gsync - does it actually save cash?

Guest Console Peasant
Go to solution Solved by Flurr,

What?

I know, this confused me so much lol

Just a thought i had because i heard theres a gsync or freesync monitor thats 30-144 which is great, wouldnt that mean you would need more like a $200 card to get 30fps instead of like $600+ for 144hz?

Just my theory - a bit more for a better monitor seems worth it in this situation.. Maybe i can even go 1440p because of this?

Am I wrong?

What?

You don't get more FPS, it just makes gaming nicer.

But gsync is generally about 150€ on top of a normal monitor

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

Wouldn't adaptive sync be far more logical that way you can use AMD or Nvidia or even Intel for that matter?

wait what is adaptive isnt that gsync and freesync?

You don't get more FPS, it just makes gaming nicer.

But gsync is generally about 150€ on top of a normal monitor

so getting 30fps doesnt look like 144hz on a 30-144hz gsync panel?

so getting 30fps doesnt look like 144hz on a 30-144hz gsync panel?

No.

It looks like 30hz or 30fps.

No.

It looks like 30hz or 30fps.

that goes against everything ive been told about it, i was told it looks like 60fps even at 30fps.. etc

that goes against everything ive been told about it, i was told it looks like 60fps even at 30fps.. etc

Well who told you that ? your name doesn't inspire confidence 

Also your build already has a pair of 144hz monitors ?

Probably.  Adaptive sync I think works with all cards, and it is cheaper by 200-400 bucks.

does it do the same thing? I might get it cuz im on amd right now and im getting nvidia

THats completlly wrong sorry.

30 fps looks like 30 fps on gsync

47 fps looks like 47 fps on gsync

123 fps looks like 123 fps on gsync

Im wrong, sorry.

NVM

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Well, AMD and Nvidia keep talking about it.  Adaptive sync does work with certain AMD and Nvidia cards.  Not sure which ones though.

so its like free gsync? 

THats completlly wrong sorry.

30 fps looks like 30 fps on gsync

47 fps looks like 47 fps on gsync

123 fps looks like 123 fps on gsync

Have you actually used a G-SYNC monitor? 40Hz on a G-SYNC monitor does feel like it's still at 60Hz.

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

Have you actually used a G-SYNC monitor? 40Hz on a G-SYNC monitor does feel like it's still at 60Hz.

no.

ill edit my post

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

does it do the same thing? I might get it cuz im on amd right now and im getting nvidia

Adaptive Vsync turns off Vsync below 60 FPS (or whatever your monitors refresh rate is) to reduce the input lag that Vsync brings.

Gsync actually lowers the refresh rate of the monitor when framerate is lower.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

30 FPS with G-SYNC or Free-sync/adaptive Sync won't look like 144Hz, but it will make it MUCH smoother, not measurable in FPS, (at least I've heard)

Adaptive Vsync turns off Vsync below 60 FPS (or whatever your monitors refresh rate is) to reduce the input lag that Vsync brings.

Gsync actually lowers the refresh rate of the monitor when framerate is lower.

so theres no gsync + freesync shit here, just random technology by AMD.

im not sure whether to get freesync now, then when i get my gpu, gsync...

doesnt matter... noone should be gaming without gsync;

anyone who has tried will agree (same as with IPS and 21:9 and above-60hz)

doesnt matter... noone should be gaming without gsync;

anyone who has tried will agree (same as with IPS and 21:9 and above-60hz)

and the fps range make sit more justifiable,

although freesync would be better

and the fps range make sit more justifiable,

although freesync would be better

Freesync would be better in the OLED era. As OLEDs dont use overdrive and can go as low as 0hz. So no ghosting artifacts because of freesync shit overdrive control and minimum cap issues.

Except AMD pre-gimped freesync already by making the specs minimum 9hz. Making the nvidias module that can go as low as 0hz the superior tech in the OLED era again.

AMD just never mises and opportunity to disappoint, ha?

In theory the Answer to your question is "Maybe."

If you think it will make you're rig run faster (in any significant way) no.

If you think it will make lower fps look nicer, yes.

30fps is 30 fps. However, Due to how (G-sync/Free Sync) work they make those 30 fps flow at a much smother (natural?) rate. While usually eliminating Tearing and Stuttering. I think I understand what you are asking though. Will a ~$600-$1000 Gsync/Freesync monitor compensate for lower end cards? YES! It doesn't however make 30 fps look like 144fps.

Does it Compensate enough to allow you to drop down a tier of graphics cards? Well that is up too the individual, as visual taste and standards vary so much per person. Hence, the Maybe. For me its a, No.

Also Quick Clarification. Since you seem to be buying a video card or maybe already have.
If you buy NVidia  you MUST buy Gsync to get the benefit. 

If you buy AMD you MUST buy Freesync to get the benefit.

If you use Intel graphics, please buy a green or red team graphics card!

If saving a buck is on your mind I'd swing red team. If having better driver support is important I'd swing Green team.

G-sync isn't going to make 30fps look like 60 its just going to stop stuttering and screen tearing but your still going to have motion blur at 40-50fps and below. If your on a budget stick to 1080, don't worry about 1440 then pick up a 960 or a 970 if you can afford it and be happy.

In theory the Answer to your question is "Maybe."

If you think it will make you're rig run faster (in any significant way) no.

If you think it will make lower fps look nicer, yes.

30fps is 30 fps. However, Due to how (G-sync/Free Sync) work they make those 30 fps flow at a much smother (natural?) rate. While usually eliminating Tearing and Stuttering. I think I understand what you are asking though. Will a ~$600-$1000 Gsync/Freesync monitor compensate for lower end cards? YES! It doesn't however make 30 fps look like 144fps.

Does it Compensate enough to allow you to drop down a tier of graphics cards? Well that is up too the individual, as visual taste and standards vary so much per person. Hence, the Maybe. For me its a, No.

Also Quick Clarification. Since you seem to be buying a video card or maybe already have.

If you buy NVidia  you MUST buy Gsync to get the benefit. 

If you buy AMD you MUST buy Freesync to get the benefit.

If you use Intel graphics, please buy a green or red team graphics card!

If saving a buck is on your mind I'd swing red team. If having better driver support is important I'd swing Green team.

I like this post, well written and explained, so now I see that it looks like 144hz because its so seemless, not because of the range... (or whatever i was thinking)

So keeping a higher framerate will be easier.. Which I'd be happy with to. And yes I'm suck of AMDs drivers so I have to spent a lot more on nvidia card and gsync.

Thanks

G-sync isn't going to make 30fps look like 60 its just going to stop stuttering and screen tearing but your still going to have motion blur at 40-50fps and below. If your on a budget stick to 1080, don't worry about 1440 then pick up a 960 or a 970 if you can afford it and be happy.

Well once I get my new card I want to pick up a 1080p 144hz gsync

Avoid Gsync like the plauge, you should have to pay for proprietory hardware just to get a smoother experience.

ASync or Freesync are the best options.

Don't be a smuck and fork out £200 odd on top of an already expensive monitor. :)

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.