Why does anime do this....? (rant)

Syntaxvgm

Why, every time there's an English part in an anime, do they use Japanese actors? It's terrible! Just...fucking hire English dub actors for the part. It's easy. Yet NO anime does that.

There's dubs of these shows, and plenty of well known actors that have experience voicing this kinda crap, yet they use Japanese actors that can't speak English for English parts? 

I mean, if they are trying to convey this character is English, why wouldn't they use an English actor? 

I mean I've never heard of shows that are in English using an English voice actor for Japaneses or some other language...

It ruins the moment, makes it's cringey. There's no way THEY can't notice, right?

I'm your typical American that only speaks one language, yet even I know when I hear bad Spanish or Japanese or any langue I have a bit of understanding of.

There HAS to be a reason! I mean, if it's budget I'm sure there's gotta be 1 weeaboo with a good condenser mic out there that has a decent voice that would do it for free! 

GAA!

/rant

edit

I don't watch a ton of American media to know what you are talking about on the Italian side, but I know they're a joke to us. Fake Italian is funny or something. See it in commercials all of the time along with fake french. Like gibberish or close to it.

To answer to this, I'm gonna answer my own thread here, but the REAL reason I bet this is-

Ever seens a b-roll overhead shot of Japan? It's a sea of the same color- Almost all Japanese population. Like 98-99%, then some bit parts of Korean , Chinese, and maybe .5% others.

They may not seem shocking to some, but as an American, every time you see that you about flip out. We are so used to a really really mixed dmeographic here.

Here, a studio can pick someone up off of the street that speaks Spanish naively for example. I live in Indiana, and I know tons of Mexican natives, as well as those who were born here but raised to speak spanish. Other languages too. We even hav e a significant Burmese population here- yah know, the language when written looks like spilled spaghettios?

We have that on fucking signs at my local WalMart.

We even have a decent chunk of a Japanese population sprinkled though out the country.

Japan doesn't have that.

THAT'S why our media typically uses native speakers.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Pretty sure it's just cheaper to get your existing voice actors to do it, rather than hiring native speakers. I'd imagine there aren't many native English speaking voice actors in Japan. 

Pretty sure it's just cheaper to get your existing voice actors to do it, rather than hiring native speakers. I'd imagine there aren't many native English speaking voice actors in Japan.

I'm sure an American Dubbing company can a zip file and a bill

oh

There HAS to be a reason! I mean, if it's budget I'm sure there's gotta be 1 weeaboo with a good condenser mic out there that has a decent voice that would do it for free!

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

What in the world is an anime?

It's this amazing-

Ah, actually, you're not missing too much.

muh specs 

All parts black

Why, every time there's an English part in an anime, do they use Japanese actors?

Want an anime with english voice actors? Watch Ghost Stories on youtube :P

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Want an anime with english voice actors? Watch Ghost Stories on youtube :P

huh

and I'm talking about where they got like a 30 second scene that they wanna be edgy and not do the "the whole world speaks Japanese" trope for a scene

muh specs 

All parts black

Oh god, the one I'm watching is so bad the fansubbers had to subtitle it. English with English subtitles.

muh specs 

All parts black

Making contracts take time ya know....

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Well for me I don't really care about English voice acting in an anime. I always watch it in native japanese with english subtitles that's how its should be. Sometimes there is a problem with "R" and "L" but it doesn't phase me. But yeah to each their own.

Desktop: ARX-Laevatein : soon to be ARX-8 http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/8RyhHx

Custom Aurora R4 ALX case + Caselabs Merlin Pedestal | i7- 4820k @ 4.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Gene Mobo | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | EVGA/Gigabyte 12GB Titan X SLI | 128GB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 2x WD RED 3TB| EVGA 1200 P2 PSU | Win 10 | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Corsair M95 | Asus ROG Swift PG278Q | Sennheiser G4ME ZERO White

Laptop: M17x R4 Stealth Black :

i7-3940xm | 32 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws | 8Gb GTX 880m | Killer Wireless N-1103 | 500Gb Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD 5400rpm + 32Gb Msata SSD Cache | 1920 x 1080 120Hz 3D screen | DVDRWBD | Sound Blaster recon 3Di | M18x 330w PSU | Win 7 Ultimate | Zalman ZM-NC11 Black | Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB | Razer Mamba 2012 | Sennheiser PC 363D 7.1 Headset

Making contracts take time ya know....

1 weeabo with a good mic could rid the world of this scourge.

Just one

Or one dude that the studios pass around.

I'm not joking when I say someone with brain damage a lisp would be less immersion breaking. Much rather them speak Japanese and imply it's English. Hell some anime these days are getting their English release at the same time, I would image it's not that hard to work this out.

muh specs 

All parts black

Well for me I don't really care about English voice acting in an anime. I always watch it in native japanese with subtitles that's how its should be. Sometimes there is a problem with "R" and "L" but it doesn't phase me. But yeah to each their own.

I'm talking Japanese voice acting where they have English sections.

muh specs 

All parts black

I'm talking Japanese voice acting where they have English sections.

Yeah Japanese people speaking english lines.

Desktop: ARX-Laevatein : soon to be ARX-8 http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/8RyhHx

Custom Aurora R4 ALX case + Caselabs Merlin Pedestal | i7- 4820k @ 4.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Gene Mobo | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | EVGA/Gigabyte 12GB Titan X SLI | 128GB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 2x WD RED 3TB| EVGA 1200 P2 PSU | Win 10 | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Corsair M95 | Asus ROG Swift PG278Q | Sennheiser G4ME ZERO White

Laptop: M17x R4 Stealth Black :

i7-3940xm | 32 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws | 8Gb GTX 880m | Killer Wireless N-1103 | 500Gb Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD 5400rpm + 32Gb Msata SSD Cache | 1920 x 1080 120Hz 3D screen | DVDRWBD | Sound Blaster recon 3Di | M18x 330w PSU | Win 7 Ultimate | Zalman ZM-NC11 Black | Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB | Razer Mamba 2012 | Sennheiser PC 363D 7.1 Headset

So many people just not understanding what OP is saying :S.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

In Kill La Kill the voice actors were really good, I have not watched much else though.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

1 weeabo with a good mic could rid the world of this scourge.

Just one

Or one dude that the studios pass around.

I'm not joking when I say someone with brain damage a lisp would be less immersion breaking. Much rather them speak Japanese and imply it's English. Hell some anime these days are getting their English release at the same time, I would image it's not that hard to work this out.

Business is not that simple... Ultimately, anime studios are a business... And there's loads of weird regional contracts of VAs that won't allow some voices to be used in certain countries.

FF13 when is was on the steam page didn't have the Japanese voices available for NA. I remember the statement being that the Japanese voices are not allowed to be used outside Asia. But they fixed that eventually...   

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Yeah Japanese people speaking english lines.

Japanese accent is one thing. That's doable even.

It's not just a problem with a syllable here or there.

Watch the end of episode three and beginning of four of Chrome Shelled Regios with subs for a perfect example. I dropped that one, and think that was the last nail. The ear pain inducing music and everything else was enough as it was. Idk why I was recommended it. Not my style.

muh specs 

All parts black

In Kill La Kill the voice actors were Really good.

I don't remember an English part in in the Japanese version...

muh specs 

All parts black

I saw couple(one so far) anime in witch English lines were voice acted by English people. Probably they are just thinking that those 10 words are not worth it looking for English voice actor.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Business is not that simple... Ultimately, anime studios are a business... And there's loads of weird regional contracts of VAs that won't allow some voices to be used in certain countries.

FF13 when is was on the steam page didn't have the Japanese voices available for NA. I remember the statement being that the Japanese voices are not allowed to be used outside Asia. But they fixed that eventually...

Yah I know...but it's like...why even try then? Yah know? Just do it in Japanese if you can't do it in English.

muh specs 

All parts black

Yah I know...but it's like...why even try then? Yah know? Just do it in Japanese if you can't do it in English.

Why try? Because they can do whatever the fuck they want. Yea thats probably about it  ;)

I saw couple(one so far) anime in witch English lines were voice acted by English people. Probably they are just thinking that those 10 words are not worth it looking for English voice actor.

I had one with half an Episode once. But youa re right about the work involved for that. I think they should just think of this ahead of time.

I mean American studios have foreign actors for bit parts.

muh specs 

All parts black

Why try? Because they can do whatever the fuck they want. Yea thats probably about it  ;)

......I think that sums up about everything in Anime really.....

muh specs 

All parts black

I always watched dubbed anyway

come at me

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

for the sake of art, nothing costs too much...

unless I'm the one making it and I have no money to make it...

I mean American studios have foreign actors for bit parts.

Compare Hollywood budget with anime studio budget...