incorrect IP address and geolocation (from router)

johnnysgaming2

Hi,
Im in a bit of a panic now cos my ip address shows something else and my location has changed to saudi arabia on all my devices connected to my router. All location preferences like youtube are showing arabic stuff.

I tried restarting the router yet nothing, i even called up my ISP and asked them if they changed my ip or if theres a problem or anything, they said everythings fine.

I just recovered from a malware attack, ran a bunch of malware removal software, and when one of those software almost rekt my pc, used a system restore point. The pc is running fine but not sure how my pc can affect my router and affect its ip and geolocation. 
Im kinda worried if I got hacked or something.

Please help me,

Thanks

Update: apparently the LAN connects through a wider MAN to the WAN,..or something like that... so the different ip address is done by the ISP.
Thats not a problem then.
But the geolocation is still an issue.

Hi,

Im in a bit of a panic now cos my ip address shows something else and my location has changed to saudi arabia on all my devices connected to my router. All location preferences like youtube are showing arabic stuff.

I tried restarting the router yet nothing, i even called up my ISP and asked them if they changed my ip or if theres a problem or anything, they said everythings fine.

I just recovered from a malware attack, ran a bunch of malware removal software, and when one of those software almost rekt my pc, used a system restore point. The pc is running fine but not sure how my pc can affect my router and affect its ip and geolocation. 

Please help me,

Thanks

Well you can report it to google if you are getting the wrong ip geolocation. 

https://support.google.com/websearch/contact/ip

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Hi,

Please help me,

Thanks

Are you sure you're not connected through a VPN?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Are you sure you're not connected through a VPN?

Im very sure im not. 

This cant be a virus/malware can it? They can affect pcs but not routers,can they?

It might be helpful if you told us why you believe the IP address you are seeing is incorrect. But it can be a security issue to post your full IP on the internet, so please just provide the first 3 octets (before the 3rd decimal).

For example:
Inside my network, my router's IP should be 192.168.1.X

Outside my network (on the internet), my router's IP should be 75.102.135.X

I should see the same IP on my router's internal webpage (WAN address) as I do when going to websites like ipchicken.com that tell you the IP address that the internet sees you coming from.

An exception here is if you are in a double NAT, situation, where your ISP gives you a private IP in the 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x, or 192.168.x.x ranges. Source: I work for an ISP that currently only gives residents an internal 172.16.x.x IP address. In this case, what your router reports and what ipchicken or other "what is my IP" type sites show would be different.

As for your question if routers can get malware, there is a specific virus going around that can infect specific routers, but it would not cause your IP address to change. Your IP address is assigned by your ISP, and you would only see it differently if the virus caused your computer to use a VPN, which wouldn't benefit a hacker very much overall. They have better things they could do with access to your router, so therefore I think you are safe. Also the vulnerable models are all very old by my understanding, like 7+ years old.

One final note: The geolocation data attached to the IP you are assigned can be changed in crazy ways, and your ISP may not even be aware of it. One of the areas we serve keeps having it's geolocation data changed to different parts of the East Coast of the US, and we don't know why or how to stop it. We just keep resetting it to what it should be when we notice.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Hi,

Please help me,

Thanks

you saying you had a nasty virus...tells me it screwed around with some system files

and especially since you did the restore

..heres what I would do

backup all your data to an external hdd

format and do a clean install of the OS

hard reset your router and modem with the reset button (hold for 10 seconds)

that will pretty much solve your problem..tho its a little bit of work

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

It might be helpful if you told us why you believe the IP address you are seeing is incorrect. But it can be a security issue to post your full IP on the internet, so please just provide the first 3 octets (before the 3rd decimal).

For example:

Inside my network, my router's IP should be 192.168.1.X

Outside my network (on the internet), my router's IP should be 75.102.135.X

I should see the same IP on my router's internal webpage (WAN address) as I do when going to websites like ipchicken.com that tell you the IP address that the internet sees you coming from.

An exception here is if you are in a double NAT, situation, where your ISP gives you a private IP in the 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x, or 192.168.x.x ranges. Source: I work for an ISP that currently only gives residents an internal 172.16.x.x IP address. In this case, what your router reports and what ipchicken or other "what is my IP" type sites show would be different.

As for your question if routers can get malware, there is a specific virus going around that can infect specific routers, but it would not cause your IP address to change. Your IP address is assigned by your ISP, and you would only see it differently if the virus caused your computer to use a VPN, which wouldn't benefit a hacker very much overall. They have better things they could do with access to your router, so therefore I think you are safe. Also the vulnerable models are all very old by my understanding, like 7+ years old.

One final note: The geolocation data attached to the IP you are assigned can be changed in crazy ways, and your ISP may not even be aware of it. One of the areas we serve keeps having it's geolocation data changed to different parts of the East Coast of the US, and we don't know why or how to stop it. We just keep resetting it to what it should be when we notice.

brwainer

Sure, the router's ip is 192.168.1.x and my actual ip address is 172.16.25x.xx. (I even verified this with my isp last night)

But on sites like whatsmyip it shows 175.101.67.xxx.

Not sure what u mean by double NAT, but my ISP provides a static ip. Although, ive been on the same isp for over a year and never had this issue.

And the symptoms sure do look like a VPN but ive scanned multiple times and havent found anything, and my router is very old, probably 6 years+  :D (its probably time for an upgrade, right?)

you saying you had a nasty virus...tells me it screwed around with some system files

and especially since you did the restore

..heres what I would do

backup all your data to an external hdd

format and do a clean install of the OS

hard reset your router and modem with the reset button (hold for 10 seconds)

that will pretty much solve your problem..tho its a little bit of work

Techguru,

I already did the hard reset on the modem twice and even manually flashed a firmware from the website. I was about to do a new os install but i thought what good would it do if the problem is in the router and not the pc.

But if nothing else works, then that is my last resort.

Update: apparently the LAN connects through a wider MAN to the WAN,..or something like that... so the different ip address is done by the ISP.

the 172.16.25x.x is a private IP, as you have found out. This is called double NAT. Your router is doing NAT to connect you to the ISP, and your ISP is doing NAT to connect to the internet. As for the geolocation, I'm not sure how to help you. That is definitely between your ISP and the rest of the internet.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: