So im ordering this new 5.1 speaker setup, and i think i got the idea of how to connect it to my motherboard from said boards manual, with one exception

It lists how to connect 2,4,6, and 8 channel speakers to it, but for 4,6, and 8 some terminology is used which i dont understand

Specifically these 4 connections are mentioned

Blue (line in for 2 channel)

Green (line out for 2 channel)

Pink (mic for 2 channel)

But for the rest these words are used RS-Out and FS- Out (4,6,8) CS-Out (for 6,8) and SS-Out (only for 8 channel)

Now i think i knows what the letters mean (Rear Speaker, Front Speaker, Center Speaker (and subwoofer), and finally Side Speaker)

What i DONT know is which cables belong to which.

Here is a picture of the cables, Speaker set is "Logitech Z-506

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/attachments/audio/15370d1324218522-stupid-5-1-audio-hook-up-question-lyhhh.jpg

That picture shows them connected to a soundcard, i think, which i dont have, nor do i have those colors... i have these instead

Motherboard is MSI B85M-E45 its M-ATX

http://www.msi.com/media/product/five_pictures5_2890_20140407154551.png62405b38c58fe0f07fcef2367d8a9ba1/600.png

Id also like to know if there is some sort of thumb rule to remember it more easily.

I do apologize if this is too much information, but as this is my first post im a bit nervous and didnt want to give too little

I have these speakers too, 

Everything will plug into the back of your sub (All your speakers and the power and the control dock thing.) 

Then at the back of your sub you can plug a standard aux cable into the back of your motherboard. So standard 3.5 to 3.5 and it will work fine :) 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

That i knew... what i dont know is what cable goes where?

Unless the speaker set lists each cable with RS, FS, and CS... i wont know if its the green cable to pink connector, or orange to pink, or green to blue...

I dont own any of the cables yet, thats gonna come with the speaker... as i understood it anyways...

That i knew... what i dont know is what cable goes where?

Unless the speaker set lists each cable with RS, FS, and CS... i wont know if its the green cable to pink connector, or orange to pink, or green to blue...

I dont own any of the cables yet, thats gonna come with the speaker... as i understood it anyways...

I think I worded my last post badly, sorry haven't slept yet aha

But what I'm trying to say is you don't need those cables. 

You will need the aux cable. Then it comes with loose detachable interchangeable cables which you simply 'clip' in to each speaker. 

For each of those cables on each end it's split into 2, red and black, you plug both red and black into the red and black part at the back of the speaker, then on the sub you do the same into the part you want to connect it to (It will say Left Back, or Right front ect) 

These cables aren't like the one in the picture, you get them too but you don't need them, the cables you use are loose wires at the ends. 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

Im also a bit tired i think... cause im still confused... i dont actually have the set yet...

I think i know how to set the thing up... where im worried is how to take the cables from the set and connect to the motherboard, according to my MOBO manual there needs to go 3 cables from the subwoofer to the motherboard... How will i know which is which.

Well if this doesnt work, i will just wait until i get it so i have something in my hand to write with... OR just try around, its 3 cables theres not that many options.

So im ordering this new 5.1 speaker setup, and i think i got the idea of how to connect it to my motherboard from said boards manual, with one exception

It lists how to connect 2,4,6, and 8 channel speakers to it, but for 4,6, and 8 some terminology is used which i dont understand

Specifically these 4 connections are mentioned

Blue (line in for 2 channel)

Green (line out for 2 channel)

Pink (mic for 2 channel)

But for the rest these words are used RS-Out and FS- Out (4,6,8) CS-Out (for 6,8) and SS-Out (only for 8 channel)

Now i think i knows what the letters mean (Rear Speaker, Front Speaker, Center Speaker (and subwoofer), and finally Side Speaker)

What i DONT know is which cables belong to which.

Here is a picture of the cables, Speaker set is "Logitech Z-506

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/attachments/audio/15370d1324218522-stupid-5-1-audio-hook-up-question-lyhhh.jpg

That picture shows them connected to a soundcard, i think, which i dont have, nor do i have those colors... i have these instead

Motherboard is MSI B85M-E45 its M-ATX

http://www.msi.com/media/product/five_pictures5_2890_20140407154551.png62405b38c58fe0f07fcef2367d8a9ba1/600.png

Id also like to know if there is some sort of thumb rule to remember it more easily.

I do apologize if this is too much information, but as this is my first post im a bit nervous and didnt want to give too little

You using a 6 channel config (5 +1) so the green is your Front speakers or the green cable, the black cable or rear speakers go in the blue, and the orange center/sub go in the pink.

You'll then need to use the drive software to configure the sound card to use them in that arrangement.

Given what little research i got SOME result on the green one just needs an audio out (can probably also use that on my monitor for my console, though not with the whole surround setup)... 

Can i use the others interchangeably like that?? hmm, unless anything can get damaged by it i dont think the risk is high enough to worry.

Regarding driver software... thats coming with the thing yes? Or is it something i need to download manually?

Im probably gonna need to be carefull on that, os language isnt english.

EDIT: This was however what i needed to know... its a bit of a relief that i didnt screw up completely.

Given what little research i got SOME result on the green one just needs an audio out (can probably also use that on my monitor for my console, though not with the whole surround setup)... 

Can i use the others interchangeably like that?? hmm, unless anything can get damaged by it i dont think the risk is high enough to worry.

Regarding driver software... thats coming with the thing yes? Or is it something i need to download manually?

Im probably gonna need to be carefull on that, os language isnt english.

EDIT: This was however what i needed to know... its a bit of a relief that i didnt screw up completely.

Plugging audio cables in wrong shouldn't damage anything there isn't enough voltage for that. Yes you should have a driver CD with the mobo or you can download the latest drivers off the MSI page, for a configuration like that I'd expect there to be some software with the sound card driver for configuring the outputs.

Its not as common on PCs but some sound card manufacturers re-use the audio jacks like this (happens more on laptops where space is premium) sometimes if you have the software installed first you'll get a pop-up saying a device is detected and asking what it is sometimes you have to run the software manually.

Ok, there was no driver on the site... i looked, couldnt find anything.

If im lucky its here by tomorrow (17:56 copenhagen time right now)

if im unlucky i may need to wait until friday as its 1-3 days and i ordered it a little over noon i think

Find out what soundcard you have on the motherboard.

If it's realtek (which it normally is) then go to the realtek website and download it from there.

Get your speaks are plug them in. It should pop up like someone said and say what is it? You click what you like and off you go.

You won't damage anything by plugging it in the wrong one. I've never heard of that happening, and have done it many times myself.

It's not a race to the bottom.

I dont have a dedicated soundcard, its motherboard integrated  but i DO have realtek on it. It acts up whenever i connect my headphones ,theres 2 parts to it, its a turtlebeach, theres one cable from head to adapter, said cable can be plugged into something like a smartphone or a handheld console for audio and mic simultaneously, for pc i seemt o need the included adapter that splits the main cable into 2, one for audio and one for mic...