

i actually have a g3258 cause that what i was using in my gaming pc before i upgraded to the 4790k i have now... i didnt know that had integraded graphics?????

i actually have a g3258 cause that what i was using in my gaming pc before i upgraded to the 4790k i have now... i didnt know that had integraded graphics?????

It has cut down intel HD  they its not as good as the intel HD 4400 on the i3 but it is not far behind; I couldn't find playback benches for it so I didn't recommend it, but since you have one you can try it and bet the better one later if it doesn't suit you.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

It's fine for HTPC use, and for hardware decoding for Steam In Home Streaming, which is what I use it for. Whether it would be fine for decoding 4K 60 fps videos, ehhh maybe not (who knows), but the HDMI 1.4 itself can only handle 30 fps and it was perfectly fine there from my playing around with it.

I got it because it was cheap, I wanted to mess around with overclocking it and that I could always just get an i3 if I had to, and it's given me no reason to even consider swapping it for an i3 since I've been using it.

It's fine for HTPC use, and for hardware decoding for Steam In Home Streaming, which is what I use it for. Whether it would be fine for decoding 4K 60 fps videos, ehhh maybe not (who knows), but the HDMI 1.4 itself can only handle 30 fps and it was perfectly fine there from my playing around with it.

I got it because it was cheap, I wanted to mess around with overclocking it and that I could always just get an i3 if I had to, and it's given me no reason to even consider swapping it for an i3 since I've been using it.

if you don't need the extra threads it is just better since the single thread performance scales so well with an overclock and the thing is so easy to overclock. Got mine last year on the 4th of July sale from newegg for 100 with Z97 board. In the right use case scenario it is unbeatable.

yea for movies which only play at 24fps roughly having more then 30fps is not needed. with the g3258 pcpartpicker says 97 watts lol smallest sfx psu from silverstone is 300w... im sure the psu will never get hot and the stock intel cpu cooler will be enough air flow for the mb cooling

Choosing i5-4690k will be better option for your requirement.

d1d0f6f566f4b4f8082b25d934a9d04c07d2d39c

yea for movies which only play at 24fps roughly having more then 30fps is not needed. with the g3258 pcpartpicker says 97 watts lol smallest sfx psu from silverstone is 300w... im sure the psu will never get hot and the stock intel cpu cooler will be enough air flow for the mb cooling

It's actually about right: those small and cheap PSUs tend to have many rails that add up to 300-400W. Mine has like 120W available for the CPU and then the rest for other peripherals and a GPU I'm not using.

if you don't need the extra threads it is just better since the single thread performance scales so well with an overclock and the thing is so easy to overclock. Got mine last year on the 4th of July sale from newegg for 100 with Z97 board. In the right use case scenario it is unbeatable.

Yeah, I got an MSI H81-E34 for like £30 and overclocked it to 4.5GHz. This is absolutely my go-to solution if anyone wants a office productivity PC now.

i3 4150

quiet low profile after market cooler...(a noctua would be best..but probably to expensive)

b85/h97 board

4gb ram (2x2)

400-500w good quality quiet psu

HTPC case (silverstone)

maybe a small ssd for the OS...if you want the htpc to boot fast

and a large 2-4tb hdd...western digital (or HGST)

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

ah ok.

Now, you might be better off with an i3 or i5 than something like an A10, but not sure

the A10 7850k, from a CPU perspective in GAMES, can match an i3 when both are running a equal dedicated GPU such as a R9 285. The i3 is slightly better by 5-9 FPS, but nothing major in most titles.

Now on intergrated graphics alone, only the 330 USD i5 5765c with Iris pro can beat or even match the 7850k on intergrated. It is not even a competition with existin i3, i5 and i7s when it comes to gaming on intergrated.

Also note that AMDs Kaveri chip has onboard H264 decoders built into the GPU part. So they are good to go for hardware accelerated videos, even for 1440p videos. 4k will be pushing ones luck.

Edit:

to those idiots suggesting I5s. stop being trolls. The 7850k + mobo costs 170 USD. At stock, with stock cooler, it will beat any i3, i5 and i7 in gaming and it will be between the i3 and i5 in video decoding and encoding (if CPU only, but Kaveri supports OpenCL accelerated decoding through its GPU drivers. Thus it can accelerate WAY past the existing i5s).

At 170 USD, you havent even been able to buy a SINGLE i5 (non locked or locked Haswell. Sandy Bridge/ivy bridge is at 7850k levels even on CPU encoding/decoding)

check this mini ITX / FM2+ WI-FI motherboard friend  ^_^ (i love it)

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaf2a88xnwifi

- - - -

this two MSI are also really cool  ;)

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-a88xiacv2

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-a88xiac

that's basically exactly what i have but the Intel socket.... only difference is my doesnt come with the wifi card built in.

that's basically exactly what i have but the Intel socket.... only difference is my doesnt come with the wifi card built in.

nice  :D

then... you really don't need a new motherboard, you can go for a i5 for the 1150 (4 cores = heaven)  B)

not sure how good will be is igpu, so i can not say much there, but i think the i5 will be fine ^_^

(skip the i3 and pentium)  <_<

nice  :D

then... you really don't need a new motherboard, you can go for a i5 for the 1150 (4 cores = heaven)  B)

not sure how good will be is igpu, so i can not say much there, but i think the i5 will be fine ^_^

(skip the i3 and pentium)  <_<

He never said he was gaming so why the fuck would he waste money on a i5

If he's going with an i3 he can actually get an i3 4330 which has slightly better igpu. But ofc costs more.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

like i said, im sticking with the g3258 FOR NOW... as i have one laying around.

cool, do you have any gpu on mind ? (the R9 270x is great)