Why is the AMD Radeon 300 series re-brand such a bad thing?

The also overclocked the VRAM at stock at a level the 290x cant even reach and on top of that it can be overclocked further. The 8gb is still a win if you ever crossfire these at it will have the VRAM to matter.

But how many people ACTUALLY use a crossfire setup? The majority of 390X owners is NOT going to crossfire, and a single card doesn't need 8GB of VRAM. I'd understand if they made a 4GB and 8Gb version, but only a 8GB version makes little sense, since they could've sold them for a lower price, instead of charging people for VRAM they won't use.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

It's a refresh not a rebrand, they made some improvements, but the reason why most people slacking AMD is because they are not honest about it being a refresh, they are want to sell it as brand new products and that is something I am not ok with.

You just need something to hate  ;)

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Intel rebrands 4770k to 4790K, 4560k to 4690k.

I want to see a lot of hate towards Intel.

Sorry but no, if you manage to completely and utterly fail at THAT, stop being an engineer. Sitting with your thumb up your butt in the past because "it's good enough" is an asinine excuse.

Sometimes, good enough is just what you need if you know you are working on something even better then what you would have managed to create with the time and money at hand.

If Fury X and Fiji is the stepping stone for HBM, does it make sense to invest hundreds of millions more into something that is risky and might flop? NO. You invest what you need to, then make sure sales and thus income remains stable while you work out how to move to the next generation.

Fury, Fury Nano and Fury X is the stepping stones for a new generation. Everything else using GDDR5 at this point is just placeholders for what is to come.

Because the 200 series was a rebrand already.. People want to see something new. Something more efficient and stuff like that.

The 290x was a new card at the time tho. Not a "rebrand" or "refresh" whatever you want to call it. Just saying.

Sometimes, good enough is just what you need if you know you are working on something even better then what you would have managed to create with the time and money at hand.

If Fury X and Fiji is the stepping stone for HBM, does it make sense to invest hundreds of millions more into something that is risky and might flop? NO. You invest what you need to, then make sure sales and thus income remains stable while you work out how to move to the next generation.

Fury, Fury Nano and Fury X is the stepping stones for a new generation. Everything else using GDDR5 at this point is just placeholders for what is to come.

Sorry, but no. AMD fucked up because they threw their money away instead of putting it towards actual R&D because fuck knows why. "Good enough" isn't good enough in the real world.

Sorry, but no. AMD fucked up because they threw their money away instead of putting it towards actual R&D because fuck knows why. "Good enough" isn't good enough in the real world.

Threw their money away where ? Into marketing gameworks and drivers like nvidia ? They have very little money to spend

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

Threw their money away where ? Into marketing gameworks and drivers like nvidia ? They have very little money to spend

They don't have any money left because some heads of the company thought "Hurrdurr, let's buy and license shit!"

Like Nvidia gave you any "more" with the 900 series

Like Nvidia gave you any "more" with the 900 series

They made actual improvements. ;) The overclocking and power consumption on the 900 series cards is amazing.

So when AMD does it, it should be okay, but when Intel gives us 10 % performance improvement since Sandy Bridge, they are hell incarnate? 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

They made actual improvements. ;) The overclocking and power consumption on the 900 series cards is amazing.

They evolved the Kepler architecture in a natural, progressive way. They didnt even manage to make changes that come NEAR the point of being innovative or even amazing.

So when AMD does it, it should be okay, but when Intel gives us 10 % performance improvement since Sandy Bridge, they are hell incarnate? 

You mean, Intel is praised as gods because Intel, and AMD is still bashed upon for not reinventing the wheel fast enough?

They evolved the Kepler architecture in a natural, progressive way. They didnt even manage to make changes that come NEAR the point of being innovative or even amazing.

You say what you want, they're actually making progress at a much faster pace than AMD. It's undeniable.

It's not. nVidia fanboys just need another reason to hate AMD because they knew they offer the better buy everywhere except at the very highest end.

Sorry but no, if you manage to completely and utterly fail at THAT, stop being an engineer. Sitting with your thumb up your butt in the past because "it's good enough" is an asinine excuse.

Isn't that what nVidia did with the 970? It was close enough to 4 gigs. The performance with 3.5 was good enough for the price.

They rebranded the Titan X with half the vram just to compete with the Fury X cause they knew nobody would by a Titan X then. That's all well and good but If I bought a Titan X at launch I'd be pretty upset.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Isn't that what nVidia did with the 970? It was close enough to 4 gigs. The performance with 3.5 was good enough for the price.

They rebranded the Titan X with half the vram just to compete with the Fury X cause they knew nobody would by a Titan X then. That's all well and good but If I bought a Titan X at launch I'd be pretty upset.

The 970 had a problem with one unit being lopped off, but on the whole the card performs fanfuckingtastic.

And here we go again. Same butthurt shit over the Titan line of cards.  :rolleyes:

The 970 had a problem with one unit being lopped off, but on the whole the card performs fanfuckingtastic.

And here we go again. Same butthurt shit over the Titan line of cards.  :rolleyes:

Yeah the 970 is great for the price. Still gave them no reason to lie though...then even keep the lie going after the dust settled with the bad pr.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

It isn't a bad thing, at least not in the extent that some people would have you believe. Both AMD and Nvidia have been doing it for years, the main argument is that the 290x became the 390x, and the fury/fury x was placed above. Earlier, the 7970 went from the top tier position of x970 to the second tier position of x80x or x870 if they had continued with the old way of naming their products.

I know this, and you know this, the average consumer however may believe that it's a decent jump performance with new technologies. After all, the 290x was released early october 2013 and the 390x was released a little over one and a half year later. In reality, there are some minor modifications, some added VRam and the natural performance increase you get from a more refined production technique.  All in all, not worth it to upgrade from a 290x to a 390x, especially not if you got an 8GB 290x.

If the following where true:

290x > 380x

fury > 390

Fury x > 390x

There would have been little to no uproar over this, and basically no shenanigans that AMD is attempting to scam their customers.

And it's not like Nvidia never does this. Remember the Nvidia 300 series? between the 200 and the 400 series? Of course you don't, they skipped that one didn't they. Or did they? Nope, they sold 200 series cards as 300 series cards as OEM in pre-built machines.

What of the 500 series? Same exact chip as the 400 series, just some modifications not very unlike AMD has done with their 200 -> 300 series improvements.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

If there were a half dozen or more GPU designer's for desktop, AMD might deserve a lot of flack. Thing is, there are only 2 real players in the Discrete GPU space, AMD and Nvidia. The 300 series is somewhat similar to what Nvidia did going from the 400 series to the 500 series, where it was just a refresh of the same damn cards.

Another way to look at it is this: AMD are refreshing their 300 series cards because they match Nvidia's current Maxwell lineup for performance at every tier. 390x is beating the 980 in recent benchmarks, 390 is beating the 970, 380 is beating the 960. Fury is slightly weaker in gaming compared to 980ti, but offers an insane amount of compute that will be used in DX12.

Why should AMD spend billions designing new chips when their current lineup compete's directly with Nvidia? The only response left is power draw, drivers, gameworks, or something else unrelated to performance. In truth, an extra 50-100 watts of power draw while gaming is going to cost you maybe a dollar a month in electricity, and drivers are fine.

Long story short, it's a bad thing because... Reasons.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I think their biggest mistake is the naming, their new (top of the line consumer) $500-550 card that the 290x used to be will be the fury non-x for $550, and their second best consumer is the refreshed 290x the 390x, their "enthusiast" $650 card is the fury x. they basically knocked the 1) r9 x90, 2) r9 x80, 3) r9 x70 cards down a tier to 1) r9 fury,2) r9 x90, 3) r9 x80, r7 x70 and this is confusing people, because some people think that the 390x is the top tier consumer card, but both pricing and performance makes it second tier, if they name the non x fury to 390x then would have made the mistake of mismatching architectures in the same naming, so I think knocking down the x90 down a tier was the better decision.

If you think about it, AMD is going to release as many new cards as nvidia did last year:

nvidia did the first maxwell in last gen the 750ti, then they released 3 other later: the 980,970,960.

amd released one gcn 1.2 in the prev gen, the r9 285 then they are releasing 3 around this time: the fury x and a bit later the fury and the nano.

Well AMD re branded their last series cards too. The 79xx series i think to the Rxxxx series. Also when i see that the 290x still outperforms the 390x is some cases is not really cool.

Although nvidia did this too back in the day. So meh.

(i am a nvidia fanboy :)

They still do it, the 970 and 980 are still based on the same 28nm chip with some adjustments made to the power consumption. I hate it when people keep freaking complaining about amd rebranding when they do not realise Nvidia does the same freaking thing since 6XX and they dont get any hate..

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

the 390x can be looked at as a deluxe high end well overclocked 290x with better drivers, better memory and 8 gb of vram For an extra 80 dollars.

A lot of the haters are the same people who will throw an extra 150 for an nvidia matrix platinum that sees a slight clock speed increase over stock, with no other improvements, so I don't see why they are making a big deal out of this slight price increase for a vastly improved 290x.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

AMD bragging about its 8gb of vram is like Toyota bragging about putting tires rated at 200 mph on a fucking Prius.

Good luck ever using that.

• 2 weeks later...

bored so been scrolling though saw this thread and thought about it what i should think amd would be better off is this 

fury x as =390x

fury as =390

fury nano =380x

290x =380

290= 370x

skip 370 or nurf the 290 a bit more

then

7970 = 365x

7950 = 365

7870 = 360x

7850 = 360 then

7770 = 350x

7650 = 350

then all teh shitty media cards

and then the dual fury x should be called fury x

lives on

BAKABT

bored so been scrolling though saw this thread and thought about it what i should think amd would be better off is this

fury x as =390x

fury as =390

fury nano =380x

290x =380

290= 370x

skip 370 or nurf the 290 a bit more

then

7970 = 365x

7950 = 365

7870 = 360x

7850 = 360 then

7770 = 350x

7650 = 350

then all teh shitty media cards

and then the dual fury x should be called fury x

Uh uh. You can't leave a higher power consumption card as a low end card. 7970 consumes up to 300w of power under load. The current 370 only consumes up to 110w. Try putting that "365x" into a low end system. People will be destroying their systems with shitty PSUs that can't power a "365x".

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case