NASA Under fire from conspiracy theorists after disconnecting live feed showing 3 UFOs

jos

The event itself is real, but people are likely blowing it out of proportion.

We've been trying to find life for so damn long, and if this isn't set up and it actually is alien life (doubt it) why are they hiding it? NASA even said at one point if they found aliens they would share it with the public.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

We've been trying to find life for so damn long, and if this isn't set up and it actually is alien life (doubt it) why are they hiding it? NASA even said at one point if they found aliens they would share it with the public.

Yup. It's really interesting. The Fermi Paradox has a lot of things about that

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sNhhvQGsMEc

In the universe there's basically 2 situations

- We are alone or...

- We are not alone.

Both are scary as fuck. I think that ther must be some kind of life out there. We just have to consider how tiny are we considering how freaking big the Universe is.

Or maybe we are very... Very inferior to other intelligent forms of life.

I imagine it like if we tried to show and explain our world to ants, we just couldn't, because they don't have enough intelligence to understand that.

Maybe we are just very stupid ants for another intelligent forms of life.

Anyways, if you think about it, what interesting stuff do we have to share?

If an interestellar civilization finds us they will have way better technology than us, and I don't think that they would be interested in our resources or ourselves, considering how scumbag, violent and self-destructing the human can be.

So we are at 10 pages, what is the summary so far?

- Probably just something in/falling out of orbit

- The universe is incomprehesively large so there should be intellegent life out there somewhere.

- There may not be intellegent life out there because if there was we should have been contacted or witnessed signs of it. Referencing the Fermi paradox discussion.

- Aliens wouldn't care much about us as we would be so far beneath them.

- some people would really like for aliens to make contact.

- 9/11 conspiracy theorists feel they need to push their theories into every conspiracy discussion.

Not sure if I missed anything.

So we are at 10 pages, what is the summary so far?

- Probably just something in/falling out of orbit

- The universe is incomprehesively large so there should be intellegent life out there somewhere.

- There may not be intellegent life out there because if there was we should have been contacted or witnessed signs of it. Referencing the Fermi paradox discussion.

- Aliens wouldn't care much about us as we would be so far beneath them.

- some people would really like for aliens to make contact.

- 9/11 conspiracy theorists feel they need to push their theories into every conspiracy discussion.

Not sure if I missed anything.

Like 30% of the last 3 pages are about 2 dudes discussing the 9/11 thing, thermite and some weird stuff.

Just remember: #DankMemesCan'tMeltSteelBeams

Looks like 3 UHAS (Ultra High Altitude Satellites) to me, kinda like the GOES satellites used by NOAA for weather and such.

*Edit*

By request;

GOES: Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite

Link: http://www.goes.noaa.gov/

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Yup. It's really interesting. The Fermi Paradox has a lot of things about that

In the universe there's basically 2 situations

- We are alone or...

- We are not alone.

Both are scary as fuck. I think that ther must be some kind of life out there. We just have to consider how tiny are we considering how freaking big the Universe is.

Or maybe we are very... Very inferior to other intelligent forms of life.

I imagine it like if we tried to show and explain our world to ants, we just couldn't, because they don't have enough intelligence to understand that.

Maybe we are just very stupid ants for another intelligent forms of life.

Anyways, if you think about it, what interesting stuff do we have to share?

If an interestellar civilization finds us they will have way better technology than us, and I don't think that they would be interested in our resources or ourselves, considering how scumbag, violent and self-destructing the human can be.

To put this in perspective, the Milky Way galaxy has an estimated 100 billion stars. Those stars could be orbited by planets in a possible habitable zone or even have life. There has to be something other than us. There might even be life in our solar system. Jupiter has a moon called Europa that has a thin ice surface and the inside is full of water. The ice protects the inside water from radiation. It is possible there is life in that moon.

Also, if those UFOs really were aliens, it is possible that they are making a bad choice stopping by Earth. We enslaved people of other color, torture and slaughter, and to this day have difficulty respecting other people, I can't imagine what humans would make out of aliens and do to them.

EDIT: I was wrong about how many stars there are. lel

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

If a species can travel across interstellar space, there's likely only one thing they'll really care about: Stars. They'll consume our star and move on. You can make matter from energy at high enough concentrations, so there's really no reason for them to strip mine the Earth either. It's unlikely they'll master interstellar travel before synthetic biology, so the chance of them needing to study us is just as low. If aliens ever show up in the (well, our) solar system, the sun will either disappear or be covered in energy harvesters and all life on Earth will die immediately. So don't worry so much, guys!

The fermi paradox is a well respected hypothesis in astrophysics, so saying it's crap is not entirely fair. The hypothesis factors in it's own unlikelihood, so you have to give it credit for being humble.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, despite the lovely things the CIA had to say about them when they coined the term in 1967, but I do want to share a project that I haven't seen mentioned here yet. Project 1794 was a classified project within the Air Force (now declassified), which was attempting to build a VTOL circular saucer. ...

Seems unlikely and ineffiient to come to our solar system to consume our sun. It makes about as much sense as stripmining our planet. might make for a good movie though. It would be beyond us, but I am unsure what would be worth harvesting from a star that would cause the destruction of life on Earth. But let's say a civilization can or wishes to do this, we are out in the suburbs of our galaxy, relatively speaking. It would make more sense to head intowards the centre of the galaxy as the densities of stars is far higher. Also the destruction of life on earth would be quite a bit less than instantaneous.

The Fermi paradox is a good point but I think it's inherently flawed as it doesn't take into account when intellegent life would begin to show up in the universe. Basically what would it take for intellegent life to begin, maybe it really does take along time and you need all the right things to be in place.

What is even a worse related concept to the Fermi paradox is the Great Filter. the concept is a little vague, but it's the idea that something (we couldn't know what) that prevents intellegent civilizations from ever forming. If it's behind us? Great. But is more likely ahead of us.

The US government tried creating flying saucers a few times.

Seems unlikely and ineffiient to come to our solar system to consume our sun. It makes about as much sense as stripmining our planet. might make for a good movie though. It would be beyond us, but I am unsure what would be worth harvesting from a star that would cause the destruction of life on Earth. But let's say a civilization can or wishes to do this, we are out in the suburbs of our galaxy, relatively speaking. It would make more sense to head intowards the centre of the galaxy as the densities of stars is far higher. Also the destruction of life on earth would be quite a bit less than instantaneous.

The Fermi paradox is a good point but I think it's inherently flawed as it doesn't take into account when intellegent life would begin to show up in the universe. Basically what would it take for intellegent life to begin, maybe it really does take along time and you need all the right things to be in place.

What is even a worse related concept to the Fermi paradox is the Great Filter. the concept is a little vague, but it's the idea that something (we couldn't know what) that prevents intellegent civilizations from ever forming. If it's behind us? Great. But is more likely ahead of us.

The US government tried creating flying saucers a few times.

The US government is likely still trying to create a flying saucer. There are probably tons of projects that were previously shut down that, due to modern computing power, are being run through simulations and tests "just in case" they have some advantages. 

Another theory, one who's name I'm not acquainted with, is that aliens are incomprehensibly small or simply invisible (or both) due to efficiency and security. Honestly, I think it would be smart for humanity to start considering trying to hide the solar system. We don't need any surprise visitors, not until we're equal or superior in physical ability. 

Who knows, maybe dark energy is just primordial life slowly consuming the universe. If that's the case, they're destroying all matter and significantly shortening the Universe's physical lifespan. What was the last estimate? We have like, 10 billion years or so left? Not a long time to learn how to break the second law of thermodynamics and prevent the entropic death of the cosmos. 

That's a good point about energy harvesting. They could at least find a binary star system. It might not even be worth the energy to drive all the way to the edge of the cosmic dusty trail for a nibble of energy. Maybe stars aren't even a relatively good source of energy. Maybe blackholes are all the rage. Or dark matter/energy. But if you think of it in terms of oil exploration, offshore drilling used to be too expensive to make a profit and now look at us. A majority of our oil drilling is offshore. So it's possible that aliens would eventually find a cheap way to, say, lasso in our star and gobble it up and get an overall net gain.

Global instantaneous extinction might be an exaggeration, but I don't think most life on Earth would fare very well in permanent darkness. Humans sure wouldn't. We'd be running out of fossil fuels twice as fast.

To put this in perspective, the Milky Way galaxy has an estimated 100 billion stars. Those stars could be orbited by planets in a possible habitable zone or even have life. There has to be something other than us. There might even be life in our solar system. Jupiter has a moon called Europa that has a thin ice surface and the inside is full of water. The ice protects the inside water from radiation. It is possible there is life in that moon.

Also, if those UFOs really were aliens, it is possible that they are making a bad choice stopping by Earth. We enslaved people of other color, torture and slaughter, and to this day have difficulty respecting other people, I can't imagine what humans would make out of aliens and do to them.

EDIT: I was wrong about how many stars there are. lel

Hahaha maybe not 100 billion but i'm sure that a shitton.

Exactly, we're kinda stupid in that aspect. Maybe we're the rednecks of the universe? Like you say, we struggle to be in peace with our own species, I can't imagine what could happen if another intelligent life form arrives here.

I believe that we're very primitive, and sadly we're not mature enough to explore space or contact other life forms.

At least we have bacon.

We are not the only creature on Earth to enslave others. We might be more technologically advanced, but things like viruses, microorganisms and parasites would be just as much, if not more threatening than humans. 

Also, while I would never make light of our past atrocities (and some current ones), humans are fairly peaceful and tolerant of each other. The vocal minority is often the only one that gets noticed and usually things only make international news when they go badly, but I don't think people realize just how peaceful the world is today. More than ever, really. 

It's something that's easy to ignore, especially when people say things like "more people died in the 20th century than ANY OTHER CENTURY IN HISTORY!" Well, yes, but more people were also alive than any other century in history. Proportionally speaking, the 20th century wasn't that bad. If it were, you'd have something like half a billion people dying rather than 40-60 million. Of course 60 million is just 60 million too many, but warring states is a relic of the past these days. Most nations either talk out their differences and end up trading or just ignore each other with the occasional border skirmish or passive aggressive statements to news media.

The US government is likely still trying to create a flying saucer. There are probably tons of projects that were previously shut down that, due to modern computing power, are being run through simulations and tests "just in case" they have some advantages.

Another theory, one who's name I'm not acquainted with, is that aliens are incomprehensibly small or simply invisible (or both) due to efficiency and security. Honestly, I think it would be smart for humanity to start considering trying to hide the solar system. We don't need any surprise visitors, not until we're equal or superior in physical ability.

Who knows, maybe dark energy is just primordial life slowly consuming the universe. If that's the case, they're destroying all matter and significantly shortening the Universe's physical lifespan. What was the last estimate? We have like, 10 billion years or so left? Not a long time to learn how to break the second law of thermodynamics and prevent the entropic death of the cosmos.

That's a good point about energy harvesting. They could at least find a binary star system. It might not even be worth the energy to drive all the way to the edge of the cosmic dusty trail for a nibble of energy. Maybe stars aren't even a relatively good source of energy. Maybe blackholes are all the rage. Or dark matter/energy. But if you think of it in terms of oil exploration, offshore drilling used to be too expensive to make a profit and now look at us. A majority of our oil drilling is offshore. So it's possible that aliens would eventually find a cheap way to, say, lasso in our star and gobble it up and get an overall net gain.

Global instantaneous extinction might be an exaggeration, but I don't think most life on Earth would fare very well in permanent darkness. Humans sure wouldn't. We'd be running out of fossil fuels twice as fast.

Wow that's deep.

I read somewhere, I don't remember where, that traveling around the universe is very, very, very time consuming, even at light speed. We would have to go faster than light speed. And to achive that we would have to basically say "screw you" to physics?.

Dark energy is the one that expands the universe, making repulsive gravity right?

Maybe the advanced life forms also use gravity as a source of energy?

So sad, born too late to explore the world, and too early to explore the universe

Exactly, we're kinda stupid in that aspect. Maybe we're the rednecks of the universe? Like you say, we struggle to be in peace with our own species, I can't imagine what could happen if another intelligent life form arrives here.

I believe that we're very primitive, and sadly we're not mature enough to explore space or contact other life forms.

At least we have bacon.

If aliens ever end up stumbling upon our planet, it just wouldn't work out. Chances are, our sun would be too weak or to strong for them compared to the star they orbit, we couldn't communicate, and they probably wouldn't be very amused at our accomplishments as humans.

What's also funny but irrelevant is how we know of the Kepler 186 system hundreds of light years away but we still do not have clear photos of Pluto.

If aliens ever end up stumbling upon our planet, it just wouldn't work out. Chances are, our sun would be too weak or to strong for them compared to the star they orbit, we couldn't communicate, and they probably wouldn't be very amused at our accomplishments as humans.

What's also funny but irrelevant is how we know of the Kepler 186 system hundreds of light years away but we still do not have clear photos of Pluto.

Just wait 2 more weeks and I guess you will have them! (14th July I think)

Wow that's deep.

I read somewhere, I don't remember where, that traveling around the universe is very, very, very time consuming, even at light speed. We would have to go faster than light speed. And to achive that we would have to basically say "screw you" to physics?.

Dark energy is the one that expands the universe, making repulsive gravity right?

So sad, born too late to explore the world, and too early to explore the universe

At the speed of light, it would take us tens of thousands of years to reach another galaxy. Hell, it takes 5 hours for light from the sun to get to Pluto.

Have what? I'm confused. Pluto pictures?

Have what? I'm confused. Pluto pictures?

Yup. New Horizons

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/newhorizons/main/

The probe will land on Pluto this month. And we will get clear photos of Pluto.

Check this, first photos (not so clear, bt it's something) Spoiler; Pluto isn't blue ;(

https://www.nasa.gov/content/first-pluto-charon-color-image-from-new-horizons/

Wow that's deep.

Colonizing the galaxy would take some time, but not forever. Colonizing other galaxies would probably not be worth it, considering they're moving apart from each other. We really need to up our numbers. We haven't hit 10 billion strong yet, meanwhile bacteria number in the quadrillions and laugh at our fragile existence. I hope one day, through a mixture of synthetic biology and mechatronics, we can print out trillions and trillions of humans. The more we have, the more we can accomplish. 

A dyson sphere matroshka brain hybrid would likely be our future in the Milky Way. We would build solar grids around every star and use the energy for very, very complex computer systems. We would live in a matrix-like world for as long as our star has energy, probably trying to compute a way to harvest energy before our star dies. At the very least, we could use the supernovae explosion to catapult ourselves elsewhere and start the process all over again. We'll have to figure out something more reliable than solar energy someday, maybe even better than gravity and dark energy, because physics says none of these things will remain intact forever. We need to find the fountain of youth in the Universe, or leave the Universe or hack the Universe if one doesn't exist. 

Born too early / too late is something I see a lot around the web. For one, your lifespan is steadily increasing the longer you live. That is one vote of confidence. But another thing to consider is that your body is not made of anything mystical. It's a very complex machine that performs around 500 quadrillion calculations a second (chemical reactions). Controlling those requires very small tools. Well, luckily our control of laser pulses is down to the femtosecond, we're understanding optoelectronics and microfluidic chips for brain control, ultrasound is being used to somewhat combat Alzheimer's, computers are starting to be used for drug discovery and of course synthetic biology and genetic engineering is exploding. There's no reason to think we can't replace every cell, tissue, neuronal connection we're made of with better, stronger, faster, more resilient parts. We need better lysosomes. We need our mitochondria to be moved inside our nucleus. These problems are hard but they are NOT unsolvable. We can live forever in the right environment if we have good enough parts. 

The environment is also tricky, but also not impossible to handle. Our survival is thanks to our insane ability to adapt. We're basically the meter-sized version of bacteria - a wonderful compliment, to be sure. Bacteria, as it turns out, is growing INSIDE the nuclear reactor at Chernobyl! This is insane! We thought it would be inhospitable for thousands of years, and here biology strikes again with a jolly "fuck you nature". If they can do it, so can we. 

Point is, never give up. Never think you're too old or too late to do something, because we've also been telling nature to go fuck itself for countless generations and there seems to be no end in sight. 

What did NASA have to hide?  No surprise people are upset with them disconnecting a live feed showing 3 unidentified flying objects.  That is some exciting stuff.  Seriously NASA wants us to care about space and what they do out there but will only show us select things?  You stink NASA!

That does not make it a theory in of itself. It may rely on theories, but that does not make it a theory.

Fair enough it is not a theory, but it is not a factual problem either. I would then call it a theoretical problem

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

It still wouldn't take long for us all to die off, but humanity with our current level of technology could survive for a short period with no sun, but that would be ultra sad.

I think the problem with the energy harvesting of the sun is the gobbling it up aspect. Being a limited human, I don't foresee a need to consume a star for any real purpose. I bet they could do it efficiently enough for it to have a positive net gain, but why? Raw materials? Why bother there isn't enough reason to do so except to gather raw materials such as hydrogen and helium, which is freely available throughout the universe without needing to stop nuclear fusion. Like you said harnessing dark matter,  dark energy (which would address the heat death of the universe), or black holes seem like they would provide exotic sources of energy you couldn't get from a nuclear fusion process.

If an alien race were to construct Dyson spheres (as you brought up in another thread) that would make far more sense as harnessing the energy of a sun versus harvesting seem far more practical, and it doesn't even have to leave us in the cold.

Another thing you brought up in another post, the cloaking of our solar system seems like an interesting theory. You would also need to somehow cloak the effects of gravity but this would turn your star system into a rogue system likely causing you to leave the galaxy. Wild thought, maybe dark matter is cloaked star systems? Although they seem to possess more gravity, but maybe thats just an effect from cloaking star systems or regions of space? I don't necessarily think this is true, but hey these are all theoretical wild discussions right.

300 billion stars is estimated in our galaxy, its a 100 billion galaxies estimated in the observable universe.

A dyson sphere matroshka brain hybrid would likely be our future in the Milky Way. We would build solar grids around every star and use the energy for very, very complex computer systems. We would live in a matrix-like world for as long as our star has energy, probably trying to compute a way to harvest energy before our star dies. At the very least, we could use the supernovae explosion to catapult ourselves elsewhere and start the process all over again. We'll have to figure out something more reliable than solar energy someday, maybe even better than gravity and dark energy, because physics says none of these things will remain intact forever. We need to find the fountain of youth in the Universe, or leave the Universe or hack the Universe if one doesn't exist. 

Well dark energy might be the cause of the expansion of the universe, so if a "heat death" is the end game scenario, using dark energy could be sustainable for quite some time. Hell we could always use the energy of the current universe to create a new one, or cross the multi-verse (if it turns out to be a thing) divide.

Born too early / too late is something I see a lot around the web. For one, your lifespan is steadily increasing the longer you live.

Unfortunately, we are only living longer as species due to improved diet, which in recent times has started taking a backwards step.

The environment is also tricky, but also not impossible to handle. Our survival is thanks to our insane ability to adapt. We're basically the meter-sized version of bacteria - a wonderful compliment, to be sure. Bacteria, as it turns out, is growing INSIDE the nuclear reactor at Chernobyl! This is insane! We thought it would be inhospitable for thousands of years, and here biology strikes again with a jolly "fuck you nature". If they can do it, so can we. 

Point is, never give up. Never think you're too old or too late to do something, because we've also been telling nature to go fuck itself for countless generations and there seems to be no end in sight. 

I like the end point.

Not sure if this has already been said but here's my explanation.

This live feed is called HDEV (High Definition Earth Viewing experiment) which has been operating almost continuously since march last year. It can be viewed here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/iss-hdev-payload

HDEV consists of a small pressurized box with four commercially available video cameras pointing in different directions. Because of bandwidth limitations from the ISS's downlink (about 3mb/s upload) only one camera can operate at a time as to not saturate the bandwidth which is required for other uses, so there is usually a few seconds of downtime as the system is switching cameras, which happens on an automatic time based cycle. Also the ISS requires a direct link to the ground to transmit these images, as a satellite link would not have the required bandwidth and/or latency that a direct link has. Because it is not politically viable to have ground receiving stations in every country under the ISS's orbit path, there are some sizable dead - zones where the HDEV cameras cannot steam to the ground, and therefore the imagery stops. These are over large areas of western Russia, and most of Asia.

My theory is that the live feed was cut purely by coincidence as the ISS passed into these dead-zones, or HDEV was switching cameras. NASA would not have cut the feed intentionally as I doubt anyone there is monitoring it 24/7, as it is designed to automatically switch cameras.

As for the 'UFOs' they are likely to be other satellites, such as part of the Iridium constellation (one of the largest) or part of a GPS network, based on their speed relative to the ISS, and apparent size (GPS satellites orbit approximately 50 times higher than the ISS, so will look like tiny white dots), so there is absolutely nothing strange here.

As for them being referred to as 'UFOs', while being blatant clickbait, is actually correct, as I doubt the journalist took the time to identify the satellites.

See the first reply on this page for more info on HDEV's control system: http://space.stackexchange.com/questions/4771/why-arent-the-iss-hdev-cameras-left-on-at-night

TL;DR Most likely just satellites 

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

Yup. New Horizons

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/newhorizons/main/

The probe will land on Pluto this month. And we will get clear photos of Pluto.

Check this, first photos (not so clear, bt it's something) Spoiler; Pluto isn't blue ;(

https://www.nasa.gov/content/first-pluto-charon-color-image-from-new-horizons/

What?, the probe will not land on Pluto, it will only do a close fly-by.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

It seems every time, when someone tries to capture something significant, they're camera automatically goes into potato mode.

*takes selfie* HD mode

*takes a F1 racing down the city streets* Potato mode

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list