Switching to nvidia for shadowplay - questions

Guest Console Peasant

AMDs raptr software isnt up to snuff for my usage, it crashes while GVR'ing...

So I need to know, does shadowplay ever fuck with any of your games? For example aiming/input lag or crashes are a main concern for me, besides that they are both really similar.

I also need it to record obslete games, which raptr doesnt support, so does the fullscreen non game capture mode work the same as a game capture? Does it effect the previously mentioned? Like for example flash games or other engined games, i think would be captured in the fullscreen mode instead of windowed, tell me if you know.

and does it use multichannel audio?

it lowers the fps by a bit and it happened to me that it sometimes stopped recording from itself in Manual mode, its working fine, but i only use it cuz dxtory doesnt record sound for me

it lowers the fps by a bit and it happened to me that it sometimes stopped recording from itself in Manual mode, its working fine, but i only use it cuz dxtory doesnt record sound for me

most games ill be playing will be low end, so only input or aiming lag i will care about, i need it to be seemless, don't care if it takes a couple fps off, how were the previously mentioned?

So I need to know, does shadowplay ever fuck with any of your games? For example aiming/input lag or crashes are a main concern for me, besides that they are both really similar.

I also need it to record obslete games, which raptr doesnt support, so does the fullscreen non game capture mode work the same as a game capture? Does it effect the previously mentioned? Like for example flash games or other engined games, i think would be captured in the fullscreen mode instead of windowed, tell me if you know.

Yes.  With Desktop Recording turned on, you can record anything anytime without needing it to detect.  It just records.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Yes.  With Desktop Recording turned on, you can record anything anytime without needing it to detect.  It just records.

good news, how does it perform? Like i said i dont care about frames but no input or lag like that

I thought I'd provide my experience and some alternatives you can consider if you end up not liking Shadowplay.

I used Shadowplay for a good month, but then it started giving me problems like; crashing, not recording even though I press the button(it just sits there), and to me it was very limited with options.

I switched over to Open Broadcaster Software. OBS is a free open source alternative to the popular streaming software XSplit, but OBS also supports a local recording option. So you can setup custom scenes and source types(full screen, game capture, pictures), just like you would do if you're a streamer, but for personal videos. OBS also has the "Record Buffer" feature that Shadowplay is known for, where the software records X amount of seconds/minutes at a time and you just press a button when you want to save the current buffer. OBS has a lot of settings, so I do recommend looking up YouTube videos and text guides for local recording settings.

As for performance concerns, OBS can use your CPU or your GPU as the encoder, so if you're playing a CPU intensive game then you can use your GPU instead to record and vice versa. I play Guild Wars 2, which is very taxing on my CPU and I lose frames when recording with my CPU, but GPU recording is a bit better.

And for your question about multichannel audio, just to clarify, are you asking if Shadowplay records audio in separate audio tracks so you can edit the videos later in Sony Vegas/Premiere and you can edit voice and in-game audio separately? If that is what you're asking then I'm not sure Shadowplay can do that, but I know DXTory can, but DXTory is paid software. I've used it in the past and loved the multichannel audio feature, but I ended up sacrificing that to use OBS.

Open Broadcaster link: https://obsproject.com/

DXTory: http://exkode.com/

I thought I'd provide my experience and some alternatives you can consider if you end up not liking Shadowplay.

I used Shadowplay for a good month, but then it started giving me problems like; crashing, not recording even though I press the button(it just sits there), and to me it was very limited with options.

I switched over to Open Broadcaster Software. OBS is a free open source alternative to the popular streaming software XSplit, but OBS also supports a local recording option. So you can setup custom scenes and source types(full screen, game capture, pictures), just like you would do if you're a streamer, but for personal videos. OBS also has the "Record Buffer" feature that Shadowplay is known for, where the software records X amount of seconds/minutes at a time and you just press a button when you want to save the current buffer. OBS has a lot of settings, so I do recommend looking up YouTube videos and text guides for local recording settings.

As for performance concerns, OBS can use your CPU or your GPU as the encoder, so if you're playing a CPU intensive game then you can use your GPU instead to record and vice versa. I play Guild Wars 2, which is very taxing on my CPU and I lose frames when recording with my CPU, but GPU recording is a bit better.

And for your question about multichannel audio, just to clarify, are you asking if Shadowplay records audio in separate audio tracks so you can edit the videos later in Sony Vegas/Premiere and you can edit voice and in-game audio separately? If that is what you're asking then I'm not sure Shadowplay can do that, but I know DXTory can, but DXTory is paid software. I've used it in the past and loved the multichannel audio feature, but I ended up sacrificing that to use OBS.

OBS allows your iGPU to be of use.

i bought dxtory and have used fraps and they aren't suitable. I use OBS when I can and it does alright but when getting good quality, it sometimes effects aiming and stuff, my pc is good enough for the FPS though. And i expected that shadowplay wasn't perfect, in fact i was almost certain, so i posted here. Just as GVR isn't perfect, it's good. I tried using OBS with the intel graphics as the recorder, but then comes games that use intel graphics instead of the AMD, as well as programs etc, it's also not very supported, so i hope that shadowplay can offer what I need. Thanks for the info however, may I ask you to elaborate on how it performed input lag wise, or crashing wise?

i bought dxtory and have used fraps and they aren't suitable. I use OBS when I can and it does alright but when getting good quality, it sometimes effects aiming and stuff, my pc is good enough for the FPS though. And i expected that shadowplay wasn't perfect, in fact i was almost certain, so i posted here. Just as GVR isn't perfect, it's good. I tried using OBS with the intel graphics as the recorder, but then comes games that use intel graphics instead of the AMD, as well as programs etc, it's also not very supported, so i hope that shadowplay can offer what I need. Thanks for the info however, may I ask you to elaborate on how it performed input lag wise, or crashing wise?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/358175-how-to-why-quicksync-and-open-broadcaster-software-picture-heavy/

Shadowplay seems to be the least taxing way or recording out of all the recording solutions out there, apart from external image capturing devices.

Usually the performance hit is 3%, and in my experience 3% was exactly what I experienced in a test.

The only downside is that the image quality is not the best. So if you require the video to be at a highest quality, I would advise you to look elsewhere. But if you want something thats at your finger tips all the time, without having to think about it much, then its a good solution.

Thanks for the info however, may I ask you to elaborate on how it performed input lag wise, or crashing wise?

You're welcome!

I honestly never have experienced input lag or crashing with OBS. The only problem I've had is fps drops when recording games that are CPU and/or GPU intensive, to the point to where both the game and OBS are maxing out my hardware to 100% utilization. I believe this can even be remedied by lowering the priority of OBS so my game doesn't get frame drops, but then I'm sure my recording will be choppy/laggy as a result.

You're welcome!

I honestly never have experienced input lag or crashing with OBS. The only problem I've had is fps drops when recording games that are CPU and/or GPU intensive, to the point to where both the game and OBS are maxing out my hardware to 100% utilization. I believe this can even be remedied by lowering the priority of OBS so my game doesn't get frame drops, but then I'm sure my recording will be choppy/laggy as a result.

im really just hoping the desktop recording in obs is good, sometimes i just like to record chess or something and obs and stuff really are just annoying for that

good news, how does it perform? Like i said i dont care about frames but no input or lag like that

No input lag of any sort as far as I can tell.  Although the first recording of a session jerks the game for about 1 second before it starts recording.  So if it's the first time you started a recording this PC restart, it will jerk as it gets into gear, but then smooth every time after that.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

No input lag of any sort as far as I can tell.  Although the first recording of a session jerks the game for about 1 second before it starts recording.  So if it's the first time you started a recording this PC restart, it will jerk as it gets into gear, but then smooth every time after that.

thanks

Been recording a lot of gameplays recently and I havent encounter any problems at all. I didn't notice any performance dip either. The only downside is that it records at 60 mbps.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

You can use dxTory with the AMDVCE codec, giving you GPU encoding with the support for multiple audio sources/track files.  

AMDVCE codec

https://github.com/jackun/openencodevfw

Bandicam has AMDVCE support built in and supports 2 audio tracks and saving the tracks as separate files.

If you have a Sandybridge or higher you probably have QuickSync and could use it in OBS but it doesn't support saving audio as a separate file

You can use a combo of dxTory and OBS. dxTory has DirectShow "webcam" devices which capture your game and send it to OBS as a Webcam source, this is more for streaming and recording separate tracks at the same time

You can use dxTory with the AMDVCE codec, giving you GPU encoding with the support for multiple audio sources/track files.  

AMDVCE codec

https://github.com/jackun/openencodevfw

Bandicam has AMDVCE support built in and supports 2 audio tracks and saving the tracks as separate files.

If you have a Sandybridge or higher you probably have QuickSync and could use it in OBS

ill give it a shot once i get home but so far dxtory hasnt been good at all

ill give it a shot once i get home but so far dxtory hasnt been good at all

dxTory is a pig if you use their codec, you need 3rd party ones to make it worth it.  UT.Video and Lagarith are really good Lossless codecs but use roughly 3GB/min

The AMD one I linked is same codec raptr uses so the performance drop will be minimal, I think it maxes out at 50Mbps which is more than enough

its good , works with older games too also with some browser games lol

it also works if the game is windowed

and it has no fps drop

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

yep, Dxtory doesnt record any sound, although I have tried it with every audio source, OBS doe is pretty good, but OBS and Dxtory are already rendering the files on the fly, so if you only have an i3/fx6300 i cant realy recommend that and you should rather use NV Shadowplay

I never ever have it turned off.
Always have fps counter on to and have toggle on/off set to left ctrl.
Works perfect for me and very reliable.

If you have it set to record desktop then it will record pretty much everything that is on your screen.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

The performance hit varies from game to game, but generally I notice zero to minimal performance impact from manual recording. Shadow recording does seem to knock a few frames off most games, but I don't typically use that anyway.

Bear in mind I'm using a pretty mediocre system and I'm usually pushing my games about as far as I can, leaving little room for my GTX 770's attention to be focused on anything else.