73 degrees celcius after 10 mins in aida64 - 4790k

Hi guys,
I've been helping a friend with his build and we've just got to the stress testing. This is my first time stress testing with the 4790k so I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong or not. Basically, we ran aida 64 for about 10 min and his temps hovered between 72-73 degrees. Something to note as well is as soon as we started the test, temps kicked up to 70 degrees, hitting 69-70. I was wondering if this is normal for the 4790k chips? Idle and web browsing typically gets him 29-36 while gaming sat in between 45-52. I know the haswell chips generally are on the warm side, but I thought the refresh was suposed to reduce this heat? Any help or input I can get is much appreciated!

*Note that the CPU cooler being used is an H100i.

Oh yeah here are some screenshots of CPUZ and aida.

post-162850-0-07679400-1435689088.png

post-162850-0-31518700-1435689093.png

post-162850-0-63555600-1435689096.png

Current System Setup | Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D | CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @4.0GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) | Graphics Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X | SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250GB | HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair HX750W 80+ Gold | Display: Dell UltraSharp 24" U2414H | Headset: Tritton Kunai | Mouse: EtekCity Scroll X1 | Keyboard: Microsoft SideWinder X4 RED LED

Use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility only. All the other programs increase the risk of overvolting your CPU during the stress tests. I recommend that you read the following thread before overclocking:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

Those temps seem fine to me. You want to keep the maximum temperatures to 85 degrees and the average temperature should not exceed 78-80 degrees. Download HWINFO64 to monitor these stats.

With IETU, stress test for 8 hours after each change in settings to find stability.

BigDay

Board is running an enhanced boost table and 1.26V. Yeah, that will make a unmodded Haswell 70ish.

Ah, so if these are stock speeds will overcocking be pushing it?

Current System Setup | Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D | CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @4.0GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) | Graphics Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X | SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250GB | HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair HX750W 80+ Gold | Display: Dell UltraSharp 24" U2414H | Headset: Tritton Kunai | Mouse: EtekCity Scroll X1 | Keyboard: Microsoft SideWinder X4 RED LED

Give me the following stats please:

Core ratio

Cache ratio

Vcore

Vring

VCCIN or Processor Input Voltage

RAM frequency and voltage

What are your power saving features set to? i.e. C states, EIST, etc

Turbo boost enabled?

What are your individual cores set to?

BigDay

Give me the following stats please:

Core ratio

Cache ratio

Vcore

Vring

VCCIN or Processor Input Voltage

RAM frequency and voltage

What are your power saving features set to? i.e. C states, EIST, etc

Turbo boost enabled?

What are your individual cores set to?

Core ratio set to auto

Cache ratio set to auto

Vcore 1.088v (Auto)

Vring 1.184v (Auto)

VCCIN 1.792v (Auto)

RAM 9-9-9-24 @ 1600mhz 1.488v (Auto)

C state is set to auto

Turbo boost enabled

Core ratio set to auto

Cache ratio set to auto

Vcore 1.088v (Auto)

Vring 1.184v (Auto)

VCCIN 1.792v (Auto)

RAM 9-9-9-24 @ 1600mhz 1.488v (Auto)

C state is set to auto

Turbo boost enabled

Are you planning on overclocking this chip? I thought that's what you were doing, but I guess I was mistaken. All of those figures look fine as they are most likely the optimized defaults on the MOBO.

Those temperatures that came up seem totally fine for what you were running it at. However, I do NOT recommend that you use stress testing tools other than IETU when you test with your voltages on AUTO. IETU stress testing will not overvolt your vcore or vring when set to auto while the others may do so.

BigDay

Are you planning on overclocking this chip? I thought that's what you were doing, but I guess I was mistaken. All of those figures look fine as they are most likely the optimized defaults on the MOBO.

Those temperatures that came up seem totally fine for what you were running it at. However, I do NOT recommend that you use stress testing tools other than IETU when you test with your voltages on AUTO. IETU stress testing will not overvolt your vcore or vring when set to auto while the others may do so.

Ahaha, no not planning on overclocking, just  breaking in a friend's chip is all.

Ahaha, no not planning on overclocking, just  breaking in a friend's chip is all.

If he has an h100, he should overclock it. he's got a k series chip! overclock that sucker

BigDay

I'd agree those temps are not a problem, but maybe could be better. 

AIDA64 is way more intensive than pretty much any normal application/game the system is likely to see.  But that is what it is supposed to do - stress the heck out of your system.  That said, I am not aware of it posing a risk of overvolting like Prime95 is known to do with Haswell based systems.

What chassis is that cooler in, and are you using the radiator in an intake or exhaust configuration?  Either way you may want to look at improving airflow through the chassis.  Radiators always provide the best delta when fed a supply of fresh cool air.